The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jun 12, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #28,201 of 28,989
You know better than me that this are "cooked" results.
All frequency measurements show clearly the bass behaviour of this.
Official Sennheiser frequency response supplied to the owners is only down to 100Hz.
Step response measurements show clearly that these lack good sub bass extension.
Facts are facts.
Anyway I don't want to start a flame here.
The H800S despite the limitations have excellent bass behaviour and of course you can enjoy all kinds of music without feeling that bass is missing.
But when you hear a headphone with proper bass extension then you realize what you was missing.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 5:39 AM Post #28,202 of 28,989
To me the critical word is response, as in the driver has some form of response to the input signal.

But even so I am hearing and feeling sub-sonic response with my setup and It does deliver a thwack to my noggin when say a cannon or a large bore gun goes off, or when one of those 6' drums gets whacked.
Both of these have near dc frequency components and they do have a visceral response component that is felt along with the acoustic portion of their sonic character.

I'm not the only one who has felt their chest get thumped, let alone their head get whacked.

Try this just to see for yourself.
Use DSP and add 14Hz, +14dB with a Q of 0.53.
And drop the overall gain for both channels -6 to -9dB so there is no digital clipping.

This of course assumes that your system is capable of dealing with what this implies and you have access to a parametric EQ.
And that you have recordings with these 'extended' low frequencies still remaining in them.
Even so you might be surprised.

EDIT, oh and if you want to push this one step further do the PRT (Phase Reversal Tweak)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/781268/the-diyrs-cookbook/210#post_12300653
And you'll notice that the EQ numbers for the SSBB have changed.
All these numbers can be dialed in for your specific system.
So consider these as 'starting' numbers.

JJ

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #28,206 of 28,989
Focal Clear pro , Sennheiser HD660S , Hifiman Ananda Bluetooth and if funds allow Meze Empyrean.

The reason I stuck with the HD800 is that none of the alternatives look as comfortable as the Sennheiser. They are either too heavy (Audeze) or the pads seem too small (Focal)...or they are crazy expensive.

Jun 12, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #28,208 of 28,989
The reason I stuck with the HD800 is that none of the alternatives look as comfortable as the Sennheiser. They are either too heavy (Audeze) or the pads seem too small (Focal)...or they are crazy expensive.

Well, I find the LCDs more comfortable than the 800. They're not for everyone but if you're making the decision based on looks you should try a pair. I like the feeling of being inside them, and the headstrap distributes the weight more comfortably for me than the 800's strap does, and I like the feeling of lambskin more than velour.

Jun 12, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #28,209 of 28,989
Jun 12, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #28,210 of 28,989

HD800 are very comfortable and lightweight but I don't have any problems with the Clers either and mind you that my ears are large.
Empyreans are the kings of comfort though.

Jun 12, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #28,211 of 28,989
Well, I find the LCDs more comfortable than the 800. They're not for everyone but if you're making the decision based on looks you should try a pair.

I have. I find the HD800 more comfortable.

Empyreans are the kings of comfort though.

$$$$$ ☹

Are they worth $$$$$? I remember the days when $$$$$ was an extreme price for an out of this world headphone. It seems that now everything that comes out (good or bad, look at the HD820) costs $$$$$. They must figure, "hey, these guys will pay anything, and the more it costs, the better they think our product sounds".

Jun 12, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #28,212 of 28,989
Well, I find the LCDs more comfortable than the 800. They're not for everyone but if you're making the decision based on looks you should try a pair. I like the feeling of being inside them, and the headstrap distributes the weight more comfortably for me than the 800's strap does, and I like the feeling of lambskin more than velour.
Pads are indeed more comfortable but the headband is not great for a lot of people. I've gotten at least two headaches from wearing mine so far (only used them for 2 weeks). Audeze headband is super comfortable but the weight can strain your neck muscles over time. Pads are not bad but the tight seal can make your ears feel funny (they put pressure on your eardrums).

Jun 12, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #28,213 of 28,989
Unfortunately I have sold both HD800 and HD800S.
I am glad though that you and other members here still enjoy them.
Ah, C'est la vie…

JJ

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #28,214 of 28,989
EafGK25WAAACBQM.png

Am I the only one? The HD600 and HD800 now absolutely destroy the top of my head. I'd honestly rather wear the twice as heavy LCD-4 over this horribly uncomfortable thing. I should look up some third party solutions for this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back