The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Oct 6, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #23,791 of 28,989
Was listening to my HD800 (6xxx) and something Wagnerian—O hehrstes Wunder from the Solti or Karajan Walküre I think—and had a horrible thought: "A little too full, almost muddy, gonna grab the K1000."

Oct 6, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #23,793 of 28,989
Quote:
  Was listening to my HD800 (6xxx) and something Wagnerian—O hehrstes Wunder from the Solti or Karajan Walküre I think—and had a horrible thought: "A little too full, almost muddy, gonna grab the K1000."

Solti / Decca: I can understand, Decca's full bodied approach to recordings going over the top with some combo's of gear but the 800, yikes!

VK / DG always struck me as lean, bass-lite and bright in the extreme (back in the day). VK's /EMI recordings somewhere in between the 2 extremes maybe.

Let us know what happens with K1000.

Thanks.

Oct 6, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #23,794 of 28,989
Apparently I ended up in a kinda different path.
Just received them 2 hours ago, only started listening 15 mins ago.
Gotta get used to it first.

Welcome to the Crimson club! It's a great match with the HD800. They are super musical together. I love mine!

Oct 6, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #23,795 of 28,989

Interesting. First time I see someone saying HD800 too full and almost muddy.
If anything else, it would be "no bass" or "lifeless" instead.

Welcome to the Crimson club! It's a great match with the HD800. They are super musical together. I love mine!

Thanks! Been only a day and I can see I'll love mine. It indeed adds some musicality to the HD800.
Now I'm kinda wondering if tube rolling can be more beneficial but the thread doesn't seem to be active.

Oct 6, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #23,796 of 28,989
Interesting. First time I see someone saying HD800 too full and almost muddy.
If anything else, it would be "no bass" or "lifeless" instead.

Thanks! Been only a day and I can see I'll love mine. It indeed adds some musicality to the HD800.
Now I'm kinda wondering if tube rolling can be more beneficial but the thread doesn't seem to be active.

I've tried Gold Lions, Telefunkens, Miniwatts and Reflektors. The "Holy Grail" 1975 Reflektor 6N23P is far and away my favorite tube for it. Brings a ton of dynamics to the HD800.

Oct 6, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #23,797 of 28,989

The K1000 is a tricky headphone to use a lot. If your brain gets used to how crazy bright and thin it is everything else (even real life) starts to sound too full. I remember a few years back a guy on here (can't remember the name) said he went to the Vienna opera house to see the Vienna philharmonic and thought it sounded too thick after hearing them play the same piece on his K1000.

Oct 7, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #23,798 of 28,989
I've tried Gold Lions, Telefunkens, Miniwatts and Reflektors. The "Holy Grail" 1975 Reflektor 6N23P is far and away my favorite tube for it. Brings a ton of dynamics to the HD800.

Interesting. Might try but I'm afraid it'll sound too warm.

In fact, I think I already didn't get enough sharp treble from my HD800 recently. I'll probably have to buy new DAC next.
Someone here told me about DAC-19 before and I realize you have one. Is it in general a bright sounding DAC?

Oct 7, 2016 at 5:26 AM Post #23,799 of 28,989
  Interesting. Might try but I'm afraid it'll sound too warm.

In fact, I think I already didn't get enough sharp treble from my HD800 recently. I'll probably have to buy new DAC next.
Someone here told me about DAC-19 before and I realize you have one. Is it in general a bright sounding DAC?

Not at all mate. Even the treble aggressive (IMO) Lyr2 had been tamed by my DAC-19. Having said that, I have decided to 'upgrade' my DAC to Holo Spring DAC. Still waiting for it to be delivered though.

Oct 7, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #23,800 of 28,989

Not at all mate. Even the treble aggressive (IMO) Lyr2 had been tamed by my DAC-19. Having said that, I have decided to 'upgrade' my DAC to Holo Spring DAC. Still waiting for it to be delivered though.

I'm actually looking for a brighter sounding one.

Your Holo DAC piqued my interest greatly, to be honest. But $2k+
Kitsunehifi? Holo? Spring? It seems to me they're referencing the popular Japanese novel, Spice & Wolf, for that DAC 
biggrin.gif

Where is the Level 1 though? Can't seem to see it.  Oh $1699. Not too bad

Oct 7, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #23,801 of 28,989
  I'm actually looking for a brighter sounding one.

Your Holo DAC piqued my interest greatly, to be honest. But $2k+
Kitsunehifi? Holo? Spring? It seems to me they're referencing the popular Japanese novel, Spice & Wolf, for that DAC 
biggrin.gif

Where is the Level 1 though? Can't seem to see it.  Oh $1699. Not too bad

For the Holo Spring, I believe the Level 1/Stage 1 or the basic configuration will have no long waiting time since it does not use Jensen caps which is the reason mine is still not shipped. I can point you to a slightly cheaper price if you are interested, PM me. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #23,802 of 28,989
   For the Holo Spring, I believe the Level 1/Stage 1 or the basic configuration will have no long waiting time since it does not use Jensen caps which is the reason mine is still not shipped. I can point you to a slightly cheaper price if you are interested, PM me. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Not this soon, gotta recover after my Crimson 
biggrin.gif

But thanks for the offer.

Oct 7, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #23,803 of 28,989
  Not this soon, gotta recover after my Crimson 
biggrin.gif

But thanks for the offer.

Haha.

When you do, you know how to contact me. :)

Oct 7, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #23,804 of 28,989
The K1000 is a tricky headphone to use a lot. If your brain gets used to how crazy bright and thin it is everything else (even real life) starts to sound too full. I remember a few years back a guy on here (can't remember the name) said he went to the Vienna opera house to see the Vienna philharmonic and thought it sounded too thick after hearing them play the same piece on his K1000.

It's a dangerous weapon. But it reveals recordings with stunning clarity.

Oct 7, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #23,805 of 28,989
I'm planning on picking up a pair of HD800's. I'm currently running a Modi Multibit and a Lyr 2. I've heard that the Lyr and 800's aren't the best combo. Can someone recommend an EQ setting or a pair of tubes that will improve the pairing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back