The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Feb 9, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #25,351 of 28,989
My HD 800 just had it's rubber insulation cracked too. It cracked itself, didn't twist it or drop anything on it... Oh my lord how expensive these cables are! Bought my HD 800 in 2013 so the cables lasted for four years.

Feb 9, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #25,352 of 28,989
  My HD 800 just had it's rubber insulation cracked too. It cracked itself, didn't twist it or drop anything on it... Oh my lord how expensive these cables are! Bought my HD 800 in 2013 so the cables lasted for four years.

Exactly this happened to me as well for the second time! lol
I returned it and got new ones since it was still inside the warranty and now it happened again like only a year later.
Just ordered an aftermarket cable for these. Definitely not going to spend 200 for the stock ones :X

Feb 9, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #25,353 of 28,989
I prefer the HD700 sound over the HD600 sound with the right amp (using parasound zdac v2 to drive the hd700 currently.)

Thoughts? My only concern is that the HD800 bass might not be enough for electronic music but I was unable to test this. I have heard some say the HD800 has cleaner bass but less of it compared to the HD700 - is this accurate or just an amp issue? I am very satisfied with HD700 bass.

The HD800 does indeed have better bass than the HD700. With Sonarworks, its bass is exceptional for most genres.

I've tried a number of mods to get the best bass out of HD700, and so far my favorites are the "Blendtec®" mod and the "invisible cable" mod. For the first one, take the HD700, and put it in a Blendtec® (you can see this mod applied to an iPad here, and if you don't have a Blendtec®, a Vitamix is an acceptable alternative). Then, puree the HD700 until it is in pieces smaller than 1cm. This bass sounds better than any other configuration I've tried.

For the more reversible "invisible cable" mod, unplug your cable from your amp and from the HD700. Ask a friend or spouse to hide it somewhere in your home. Then, turn on your amp and listen as usual with an invisible cable.

Feb 9, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #25,355 of 28,989
Thoughts? My only concern is that the HD800 bass might not be enough for electronic music but I was unable to test this. I have heard some say the HD800 has cleaner bass but less of it compared to the HD700 - is this accurate or just an amp issue? I am very satisfied with HD700 bass.

Yes, HD800 has a more layered and flatter bass that's less present than HD700's bass.
HD700's bass while controlled is somehow more mid-bassy (although not as much as HD650's bass) and more monotone than HD800's bass.

Late Tesla T1.1 (sn. over 15.000) has more body in the bass than HD800 and it's similarly layered and detailed.
In other words, it's closer to HD700 in terms of quantity, but similar to HD800 in terms of quality.

Feb 10, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #25,356 of 28,989
I wouldn't worry about bass issues on HD 800. It's exceptional for any and every genre. For me it outclassed LCD-2, LCD-3, HE-500, and HE-6.

I would be far more worried about fatigue in long term listening sessions. Sonarworks or manual EQing the HD 800 can fix this.

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #25,357 of 28,989
Hello Everyone, you've got a Newbie here, I apologize in advance for my naïveté.
I've been an (loudspeaker) audiophile since the 1970's (Audio Research, Bozak, etc), and now I want to get into headphones. Unfortunately I've never even had a chance to sit down and listen to well balanced, properly amped/DAC'd headphones (I hang my head in shame), and I can't even find a store with a decent selection! Where do I start?! What am I missing by not having had the opportunity to hear great cans? I want to experience the bliss you all enjoy everyday!
I have a budget of up to $4000, so I can get something quite nice. My problem is, how do you know what I like, what amp goes with what headphones, etc? Seems everyone likes the Senn HD800, so I thought I'd start there. I like all kinds of music (except pop) but I really enjoy louder music with a punch. Female vocals are important. To name a few: Alabama Shakes, Emma Shapplin, Pink Floyd, Dead Can Dance, Chromeo, DJ Krush, Tom Waits, Chemical Brothers, Jonny Lang, Sinatra, etc.
With this style of music, am I safe with the HD800, or do I need something with more punch? If the 800's are ok, can I get some suggestions on building around them? Does it make sense to pick the headphones first, then choose the DAC/amp? How do you know if you like the headphones if you can't hear them with different amps? Seems like the chicken or the egg dilemma!
Sorry for being so elementary, but I want to enjoy music as much as you do, and I have to start somewhere! Thanks to all in advance for any guidance you can offer!

