The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 23, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #26,596 of 28,989
I think analogue out from mojo into analogue l/r in on hdva600 not balanced but won't be beaten at this price range i feel.

What solutions are there for those that find stock pads uncomfortable. Otherwise i love hd800s soundstage. Apparently delkoni leather no good?
Regarding pads, they are THE factor to change a headphones sound. For the better or worse is up to you to decide.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #26,597 of 28,989
I cannot help you on the 4k phones. I only have the observation, that most people buying those, still own the likes of HD800 and also seem to still use them after the wow effect is over. So yes you probably will be wowed, but how long?

I still feel the HD800 is the best non-stat. Regardless of price or not-so-sustained hype. :smile:

I have come from a DIY T2/SR-009 and the Dynahi/HD800 is within "spitting" distance. :thinking:

Apr 23, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #26,598 of 28,989
I am currently listening to the HD800s for the first time and I have to say Daaaaamn. I was worried about the bass being weak when I put on some infected mushroom but NOPE. Its so clean and precise and gives just enough oomf to satisfy my needs!! The details on acoustic instruments is phenomenal. The comfort is perfect so far--I can barely feel them. I love the open back sound. And wow the mids!! Ozzy Osbourne sounds so real. Theres just so much room to put every little sound its crazy, nothing crammed with anything else. I LOVE THEM!!! I may be gone from head-fi for a bit. Time to relax and listen to music :)

Apr 23, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #26,599 of 28,989
Would the delkoni leather pads have any negative impact on sennheiser's intended sound signature?
I like the sheepskin dekoni. What little change there was was not bad as far as my opinion is concerned. YMMV

The hybrid and fenestrated made more of a change, so i am not using them. Search back through the thread for the reviews for more details.

Apr 23, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #26,601 of 28,989
Congrats kylewit, HD800 are up there with the best. And bang for the buck at the very top. I have gone from HD800 twice, to Abyss/Headtrip, then SR009/Carbon, now on my 3rd HD800.
Lol, I am on my second pair....

Apr 23, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #26,602 of 28,989
Congrats kylewit, HD800 are up there with the best. And bang for the buck at the very top. I have gone from HD800 twice, to Abyss/Headtrip, then SR009/Carbon, now on my 3rd HD800.

What benefits outside the soundstage did the HD800 have over the Abyss/Headtrip & SR009/Carbon, if any?

Were you also running on the same DAC during all that time?

Apr 24, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #26,605 of 28,989
Some User Said Sony 1a/z can Drive HD 800/800s! Is a Silver bal. Cable good or is a copper cable better?
I use my HD800 from my WM1A with the stock cable and the HD650 6.3 to 3.5 mm adapter. Sounds great. I have a balanced Forza Noir Hybrid terminated for 4.4 mm incoming. The stock is also silver coated copper. So the sound should stay the same, which is what I want.

Apr 25, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #26,607 of 28,989
Just used the HD800s to play the Doors '68 Live at the Bowl synced to the video of that performance (muted) played on my laptop. Great experience!!

Excellent and interesting. I also noticed a huge difference going to a pure silver cable and balanced 2.5 over the XLR cable. They are the best...so I hear people saying they are on their second pair lol...what is happening, are they burning them up or something? Lol... glad to hear your enjoying them man... love the Doors...excellent choice.

Apr 26, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #26,609 of 28,989
... i had the pleasure to own the HD800S and the HD800 (stock and modded) ...Considering I measured, heard and reviewed the HD800SD before Tyll , i hadn't been influenced by his own conclusion about distorsion when I wrote my review . My conclusion was I heard some small differences and mainly the very positive change in tonality thks to the tamed 6khz peak and resonnance . the only downside I heard was a slight lack of instrument separation during complex movements in orchestral music. I never heard that much warmth or lack of definition to be honest. Maybe a tad more extension ....
I appreciate your testing and viewpoints highly. (As well as your SD mod).
I gives me a great basis to look upon for comparisons..

Measurements:

HD800S average FR with all raw takes

HD800S Average R and L

HD800S (yellow) vs HD600 (blue/green) vs HD800 (red) FR

Distorsion: (white for total THD, Red for 2nd harmonic,orange for third harmonic, yellow for 4th harmonic)

HD800S

HD800

CSD

HD800S

HD800

Here are mine:

HD800 to an HD800S mod:

FR:
HD800 Ult FR.PNG

notice elevated lower spectum to bass, and gradual elevated upper spectrum, no dips... previously impossible to have without the 6k ringing..

CSD:
HD800 Ult CSD.PNG

Notice decay is faster than .5ms all way down to 1k, no 6kringing like stock and even 800S

Here is a screenshot of the best fabled never released annax mod:

Capture+_2018-04-27-09-43-47.png
At 50db down a slight 1-2ms decay in trebles, (cleanest ever made)

Now here is mine 50db down:
HD800 Ult 50db Right CSD.PNG
At a deep 50db down, a .05-1ms most delay in WHOLE trebles range is proof of no ringing(!)

Distortion:
HD800 Ult Distortion.PNG

notice harmonics below noise floor, also unique is the linearity of the harmonics.
In this one the ambient noise was too high, so the white line (THD) reflects that.
I removed further debatable points as this post not meant for that.
Bass measurements were too skewed because of the ambient noise so I will update in future thread.
One important point to note to make,
is that no other HD800 has ever had a linear distortion in the trebles range and below noise floor... ever..

This was the last HD800S Mod before I sold mine.

I have been planning to post this mod to the comunity when I have the time, which I finally have this week.

About this mod:
There was no mod to make an HD800 sound similar, but better than an 800S, so this was the goal.
This mod give you the bass without the added harmonics of the 800S.
This mod preserves the treble "air" and signature Senn trebles that other mods either kill off(rug liners & creatology foams) ..
Or neutralize (flatten or even out) with other mods,
In order to lessen the 6k resonance.

This is the only mod that eliminates the problem without killin or neutralizing the trebles...
I had bits and pieces of this mod scattered everyhere but will compile into one thread.
This is an all unique mod comprising of nobody else tweaks, liners, and was a year long project that me and another member @ Olegausa accomplished about over a year ago, so is about high time it gets revealed.
The measurements here are from his headphone.

Edit:
The intention with this post is not to make any drama.
Also not to make rediculous money upgrades with fancy worded websites, or hold onto secrets (there are actually) like done in past,
but to help the community to get the most out of the HD800.
The upgrades revealed will be up to the user to try.
:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back