The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Feb 5, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #25,306 of 28,989
  I wonder if that peak is responsible for giving the impression of more space. I guess perfect is always a chase, but darn good seems to me where I am right now. 

I find the HD800 "different".  I'll put them on in certain moods I'm in. I'll throw on the HD650 or HE400i and also have very similar enjoyment but with less fatiguing moments while listening for longer durations. 

I've actually had a brand new hd650 sponge liner on hand. I put it on my HD800 with your typical felt lined Anax mod. I find my HD800 alot more enjoyable now. It provides a big sound stage (to be honest it so not near what source intended) but with the sponge liner it even reduces treble shrill that can be fatiguing. It still has incredible clarity but i almost find it more engaging and less analytical. 

The stock hd800 liner is awkward when you try to install it over the anax mod. 

Feb 5, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #25,307 of 28,989

In my own experience with this headphone and EQ/SW, the soundstage seems to be directly tied to the treble peak... whenever I've reduced the peak, the soundstage gets altered/reduced... with SW there was noticeable reduction of depth.  The benefit of an easier listen, more bass and a more pronounced midrange outweighed this though.   I don't mind this for pop/rock/rap, but like I said earlier, I prefer not to use it for classical and jazz because of this.  It seems the curse of this headphone is also its blessing (but since I've gotten the Lyr, the treble hasn't been a problem).  This is just my own personal experience mind you, so take that as you will.  

Very true, seems like there will always be a trade off and I guess the best would be to find a middle ground ( I am still searching ) where you still retain most of the transparency and sound-stage while reducing the treble glare and perhaps (if possible) add some more weight and substance to the overall sound without compromising too much. I am sure a solid amplifier such as the Lyr would help remedy the treble but the sonic characteristics will still be there when compared to other headphones that don't have the peak. In the end, even with high end amps the problem is still there, just it is more bearable.  

Feb 5, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #25,308 of 28,989
With the Lyr, I don't find the peak to be a problem (especially with the better Bugle Boys tubes I use).  In fact, the soundstage/treble is one of the best characteristics in terms of presenting a refined and realistic sound image for me so far.  The treble peak was never a huge problem for me.

I ended up getting an SL Waber noise/surge filter, because the power in my house was dirty.  It made a pretty dramatic difference, as the 800 must have been picking that garbage up and transferring it to the treble.  Now that I have that, the Lyr and the upgraded tubes, I have not had issues with the peak at all.  I even played my most sibilant/harshest album (Sade's greatest hits) and it was a smooth, easy listen.

Feb 5, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #25,309 of 28,989
I'm tempted to get the baby orpheus on the classifieds because I think it would so perfectly complement the HD800. The problem, of course, is that you need an amp twice its price to make it sound its best—Aristaeus, BHSE, Carbon, etc., and if you're going that route you might as well give up dynamic headphones entirely and get the SR-009 for accuracy.

I can't get over how Sennheiser has this split personality, giving us the best in euphony (HD650 and the orpheus series) and perhaps the most clinically accurate (HD800, perhaps Orpheus successor?).

Feb 5, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #25,310 of 28,989
  With the Lyr, I don't find the peak to be a problem (especially with the better Bugle Boys tubes I use).  In fact, the soundstage/treble is one of the best characteristics in terms of presenting a refined and realistic sound image for me so far.  The treble peak was never a huge problem for me.

I ended up getting an SL Waber noise/surge filter, because the power in my house was dirty.  It made a pretty dramatic difference, as the 800 must have been picking that garbage up and transferring it to the treble.  Now that I have that, the Lyr and the upgraded tubes, I have not had issues with the peak at all.  I even played my most sibilant/harshest album (Sade's greatest hits) and it was a smooth, easy listen.

I've never used a Waber noise/surge filter. There are a tonne of products out there from isolation transformers from Bryston to passive setups like Blue circle. Even such devices can potentially change sound signatures. My Hifi stereo setup is all conditioned by blue circle. Even my headphone rig is using a Blue circle filter. 

