The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Dec 12, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #24,408 of 28,989
Looks like i need to upgrade my dac to the yggdrasil.
Am using the hd800 into a questyle cma800r with stock cables.

The current geek xfi dac sounds too bright in the treble.

Or rather, maybe the CMA800R is bright?
I don't know how you feel though but I've heard the 800R monoblocks since I was actually interested in that system, and just around 2 weeks ago I had the chance to audition them using my own HD800 and own music.
I think they had nice separation and soundstage, but at the same time made the sound kinda thin or possibly what I would call brighter too.
Take my impression with a grain of salt though. 

Dec 12, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #24,409 of 28,989
I don't know how you feel though but I've heard the 800R monoblocks since I was actually interested in that system, and just around 2 weeks ago I had the chance to audition them using my own HD800 and own music.
I think they had nice separation and soundstage, but at the same time made the sound kinda thin or possibly what I would call brighter too.

I wouldn't call the cma800r bright by any means. It's actually very "lush" for a SS amp. I'm looking for a second to go back to dual mono.

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #24,410 of 28,989

Are you using silver cables?
I was and it was excessively bright, and ive now switched back to stock.

Dec 12, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #24,412 of 28,989
Thanks for the help friends.
By the way what is the current highest serial number of HD800(non S version) , should i ask the shop for the highest # as it supposed to sound better than the old ones?

No idea. Mine are the newer model with SN 44XXX however if that helps.

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #24,413 of 28,989
Thanks!
Wow Sennheiser has Sold A lot Of Them (;
I must say they are the bargain of the high end world.
Good build quality, world class sound quality, reliability, as a complete package no headphone can touch it.
Not to mention the famous soundstage which has ruined just about any other headphone for me.
Had in the past 2 HD800, 2 akg k1000, k701, k550, grado sr80.
I liked the HD800 the most, they dissappear and leave you with the music, i let my cousin who is not an audiophile to try them, he was blown away, he said"its like im in the studio"!

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #24,414 of 28,989
Thanks!
Good build quality, world class sound quality, reliability, as a complete package no headphone can touch it.
Not to mention the famous soundstage which has ruined just about any other headphone for me.
I liked the HD800 the most, they dissappear and leave you with the music, i let my cousin who is not an audiophile to try them, he was blown away, he said"its like im in the studio"!

Broken record mode - but if you've not, try Sonarworks Reference 3. Transforms the HD 800 for the better.

I'll shut up about it now (for a bit) :¬)

Dec 12, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #24,415 of 28,989
haha thanks for the reminder (@:
Will definitely try
Still intrigued at how the T1 gen2 compares to HD800 but i can't audition them so don't want to gamble.
They look less open than HD800 and that leads me to belive they are less transparent and soundstage is smaller, but i might be wrong.
I really like the T1's build quality, they look more solid than HD800.

Dec 12, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #24,416 of 28,989
I won't have the AKG/HD800 symphonic comparison done before the new year, but I'm actively soliciting works to a/b, should there be any.

Dec 13, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #24,417 of 28,989
Thanks!

After six years of HD800 ownership their not going anywhere. In my opinion with the right amp you can't beat the HD800 for classical and symphonic metal or anything else that requires a large soundstage.

Utopia may be good but it can be a little compressed on some of the more complicated spacious stuff.

Dec 13, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #24,418 of 28,989
After six years of HD800 ownership their not going anywhere. In my opinion with the right amp you can't beat the HD800 for classical and symphonic metal or anything else that requires a large soundstage.

Utopia may be good but it can be a little compressed on some of the more complicated spacious stuff.

I wonder how much of that is caused by dome (round sound waves which compress when they approach the ear) vs ring radiator of the HD800 (flat sound wave), and how much of that is due to the HD800 driver sitting recessed in a concave cup whereas the Utopia is like a speaker with the driver sitting flush with the baffle.

Dec 13, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #24,419 of 28,989
  I broke out the HD 800 for the night after a long time while going to bed and wearing without glasses. I noticed my earcup positioning is different with vs. without glasses. So how do you guys prefer to wear the HD 800. The earcups are so massive, that you can play around with the earcups for sound tuning purposes.

As a general rule I move the 800's forward so that the earcups touch the back of my ears.
Then I rotate the headband so it rests on the forward half of the top of my head, then move the earcups back so that they don't touch my ears anymore.

JJ

Dec 13, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #24,420 of 28,989
I don't get it. How are programs (or I guess they are plug-ins?) like Sonarworks and equalizer programs supposed to be used? Do you need some kind of software to run them? I am pretty new to this whole thing.

So far I downloading a couple programs like Sonarworks Reference 3 and DMG Audio EQuilibrium and they both just installed a bunch of folders on my computer with various .dll and plug in files. I am not seeing any of the GUI's that people have been posting.

I thought it was as simple as downloading the program and running the .exe 
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back