The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 1, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #22,066 of 28,989
  Laid back? I dunno, the HD800's are many things, but laid back isn't really one of them, IMO.
I agree with him, the HD800's are excellent for electronic. They're fast, clean, aggressive, and detailed, which is perfect for the faster and more electronic electronic music. The electronic that heavily uses recorded sounds and acoustic instruments performs extremely well with the HD800's as well because it moves even further into the HD800's strengths.

Interesting. What is Sonarwork's compensation curve? It looks very similar to raw measurements without HRTF, which seems odd.

Yeah I agree that the hd800 are anything but laidback and that the detailed clean sound somewhat lends itself to electronic. However they are just not voiced for electronic. I would actually go as far to say they are the polar opposite what you want for electronic. Bass light with a treble spike. Yes you can EQ the hd800 but I think your much better off getting a headphone that is voiced for electronic that has a slightly rolled off treble and full sounding bass.

The original Audeze ambassadors of yore was the who's who of dnb. If you don't want to take my word maybe Goldie, Bailey and Reid Speed? The lcd-X is to die for with electronic. The hd800...well that is rock in my books...at least to me that is what the hd800's are voiced for.

Mar 1, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #22,067 of 28,989
So I had to get a bit more extreme to hear what they were actually thinking...

So far I like it quite a bit. But no intention to go any higher above 50 Hz.

Mar 1, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #22,068 of 28,989
  It's interesting that you brought up STX. I have a STX II and I always wondered whether it was enough to drive the HD800. The reason why I got a m9XX is because I felt that I would "need" a more expensive DAC/amp to drive something like the HD800 which is supposed to be very dependent on having good gear. After getting the m9XX, while noticing a subtle difference from the STX II, I felt like it was mostly the same. Compared to your other DAC's and amps, do you feel like the STX is enough to properly drive your HD800? I felt like like using the 7.1 setting on the STX II gives me better directional sound than have an external stereo DAC/amp.
That's why I like the T1 over the HD800 for certain things. I felt like the T1 replaced whatever I used the HD700 for and does it better in every way practically except for the comfort and weight. Every time I tried going back to the HD700 because I missed it, I couldn't use it for more than an hour. Perhaps my taste has changed and I just prefer brighter sounds now.

Another reason I don't use the HD-800 or T-1 for gaming is that to me the STX does not drive either of them properly, they can be overly bright, sometimes harsh sounding and also thin sounding, to me a least.  But on my BH Crack both the HD-800 and T-1 sound great, smooth and mellow with good clarity and a sound that I enjoy.  I don't want to keep moving the BH Crack from one computer to another so the HD-700 fits that roll being easier to drive and provides me that nice surround effect for gaming and movie watching from either the STX or HT receiver.

If the T-1 works for you that great, and if you say your taste has changed to prefer brighter sounds that is possible since we are getting older and they say that the ability to hear high frequency starts to diminish with age, I know mine has.

Mar 1, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #22,069 of 28,989
DavidA, That's exactly why I kept my HD700 for gaming. I am not going to lug an amp into another room anytime I want to play a game. Plus they are a lot easier to drive from smaller sources.

The HD700 is still a very good headphone, even at it's now reduced price.

Mar 1, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #22,070 of 28,989
That makes sense. I'm lucky that my entire setup is shared between my PS4, PC and Oppo player.

Mar 1, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #22,071 of 28,989
If you're after electronic, it seems to me HE6 should be your destination. It's fast, aggressive, tight, and has plenty of bass and detail—what's not to like?

Mar 2, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #22,074 of 28,989
HE6 has a etchy unnatural treble like most Beyer cans, IMO.
If HD800 is Bright then its because your listening to a poor Master recording.

Mar 2, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #22,075 of 28,989

Don't forget bad amps! I've heard certain Superlux amp for $100 makes everything silky smooth and magically eqs 6khz down by 5dB. 
tongue.gif

Mar 2, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #22,076 of 28,989
HE6 has a etchy unnatural treble like most Beyer cans, IMO.

I'll second the amps statement, without the silly.

The first time I heard HD800 on my own equipment was on JDS Labs The Element. I have had a vastly different experience of late. I was glad I was able to surprise many a first time listener this past weekend at a headphone meet by having them listen on DNA Sonett.

Mar 2, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #22,077 of 28,989
The deal I was offerd £1200 for 2nd hand hdvd800, hd800 and ballanced cable just became even better. Looks like the serial nubmers where never registered with Sennheiser - so seems I have the 2 year warrenty.....

Mar 2, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #22,079 of 28,989
  I'll second the amps statement, without the silly.

The first time I heard HD800 on my own equipment was on JDS Labs The Element. I have had a vastly different experience of late. I was glad I was able to surprise many a first time listener this past weekend at a headphone meet by having them listen on DNA Sonett.

I'm not surprised, as the house sound of Donald's amps cause the HD800 to really sing with emotion and engagement.

Mar 2, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #22,080 of 28,989
  Another reason I don't use the HD-800 or T-1 for gaming is that to me the STX does not drive either of them properly, they can be overly bright, sometimes harsh sounding and also thin sounding, to me a least.  But on my BH Crack both the HD-800 and T-1 sound great, smooth and mellow with good clarity and a sound that I enjoy.  I don't want to keep moving the BH Crack from one computer to another so the HD-700 fits that roll being easier to drive and provides me that nice surround effect for gaming and movie watching from either the STX or HT receiver.

If the T-1 works for you that great, and if you say your taste has changed to prefer brighter sounds that is possible since we are getting older and they say that the ability to hear high frequency starts to diminish with age, I know mine has.

I always wondered about that, whether when we age we lose the upper frequency, does that make us more sensitive to treble or less. I see so many variation of treble sensitivity on the forums, which makes me wonder whether that is due to age.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back