The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 16, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #27,181 of 28,989
Same here. I've replaced the headband and pads with both OE and Dekoni fenestrated. They continue to look and sound as good as new.

I was thinking about Dekoni pads because I like the design.
But then I saw a report on Head-Fi that they changed the HD800 sound for the worse.
Did you experience any sound-change with the Dekoni fenestrated pads?

I don't remember who reported that, it might have been @johnjen ... was it you, John?

Mar 16, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #27,184 of 28,989
I'll be reviewing the full range of Dekoni HD800 pads in the next few weeks, and will report back here. Watch this space...

Great - thanks. We'll be interested.
If it wasn't John who reported the issue (he always replies ...) then I will figure out who it was, FYI.

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:31 AM Post #27,185 of 28,989
I was thinking about Dekoni pads because I like the design.
But then I saw a report on Head-Fi that they changed the HD800 sound for the worse.
Did you experience any sound-change with the Dekoni fenestrated pads?

I don't remember who reported that, it might have been @johnjen ... was it you, John?
Yeah that was me.
They 'muffled' the sound and soaked up the very bottom end WAY too much for me and my tastes.
But then my 800's aren't 'stock' anymore and I have brought the extreme bottom end up to near flat, all the way down to ≈15hz.

JJ

Mar 17, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #27,186 of 28,989
Yeah that was me.
They 'muffled' the sound and soaked up the very bottom end WAY too much for me and my tastes.
But then my 800's aren't 'stock' anymore and I have brought the extreme bottom end up to near flat, all the way down to ≈15hz.

JJ
What would be a good replacement pad for the HD800 then, mate? Hard to find Senns original pads here. What about the other Dekonis?

Mar 17, 2019 at 4:01 AM Post #27,187 of 28,989
I have found that ebay has a 'decent' selection of 800 ear pads.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=HD800+earpads&_sacat=0

I ordered a set from china that look to be a decent copy of the originals.
I haven't tried them yet, but they are ≈ 1/2 the price, so I figured they would be a 'low cost' way to experiment.

As for the Dekoni's, the only pair I have tried are the premium fenestrated set.
https://www.massdrop.com/transactions/receipt/2777524

And as I mentioned previously, it seems to me that they are too thick (that's where the bass takes a hit) and the fenestration (the tiny holes) seem to mess with the soundstage and overall cohesion, coherence, and coupling, all of which are key acoustic attributes I treasure.

And for some setups, the Dekoni's may 'tame' other sonic attributes to deliver a 'better' acoustical experience.
YMMV

JJ

Mar 17, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #27,188 of 28,989
I have found that ebay has a 'decent' selection of 800 ear pads.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=HD800+earpads&_sacat=0

I ordered a set from china that look to be a decent copy of the originals.
I haven't tried them yet, but they are ≈ 1/2 the price, so I figured they would be a 'low cost' way to experiment.

As for the Dekoni's, the only pair I have tried are the premium fenestrated set.
https://www.massdrop.com/transactions/receipt/2777524

And as I mentioned previously, it seems to me that they are too thick (that's where the bass takes a hit) and the fenestration (the tiny holes) seem to mess with the soundstage and overall cohesion, coherence, and coupling, all of which are key acoustic attributes I treasure.

And for some setups, the Dekoni's may 'tame' other sonic attributes to deliver a 'better' acoustical experience.
YMMV

JJ

Thanks JJ for the detailed report. I knew we could count on you to come through :)

Mar 17, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #27,189 of 28,989
Thanks JJ for the detailed report. I knew we could count on you to come through :)
To quote from somebody that said this before, 'It's what I do'!
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha…

JJ

Mar 18, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #27,190 of 28,989
I'm interested too if those pads has some impact on the hd800 sound.
Changing pads will always have an impact on the sound. When your pads grow softer over time, the sound will change too. Not the HD800 but I spent a lot on 3rd party pads for my Grados only to realize I should have stuck with the original ones

Mar 18, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #27,193 of 28,989
Hi all,

I have the chance to get a used HD800 from a audio engineer for US$ 600 (headphones here in Colombia lose a lot of value second hand because of the reduced market). I'm a classic music fan and I'm seriously considering them. Based on your experience, could you please give a list of what to look at in a second hand HD800? Pad wear? Scratches? Serial number?

Thanks in advance to all

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #27,194 of 28,989
Hi all,

I have the chance to get a used HD800 from a audio engineer for US$ 600 (headphones here in Colombia lose a lot of value second hand because of the reduced market). I'm a classic music fan and I'm seriously considering them. Based on your experience, could you please give a list of what to look at in a second hand HD800? Pad wear? Scratches? Serial number?

Thanks in advance to all

Personally, I would want good pads and headband padding. the scratches are cosmetic, if you can live with them, then no big deal...i also would not worry about the serial number personally, no such thing as a bad sounding HD800.

I put new ear pads and a new headband padding on with the official Sennheiser pads and it cost $120

Mar 18, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #27,195 of 28,989
Personally, I would want good pads and headband padding. the scratches are cosmetic, if you can live with them, then no big deal...i also would not worry about the serial number personally, no such thing as a bad sounding HD800.

I put new ear pads and a new headband padding on with the official Sennheiser pads and it cost $120
I wouldn’t worry too much about the pads; you can buy good quality aftermarket pads for cheap. Headband padding is different - as long as it’s intact and still has foam, it’s fine. Scratches are more of a worry for me personally - it just shows lack of respect and care, depending on how deep or severe they are. I’m about to replace the plastic rings on my used HD800 (the only part that normally scratches and chips). Will cost less than $100 and my local Sennheiser agent is doing the replacement. Then they’ll look as good as new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back