The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 13, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #25,696 of 28,989
I used to have audio-gd nfb12 (supposed to be slightly warmer version to nfb11), and there are other products better it in similar price range for hd800.
Schiit Vali better it for amp only (combine with modi multibit maybe, for dac/amp).
Or for single dac/amp, geek out v2a or v2+ better it as well

What makes you say that the geek out is better?  Better sound quality?  I'm reading that the build quality is nothing to write about, yet there is more power in this little device than larger desktop amplifiers.

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #25,699 of 28,989
  What would be good amplifier around 1500-2500euros price? Questyle CMA800R seems like very nice amp.

The upcoming Chord Hugo². Only few have heard it at shows, but they are full of praise. According to them it's better than the Hugo¹ in every respect, particularly fuller and smoother, which may suit the HD 800, especially for those who renounce damping modifications and equalizing for one or the other reason. Apart from that I would also have recommended the original Hugo as ideal partner from my experience – which includes mods and EQ, though.

That said, this recommendation is primarily for those who appreciate ultimate transparency and accuracy instead of artificial warmth and «authority» (like e.g. from vintage power amps).

Mar 14, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #25,701 of 28,989
@Hopup I find Sennheiser's own HDVD800 in balanced mode is a great match for the HD800.

Mar 14, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #25,702 of 28,989
I have used Xonar Essence Muses Edition for the 800 mainly. I like it very much and it is most certainly good pairing, but I want to try something more expensive and hopefully more refined sound. I would rather take something else than Sennheisers amplifier. Chord hugo 2 seems really interesting.

Mar 14, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #25,703 of 28,989
Innerfidelity reviewer Dinny FitzPatrick really liked the Asus Xonar Essence Muses with the HD800

Link

Good luck on the quest.

Mar 16, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #25,706 of 28,989
Can anyone recommend a DAC that is $200 or below that I can pair with an incoming Burson Soloist SL?
I right away thought about the JDS ODAC, but I can't think of anything else.

EDIT:  I was banking on selling my AKG K712's at this time -- so who knows, if that goes through then the budget can jump up to $400.  If you can list an option for both price points then that will be greatly appreciated!

Mar 16, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #25,707 of 28,989
  Can anyone recommend a DAC that $200 or below that I can pair with an incoming Burson Soloist SL?
I right away thought about the JDS ODAC, but I can't think of anything else.

There is no way that I wouldn't buy the Modi MB in this price range, although it's $50 over your budget. 

Mar 17, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #25,710 of 28,989
  What is the difference between a regular modi and a modi mb?  Sonically, that is.

The mulibit version is designed to have a more analogue sound and eliminate the "digital issues" that most dacs struggle with. The Modi MB is one of the very best dac's that you can get anywhere near it's price often competing with much more expensive products. Here is the answer direct from Schiit:

How about the Modi Multibit?
Modi Multibit has exactly the same inputs, finish, and controls as Modi 2 Uber (and also a large, stylized “M” screened on the top that looks kinda like a space invader—and helps designate it as a Modi Multibit.) But it’s profoundly different from the Modi 2 Uber inside:

1. Architecture: Instead of a conventional delta-sigma architecture, the Modi Multibit uses our own, entirely new multibit architecture.
  2. Digital Filter: Instead of using the digital filter embedded in the AK4490 DAC, the Modi Multibit features our own unique closed-form digital filter implemented on an Analog Devices SHARC DSP—the same filter used in the Bifrost Multibit.
  3. D/A Converter: Again, instead of using a delta-sigma audio DAC, the Modi Multibit uses an Analog Devices AD5547 medical/military-grade D/A converter—the same D/A converter used in the Bifrost Multibit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back