I still feel the HD800 can become more musical with tube gear to roll off the high's while still retaining uncongested output.

Feb 6, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #25,311 of 28,989
  I'm tempted to get the baby orpheus on the classifieds because I think it would so perfectly complement the HD800. The problem, of course, is that you need an amp twice its price to make it sound its best—Aristaeus, BHSE, Carbon, etc., and if you're going that route you might as well give up dynamic headphones entirely and get the SR-009 for accuracy.

I can't get over how Sennheiser has this split personality, giving us the best in euphony (HD650 and the orpheus series) and perhaps the most clinically accurate (HD800, perhaps Orpheus successor?).

Yup. the HE60 is a nice compliment for a HD800. they're both very close and very different and I like to switch between them. You can do a google search and find  a few impressions we gave recently here or there on diffferent pairings including BHSE , a modded 727 and my SRX+. this on is much more affordable than all amplifiers you listed but still offers a very very good performance. 

I fell in love with my HE60 more than a year ago and the honeymoon didn't stop. Nevertheless mine is in absolutely mint condition and it matters a lot. Drivers, Pads, O-rings have to be in perfect shape if you want your HE60 sounds at its best. 

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:28 AM Post #25,312 of 28,989
 I've never used a Waber noise/surge filter. There are a tonne of products out there from isolation transformers from Bryston to passive setups like Blue circle. Even such devices can potentially change sound signatures. My Hifi stereo setup is all conditioned by blue circle. Even my headphone rig is using a Blue circle filter. 

I still feel the HD800 can become more musical with tube gear to roll off the high's while still retaining uncongested output.

The Waber altered the sound alright...made it sound a helluva lot better. Virtually eliminated the noise floor.

Feb 6, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #25,313 of 28,989

Yup. the HE60 is a nice compliment for a HD800. they're both very close and very different and I like to switch between them. You can do a google search and find  a few impressions we gave recently here or there on diffferent pairings including BHSE , a modded 727 and my SRX+. this on is much more affordable than all amplifiers you listed but still offers a very very good performance. 

I fell in love with my HE60 more than a year ago and the honeymoon didn't stop. Nevertheless mine is in absolutely mint condition and it matters a lot. Drivers, Pads, O-rings have to be in perfect shape if you want your HE60 sounds at its best. 

What do you make of Mjolnir-Audio's take on the GES, for a little under 2k? And how do you mod a 727?

Feb 6, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #25,314 of 28,989
@bosiemoncrieff : can't tell for the GES. never heard it.  for the 727 mod , it's a little modification in the feedback circuit i think. Google will help you to find links I can't provide here. 

Feb 6, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #25,315 of 28,989
Member of the club since 2 weeks. My first shot was with @Sorrodje's unit, before all his work on mods, and I already knew I'll end up with one pair someday. So when a SD-modded pair in very good shape crossed my path at the lowest price I've ever seen...well...that was inevitable 
redface.gif

You may read here and there what I'm thinking about HD800, there's no accident those cans are among the very rare ones stat's zealots do tolerate 
biggrin.gif

Ali

Feb 7, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #25,317 of 28,989
So the stock HD800 cable has broken for the second time. I really don't want to pay the price of a Hd600 for a 2nd replacement. Is there any company like Blue Jeans Cable that does a HD800 cable? I'm not after an exotic aftermarket, just a high quality and durable alternative to the original. Thanks.

Feb 7, 2017 at 6:44 AM Post #25,320 of 28,989
  How on earth does one break the stock cable?  It seems fairly well constructed.  

The rubber insulation has cracked both times. They've never been dropped and always stay in the box. It seems they have an insatiable desire to tangle, which is why I assume they break. To think I had a HD 650 cable for 8 years, which only broke when I stamped on it when a Huntsman jumped out from behind my monitor at 4 am.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back