The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Oct 1, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #23,731 of 29,010
Thanks!

General orchestra/classical/soundtrack recommendations are welcome as well. I have a feeling my listening time with those genres are about to go way up.

Currently really enjoying the Interstellar soundtrack right now.

I've got about 150 film soundtracks myself but have never listened critically for sound stage specifics. I don't do it with my rock or jazz either.

Some suggestions: I just eyeballed this section in my CD collection and these just jumped out at me, I could listen to any of these right now,  but we're deep into college football season presently. Probably do a a few tomorrow AM with my morning Joe! I indicated composer names where there could be multiple films with the same or similar names. I was going to put some favorites on this list in bold, but dam, there all favorites of mine. LOL

Batman Begins / Beowulf / Chronicles of Narnia (the first one) / Conan the Barbarian (the 2 disc re-make) / The Descent / The Fifth Element / Hitman / King Arthur (Has Zimmer) / Kingdom of Heaven / King Kong (James Newton Howard) / Last of the Mohicans (Trevor Jones  Randy Edelman) / Let the Right One In (Soderqvist) / Mothman Prophesies / The New World / The Revenant / Signs / Snow Falling on Cedars / Stoker / Transformers (the 1st one) / Troy / Unbreakable / Under the Skin / Unstoppable / The Village / Van Helsing.

Oct 1, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #23,732 of 29,010
I've got about 150 film soundtracks myself but have never listened critically for sound stage specifics. I don't do it with my rock or jazz either.

Some suggestions: I just eyeballed this section in my CD collection and these just jumped out at me, I could listen to any of these right now,  but we're deep into college football season presently. Probably do a a few tomorrow AM with my morning Joe! I indicated composer names where there could be multiple films with the same or similar names. I was going to put some favorites on this list in bold, but dam, there all favorites of mine. LOL

Batman Begins / Beowulf / Chronicles of Narnia (the first one) / Conan the Barbarian (the 2 disc re-make) / The Descent / The Fifth Element / Hitman / King Arthur (Has Zimmer) / Kingdom of Heaven / King Kong (James Newton Howard) / Last of the Mohicans (Trevor Jones  Randy Edelman) / Let the Right One In (Soderqvist) / Mothman Prophesies / The New World / The Revenant / Signs / Snow Falling on Cedars / Stoker / Transformers (the 1st one) / Troy / Unbreakable / Under the Skin / Unstoppable / The Village / Van Helsing.

Batman begins is indeed a fantastic soundtrack. Thanks for the suggestions, adding some of them on tidal now.

Oct 1, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #23,733 of 29,010
Just received my hd800 today!

Running them on my Bifrost/Valhalla 2 system. My current reference headphones have been the hd650 for the last year or so.

The SDR mod is installed.

Need some music recommendations here to really test the soundstage. The type of orchestrations I like are stuff like The Planets by Gustav Holst and soundtracks like The Last Samurai.

Enjoy!!
smily_headphones1.gif
 Will be looking forward to your impressions once you get some hours on them. One thing is for certain, they will be completely different than the HD650's! 

Oct 1, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #23,734 of 29,010
I have the HD800 balanced with the HDVD800 and do not have issues with treble spikes or sibilance. My only complaint there is the DAC. Single ended to the Grace m9XX also do not have issues with treble spikes or sibilance. My only complaint there is the Amp, which works fine for what it is, but lacks punch and extension.

Oct 1, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #23,735 of 29,010
Any recommendations for great balanced cables?

Norne Draug2, Nordost, etc come to mind

Norne Draug 2 and WyWires Red are both a strong value.

Double Helix makes some nice stuff, though I've only tried a few of their products. I have an DHC 8-wire Neucleotide Macromolecule OCC balanced cable and it is very balanced with smoother highs and fuller bass, an extremely emotionally engaging midrange and vastly improved layering in terms of soundstage depth imaging. I think the equivalent cable sells for about $550, but you can DIY one for under $200, I think.

My favorite is probably the DanaCable Lazuli (which just dropped the $649). That one is much fuller through the mids and bass and extremely controlled up top. Separation improves very noticeably and details start approaching SE-009 levels. It is by far the best cable I've heard with the HD800, and easily bests the Kimber Axios, which retails for $300 more than the Dana.

Oct 2, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #23,737 of 29,010

Running them on my Bifrost/Valhalla 2 system. My current reference headphones have been the hd650 for the last year or so.

Need some music recommendations here to really test the soundstage. The type of orchestrations I like are stuff like The Planets by Gustav Holst and soundtracks like The Last Samurai.

"Sessions From The 17th Ward" by Amber Rubarth is a must-have

Oct 2, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #23,738 of 29,010

Der Ring des Nibelungen (Georg Solti & Vienna Philharmonic). I could add others, but that will do.

Oct 2, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #23,739 of 29,010

My favorite is probably the DanaCable Lazuli (which just dropped the $649). That one is much fuller through the mids and bass and extremely controlled up top. Separation improves very noticeably and details start approaching SE-009 levels. It is by far the best cable I've heard with the HD800, and easily bests the Kimber Axios, which retails for $300 more than the Dana.

I've been waiting with bated breath since you announced that you had one you were evaluating.

PS: How's the flexibility of the cable and is the exterior jacket noisy if at rubs against furniture or clothing? I'm currently using 10 ft of Moon Audio Black Dragon and it is extremely flexible and has a very smooth exterior jacket.

Thanks

Oct 2, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #23,740 of 29,010
Oct 2, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #23,742 of 29,010
  what headphone has a better soundstage and imaging vs HD800 ?

If you mean wider, probably none.  The Abyss is very close and the K1000 is about in par from what I recall.

There are others, however, that offer better separation or 'air' that have narrower stages (to SR-009's and Utopia's, for example).  So I guess it depends on what you mean by 'better'.

Oct 2, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #23,743 of 29,010

T1.1 can be more focused and more circular. Similar depth, less width.
Better or worse is a matter of preference, I think.

Oct 2, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #23,744 of 29,010
I've been waiting with bated breath since you announced that you had one you were evaluating.

PS: How's the flexibility of the cable and is the exterior jacket noisy if at rubs against furniture or clothing? I'm currently using 10 ft of Moon Audio Black Dragon and it is extremely flexible and has a very smooth exterior jacket.

Thanks

I will have a review out by the end of the month. I'm reviewing Dana's new reference cable for the Abyss in combination with his standard cables. I had to get the Questyle Golden review out first for this month first.

To answer your questions, the upper portion of the cable above the split is fairly stiff, being that it is short and the cable is extremely thick. In regular operation, it is fine, but it does not twist easily when you are trying to plug it in for the first time. After the split, it is fairly flexible - not as much as a thin cable, but I have no complaints whatsoever. If you train it to coil neatly, it will be the easiest cable you'll ever have to maintain.

The cable has an excellent sheath with zero microponics or noise whatsoever. Couldn't ask for better there.

Oct 2, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #23,745 of 29,010

Kelvin,

Are you asking about accuracy of the presentation or in the realm of outside head experience?

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back