The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 26, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #26,612 of 28,992
good evening ladies and gents.
since a few week i'm a proud owner of a second hand hd800. the price was very good, the condition of the cans in terms of scratches not so much. So i did a paint job by myself and installed the sdr mod. the serial number is 38XXX. It was a bit risky, because i never heard the hd800 by myself. But i love this cans. My imagination of the hd800 was: analytical with a bit lack of bass (nothing you could not control with mods or eq).... when i first listen them with the lyr 2 with LISST tubes my opinion was: analytical:yes . lack of bass: not for me. I like how the hd 800 reproduces the low frequencies! Maybe i will remove the sdrmod. not sure yet.Here a picture:

That is honestly one of the nicest and most tasteful headphone repaints I've ever seen. I just bought another HD800 myself (after missing my old pair) and am thinking of painting it to give it some more sentimental value. Did you just use normal spray paint?

Apr 26, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #26,613 of 28,992
Congrats kylewit, HD800 are up there with the best. And bang for the buck at the very top. I have gone from HD800 twice, to Abyss/Headtrip, then SR009/Carbon, now on my 3rd HD800.
Lol, I am on my second pair....

I just received a used HD800, in excellent shape bought from a Canuck Audio Mart member. This is my ... 5th ... or maybe ... 6th time :thinking: ? :grimacing: I've lost count. Oh, well, different amps with the HD800 every time including this time around. I like to consider myself a relatively well balanced, somewhat fully sane individual but my HD800 affair has me questioning that fact now. :yum: I hesitate to say how much I enjoy it right now with the Airist Heron 5 & my Vintage Sansui AU-719 integrated amp. because I've most likely made similar statements in the past. The only thing that's changed though is that I've decided to keep my other headphones this time around. In the past I would sell some to supplement what I was buying so maybe with a better variety I'll appreciate the HD800 more when I come back to it after taking a listening break.

They are definitely an excellent headphone though, especially with an amp capable of driving them properly. This time around I really like the tightness and proficient sound of the bass coming from them when listening with the Sansui. The amp's high impedance plays a factor.

The other factor I've found that really helps me in enjoying these headphones and this hobby in general is not to think of all the money I've spent so far in the last 5-6 years. :fearful:

Congratulations Kylewit.

Apr 27, 2018 at 6:00 AM Post #26,615 of 28,992
Did you just use normal spray paint?

Yes. spray paint, suitable for all kind of grounds (like plastic). Advises from my side (not a pro in painting): if you choose a bright color, you have to sand all the silver down from edges. for darker colors (like black :) ) it's ok to just roughen up the surface with fine sandpaper. I had to do both rings twice, because the remaining silver on the edges was visible after multiple layers of paint. so i sanded first all the orange and then all the silver down, and after this it worked.
Something i have not done: The geometry of the pieces are complex with a lot of curves. if you have the posbilty it can help to use a wire,strong engough to make a hook at the end and hang the pices in the air. With this you are able spray from all sides without touching it for turning it arround. you can also walk arround and look from different angles to control you have a consistent color gradient... if i would start again i would do this.

Apr 27, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #26,617 of 28,992
Can't wait!
I updated my post with more evidence of having the cleanest upper spectrum.

Did you just use normal spray paint?

the HD800 is tricky to paint becuse of the stock finish.
Get a good paint or it will not stick permanetly
I had to sand mine down to the yellow plastic to get a good bond..
20160221_021121.jpg
It's a big job, so try get a top paint.
This paint looked wonderful but didnt last.
I used rustoleum paint.
Not sure if the company is better now, but I would make sure it is a good fast drying type.
I ended up instead using some brushed on acrylic paint .... with a top spray clear coat sealer..

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #26,619 of 28,992
What was the brand name of the brushed on lacquer paint? What brush did you use?
Painting to get a perfect finish is very difficult.
It was an Acrylic paint with about 4 layers with at least 24hrs in between.
vV46O4H.jpg

I chose calm colors lol.
My wife was a professional at panting designer dolls at one point, so she suggested and did it.
techique was light brushing, and the choice of sprayed on sealer can cover the tiny imperfections or signs of brush strokes.

I wish they had a paint that would stick well onto the HD800 surface,
But for most you will have no choice but to sand surface with fine grit sandpaper.

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #26,620 of 28,992
20180503_194736_001.jpg New HD800S at home. Sounds out of the box - with SE , wait of balanced cable - much clearer with more Details as my Focal Elear. Wondering that Sony 1a can drive the HD800s very good - Volume Level 100! Now waiting for balanced cable and hope that´s a improvement!

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #26,621 of 28,992
New HD800S at home. Sounds out of the box - with SE , wait of balanced cable - much clearer with more Details as my Focal Elear. Wondering that Sony 1a can drive the HD800s very good - Volume Level 100! Now waiting for balanced cable and hope that´s a improvement!
Volume 100 seems a bit high to me. I rarely go past 90 with the HD800SD single ended. Also waiting for my balanced Forza Cable.Noir Hybrid HPC.

May 3, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #26,623 of 28,992
90 is a Little bit to quite - but 95 is good!
Is the WM1A uncapped, do you have high gain? My 90 is on high gain btw. And I prefer 75 to be honest.

From the picture I see you are not on high gain.

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #26,625 of 28,992
I've heard the proposed mod in person. I'm not easily impressed and I was impressed. It makes the stock sound dirty and unclear by comparison. IMO the HD800 is the best headphone out there with this mod in place.
HD800"S" mod Thread is just now coming online.
:beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back