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #25,358 of 28,989
@fauxpas58 : Nope you're not safe with the HD800 and considering the music you listed you may be disappointed. but nowadays a used HD800 is really affordable.

If i were you i'd buy a used HD800 and a Schiit Vali 2.  800/900$ should be enough. Then You'll be able to listen by yourself in good conditions. If you don't like what you hear, try to mod it or use EQ or whatever or sell the Senn and try something else. used headphones is the way to go :wink: .

4K is a huge budget and i think it's kinda risky to spend that kind of money without some experiments before. I highly recommend you to save this budget for now and make the journey step by step. Maybe you can go to a meet and try a lot of headphones there ? 

if you really want to spend safely your money for a brand new expensive headphone rig, i'd say your safer bet is something like a Stax SR-L700 + SRM-006 amp. Great sound , solid combo, Not overly expensive and very easy to love with all kind of music :)

And it comes from a HD800 nut :)  . 

Feb 10, 2017 at 4:06 AM Post #25,359 of 28,989
Hello Everyone, you've got a Newbie here, I apologize in advance for my naïveté.
I've been an (loudspeaker) audiophile since the 1970's (Audio Research, Bozak, etc), and now I want to get into headphones. Unfortunately I've never even had a chance to sit down and listen to well balanced, properly amped/DAC'd headphones (I hang my head in shame), and I can't even find a store with a decent selection! Where do I start?! What am I missing by not having had the opportunity to hear great cans? I want to experience the bliss you all enjoy everyday!
I have a budget of up to $4000, so I can get something quite nice. My problem is, how do you know what I like, what amp goes with what headphones, etc? Seems everyone likes the Senn HD800, so I thought I'd start there. I like all kinds of music (except pop) but I really enjoy louder music with a punch. Female vocals are important. To name a few: Alabama Shakes, Emma Shapplin, Pink Floyd, Dead Can Dance, Chromeo, DJ Krush, Tom Waits, Chemical Brothers, Jonny Lang, Sinatra, etc.
With this style of music, am I safe with the HD800, or do I need something with more punch? If the 800's are ok, can I get some suggestions on building around them? Does it make sense to pick the headphones first, then choose the DAC/amp? How do you know if you like the headphones if you can't hear them with different amps? Seems like the chicken or the egg dilemma!
Sorry for being so elementary, but I want to enjoy music as much as you do, and I have to start somewhere! Thanks to all in advance for any guidance you can offer!

Like Sorrodje said, I highly recommend starting with a more modest setup first.  The audio journey for me was more rewarding by making an ascent and hearing better and better gear before I got the HD800 setup.  That way you can start to find out what kind of headphone sound you like.  Warm, dark, bright, fast, slow, tube, solid state, etc...

I started with the HD600 and an Audioengine D1.  It was an amazing first setup.  I had never heard such amazing sound.  Then I got better and better gear and headphones, learning what I liked and didn't.  Eventually I got an HD558, Beyerdynamic DT880, HD650, Beyerdynamic T90, and eventually the HD800.   With a variety of Schiit amps/DACs along the way.  I like Schiit because they're affordable and punch well above their price range in terms of performance.  

Sennheiser is a great company and great place to start.  My personal recommendation would be the HD600, a great affordable audiophile headphone, and maybe a Schiit Magni 2 uber (solid state) or Schiit Vali 2 (tube).  You can audition either for 15 days, and maybe see if you like solid state or tube.  From there you can start to work you way up to better things and enjoy the journey more than the destination.  

