The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Feb 11, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #25,367 of 28,989
  Unless you go for the MOFI remastered Sinatra, you'll most likely be better of with a different headphone than the HD800.
The HD800 is like an analytical instrument. It will tell you the truth about the recording and sometimes the truth is ugly
biggrin.gif
So basically what everyone else has told you already, if you are keen to try the HD800 go used or listen at a meet or a dealer.
Otherwise go for different style of sound. "With a punch" is not really what you should expect from an accurate tool.

Just finished listening to a quick set of Hugh Masekela, Lindsey Stirling, INXS, DCD {sublime!}, New Order, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Alphavile, Enigma, Patricia Barber, N-Tance and what the heck, some Sinatra and Buble. {OK, I'm a child of 80's music and my taste is all over the place}. More musical than analytical; more fun/punchy than sterile.  Bass, detail, air and punch aplomb!  I have a 3M aftermarket cable and find myself dancing in the dark at 3am at times. Properly amped, the HD800 is absolutely the most fun and musical headphone I have heard and I have been to half a dozen meets listening to many different systems {last one had a chance to listen to the Utopia.. meh for the money}. The caveat is that they must  be amped properly. Luckily I have the McIntosh for that but you really don't have to go that crazy. Add Sonarworks into the mix and WOW!
I guess my experience is different than yours. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 11, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #25,368 of 28,989

Just finished listening to a quick set of Hugh Masekela, Lindsey Stirling, INXS, DCD {sublime!}, New Order, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Alphavile, Enigma, Patricia Barber, N-Tance and what the heck, some Sinatra and Buble. {OK, I'm a child of 80's music and my taste is all over the place}. More musical than analytical; more fun/punchy than sterile.  Bass, detail, air and punch aplomb!  I have a 3M aftermarket cable and find myself dancing in the dark at 3am at times. Properly amped, the HD800 is absolutely the most fun and musical headphone I have heard and I have been to half a dozen meets listening to many different systems {last one had a chance to listen to the Utopia.. meh for the money}. The caveat is that they must  be amped properly. Luckily I have the McIntosh for that but you really don't have to go that crazy. Add Sonarworks into the mix and WOW!
I guess my experience is different than yours. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

I think the Sonarworks make the HD800 much more tolerant of my music collection. Before I would look for only really well recorded albums. Now I can enjoy more of my music collection without as much pain, and the good ones sound even better to me.

Feb 11, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #25,369 of 28,989
Interesting observation so far regarding tubes...

I'm a huge Radiohead fan, but did not like their last album, A Moon Shaped Pool.  I listened to it maybe 3 or 4 times over the course of several months, trying to give it a chance, but I could never get into it at all.  That was all on solid state gear.

So I just listened to it with the Lyr/Bugle Boy tubes on a lark, and I am really really enjoying it.  Quite surprising.  I also listened to In Rainbows yesterday and had alot more fun with it than usual.  So I am thinking there is something about the romantic quality of tubes that does something special with that kind of pop music...

On the other hand, my experiences with classical music has been mixed.  I have not enjoyed tubes as much as solid state with that genre.  SS seems to have faster/sharper transients and a more "solid" tone, and I think I prefer that with classical especially with that being the HD800's strong suit. 

I am probably going to snag a pair of LISST tubes and use them for classical/jazz, while using glass tubes for everything else, especially pop and vocals.

Feb 11, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #25,370 of 28,989
fyi "LISST tubes" is like "ATM machine," "pin number," "LCD display," or "The La Brea Tar Pits." It stands for Linear Integral (or integrated? I've seen Jason render it both ways) Solid State Tubes.

Feb 11, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #25,371 of 28,989
I loved my Lyr with LISST, although I only used **** tubes.

Anybody have experience with the Superdupont mod and the anaxilus mod at the same time?

Feb 12, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #25,374 of 28,989
  Interesting observation so far regarding tubes...

I'm a huge Radiohead fan, but did not like their last album, A Moon Shaped Pool.  I listened to it maybe 3 or 4 times over the course of several months, trying to give it a chance, but I could never get into it at all.  That was all on solid state gear.

So I just listened to it with the Lyr/Bugle Boy tubes on a lark, and I am really really enjoying it.  Quite surprising.  I also listened to In Rainbows yesterday and had alot more fun with it than usual.  So I am thinking there is something about the romantic quality of tubes that does something special with that kind of pop music...

On the other hand, my experiences with classical music has been mixed.  I have not enjoyed tubes as much as solid state with that genre.  SS seems to have faster/sharper transients and a more "solid" tone, and I think I prefer that with classical especially with that being the HD800's strong suit. 

I am probably going to snag a pair of LISST tubes and use them for classical/jazz, while using glass tubes for everything else, especially pop and vocals.

I absolutely love Radiohead and the last album a Moon Shaped Pool although good just did not resonate with me like the previous albums. With this in mind and your recent journey into tube what other albums have you listened to that you feel tube just brings out the album in a different and perhaps better way.

Feb 12, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #25,375 of 28,989
  I absolutely love Radiohead and the last album a Moon Shaped Pool although good just did not resonate with me like the previous albums. With this in mind and your recent journey into tube what other albums have you listened to that you feel tube just brings out the album in a different and perhaps better way.

Pretty much everything.  Tubes seem to bring a romantic quality to things.  And the HD800 seems to really love that.  

Feb 12, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #25,376 of 28,989
Has anyone tried a Violectric V200 combined with an Oppo Sonica or other SABRE32 DAC on stock HD800?

The V200 has a reputation for being a bit dark and the SABRE32 a bit bright, wonder if this would be a good combo 

Feb 12, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #25,377 of 28,989
Anybody had any experience with Oppo HA-1? Enough power to drive Hd800 adequately?

How about Schiit Asgard 2 / Bifrost combo?

Feb 12, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #25,379 of 28,989
Asgard2/Bifrost not a good pairing with HD-800, a little too bright for me and most everyone who tried.

Even with the SDR mod on HD 800?

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sennheiser-hd-800-s-tweaked-and-delightfuland-french-diy-response#JC5JtkETj0FREt0r.97

How about with Oppo HA-1?

Feb 12, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #25,380 of 28,989
Even with the SDR mod on HD 800?

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sennheiser-hd-800-s-tweaked-and-delightfuland-french-diy-response#JC5JtkETj0FREt0r.97

How about with Oppo HA-1?

I tried the HD700 on the Oppo HA1 and it was painful to listen to. Very bright edgy sound. Would not bother with the HD800.

HD700 sounds great on a Parasound zdac v2 though. Going to try HD800 on the zdac v2 next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back