The only downside to this is you might lose money reselling things (if bought new, you will definitely lose money), so if $4K is your one time only budget, you'll likely cut into that scaling your way up and  may not have enough to get a dream setup later on. 

So you can ignore us all and right now get a used HD800 ($700), Schiit Gungnir multibit DAC ($1200) and Eddie Current Zana Deux ($2500) and be done forever
biggrin.gif
 and no one would blame you for it!  You do seem to have good experience with audio already, so you have already been on a journey.  

Feb 10, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #25,360 of 28,989

I would start out with something cheaper and as the other posters noted get used gear first since you have no idea what sound you like.

My suggestion would be HD-650, HE-400i, and RS2e along with a Modi MB DAC and Project Ember amp which will drive all three of these headphones quite well.  My 3 headphone suggestion is one of the most highly regarded dynamic headphone in the HD-650 which has been around for a long time and its what many new headphones get compared to and can be had for $250 used.  The HE-400i is currently very cheap at $275-350 new and is a great example of a planar headphone.  The RS2e ($300-350 used) is a Grado which has a unique sound which is a love/hate with many but if the highs of the RS2e don't bother you then the HD-800 will be no problem.  The Modi MB is $250 and one of the best values in a DAC while the Project Ember ($350) is one of the most versatile amp around due to the changeable output resistance/impedance which will let it pair with a wide range of headphones and since it only has one tube will be a cheaper way to see if tubes is something you like.  You can add a TH-610 or TH-X00 (both around $400) if you want a headphone with a lot of bass and is semi-closed and will not leak as much sound as the other 3.

I have all of these except for the Modi MB (I have the Bifrost MB) and this will give you a very wide range of sound signatures to find your way to sonic bliss

Feb 10, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #25,362 of 28,989
I'll second what legendary Head-Fier Sorrodje says about the STAX system with the L700 headphone:  both audiophile-quality and easy-to-take.  The HD800 may or may not be the kind of sound you're after.

Feb 10, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #25,363 of 28,989
Hello Everyone, you've got a Newbie here, I apologize in advance for my naïveté....
I like all kinds of music (except pop) but I really enjoy louder music with a punch. Female vocals are important. To name a few: Alabama Shakes, Emma Shapplin, Pink Floyd, Dead Can Dance, Chromeo, DJ Krush, Tom Waits, Chemical Brothers, Jonny Lang, Sinatra, etc.
With this style of music, am I safe with the HD800, or do I need something with more punch?....

Unless you go for the MOFI remastered Sinatra, you'll most likely be better of with a different headphone than the HD800.
The HD800 is like an analytical instrument. It will tell you the truth about the recording and sometimes the truth is ugly
biggrin.gif
So basically what everyone else has told you already, if you are keen to try the HD800 go used or listen at a meet or a dealer.
Otherwise go for different style of sound. "With a punch" is not really what you should expect from an accurate tool.

Feb 10, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #25,364 of 28,989
Wow, thank you all so much for the valuable information! I'm going to spend this morning seeking out a meet. I'm in the SF Bay Area, so there has to be out there. I'll be back with what appealed to me, and then we can explore from there. Again, many thanks to you all for your rapid responses and valuable information.

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #25,365 of 28,989
Wow, thank you all so much for the valuable information! I'm going to spend this morning seeking out a meet. I'm in the SF Bay Area, so there has to be out there. I'll be back with what appealed to me, and then we can explore from there. Again, many thanks to you all for your rapid responses and valuable information.

I believe in having "flavors" of headphones—one that's more euphonic and one that's more analytical. If you have 4k to spend, I'd get a used HD800 ($600-800), Mjolnir 2 ($1050, including aftermarket tubes and LISST), Gumby ($1249), and something more euphonic, either an HD600 ($200-250) or LCD-2 ($500-600). Balanced cables shouldn't be more than $300 total and sonar works is 80. That's well within budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back