The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Feb 24, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #22,006 of 28,989
My good friend peterek got ahold of my hd800 and shortly had to have them. So I sold him my headphones. In no times he was trying different painting techniques on them. After painting these he said he wanted to try something different. 

Feb 24, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #22,007 of 28,989
Well I am super impressed with my HD800. I've heard them on several occasions ( my old gear and at meets), but on my V800 DAC and Phonitor Mini... it's just amazing. You'd think having a T1 and HD700 would give you an idea of what to expect...but It's so drastically different from what I remember hearing. Maybe it was the Music Hall DAC and X-CANV8P limiting the HD800 in the past... but it's different now.

Full impressions are here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/398829/the-sennheiser-hd-800-the-first-listen-the-first-review/5850#post_12371321

Feb 25, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #22,008 of 28,989
So recently I've gone through some changes in my computer setup where now all I have is a laptop and spend a lot less time at home than previously so time with my HD800 is limited. Actually it's so limited I haven't touched my home setup in months (3 or more). I have a Violectric V800 dac and Auralic Taurus amp. I'm thinking of consolidating into an all in one device that takes up less retail space than my current setup and keeping the HD800 or downgrading to an all in one and a lower tier headphone. I know option two probably revokes my audiophile rights around here but it is what it is.

If I were to sell my dac and amp and go for an all in one, are there any decent options that can serve the HD800 well that doesn't take up too much space. Since my current setup is too good for my uses (or lack of use) I wouldn't want to spend more than 1k on it. I know companies such as audio gd have a bunch of all in one's but they take up a lot of retail space, are heavy and located in China so customer support/language barrier could potentially be an issue.

Of course I am in no rush since my current setup is pretty much my "end game" setup but I see no point in having close to 3k in components I don't use.

Geek out v2. I could easily live with the GOv2/hd800 combo. Balanced mode is astonishingly good with hd6x0 and hd800.

Feb 25, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #22,009 of 28,989
My good friend peterek got ahold of my hd800 and shortly had to have them. So I sold him my headphones. In no times he was trying different painting techniques on them. After painting these he said he wanted to try something different. 

How in the world did he get a marble finish!
Wow!

Feb 25, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #22,010 of 28,989
Geek out v2. I could easily live with the GOv2/hd800 combo. Balanced mode is astonishingly good with hd6x0 and hd800.

I remember the Geek out first version was astonishingly good, lol
So I can imagine the V2 to be really really high level .
:)

Feb 25, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #22,011 of 28,989
  Well I am super impressed with my HD800. I've heard them on several occasions ( my old gear and at meets), but on my V800 DAC and Phonitor Mini... it's just amazing. You'd think having a T1 and HD700 would give you an idea of what to expect...but It's so drastically different from what I remember hearing. Maybe it was the Music Hall DAC and X-CANV8P limiting the HD800 in the past... but it's different now.

Full impressions are here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/398829/the-sennheiser-hd-800-the-first-listen-the-first-review/5850#post_12371321

I spent 5 years with the T1 before moving onto to the HD800 last year. I agree with most of your early summation. The HD800 is a superior phone in every facet aside from mid bass quantity, which it trades off for more depth. The mid range in particular is significantly better and just has more resolution. Unfortunately the treble response is a little bit troublesome for me, but I actually blame that on harsh recordings a lot of the time. The solution for me is listening at slightly lower volumes than normal, and the HD800 is one of the few headphones that don't lose all their dynamics when at low volumes. Another thing that isn't mentioned as much is the comfort - you can wear these things for hours with no ill effects thanks to the huge cups.

Overall I think the sound signatures are very similar, to the point where I don't believe it's worth keeping both. I'm just keeping the T1s as backup since the resell value is pretty low these days.

Feb 25, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #22,012 of 28,989

I spent 5 years with the T1 before moving onto to the HD800 last year. I agree with most of your early summation. The HD800 is a superior phone in every facet aside from mid bass quantity, which it trades off for more depth. The mid range in particular is significantly better and just has more resolution. Unfortunately the treble response is a little bit troublesome for me, but I actually blame that on harsh recordings a lot of the time. The solution for me is listening at slightly lower volumes than normal, and the HD800 is one of the few headphones that don't lose all their dynamics when at low volumes. Another thing that isn't mentioned as much is the comfort - you can wear these things for hours with no ill effects thanks to the huge cups.

Overall I think the sound signatures are very similar, to the point where I don't believe it's worth keeping both. I'm just keeping the T1s as backup since the resell value is pretty low these days.

See I don't think they sound the same at all on my rig. The HD800 has quite a bit more bass than my T1, though the T1's is tighter. Treble sounds a bit edgy on the T1 while it's extended and smooth on the HD800. Midrange is where we see the biggest difference. The HD800's midrange is so pure sounding, smooth, and very articulate. The T1 sounds harder and not as detailed or transparent.

Feb 25, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #22,013 of 28,989

See I don't think they sound the same at all on my rig. The HD800 has quite a bit more bass than my T1, though the T1's is tighter. Treble sounds a bit edgy on the T1 while it's extended and smooth on the HD800. Midrange is where we see the biggest difference. The HD800's midrange is so pure sounding, smooth, and very articulate. The T1 sounds harder and not as detailed or transparent.

To me it's the same sound signature, but the HD800 is just plain better on a technical level. Maybe it's because of my amp but I definitely have more mid-bass on the T1s. I actually find detail levels pretty similar between the two cans, but sound stage is no contest.

Feb 25, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #22,014 of 28,989

To me it's the same sound signature, but the HD800 is just plain better on a technical level. Maybe it's because of my amp but I definitely have more mid-bass on the T1s. I actually find detail levels pretty similar between the two cans, but sound stage is no contest.

I guess we'll agree to disagree. That's what cool with this hobby. My headphone could sound different on another rig, and people can discuss this.

I've been listening to mine a lot today. Really love the soundstage on these. Super big and airy. Bass and midrange presentation is one of my favorite things about these headphones.

Feb 26, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #22,015 of 28,989
DavidMahler adjudicated the bass complaint issue with the HD800 in his battle of the flagships—the cans are unusually amp dependent, and can sound warm on one rig and cold on another. Find an amp that works for you; the HD800s will deliver.

Feb 26, 2016 at 2:39 AM Post #22,016 of 28,989
Im considering an extra HD800 for this bargain price..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SENNHEISER-HD800-HD-800-HEADPHONES-NEW-BOXED-FACTORY-SEALED-OFFICIAL-WARRANTY-/121859872169?hash=item1c5f6a15a9:g:NKsAAOSw~bFWNgLW

Feb 26, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #22,017 of 28,989

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SENNHEISER-HD800-HD-800-HEADPHONES-NEW-BOXED-FACTORY-SEALED-OFFICIAL-WARRANTY-/121859872169?hash=item1c5f6a15a9:g:NKsAAOSw~bFWNgLW

great price for new.  Last one.!

Feb 26, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #22,018 of 28,989

Don't be ridiculous!!!

You already have a pair. Save that for another hot deal that might come along. Eg an Audeze, a he560. Whatever suits that would be different to what you have that you might want.

Let me be the one that reminds you of some common sense, for crying out loud.

(Just like I sometimes need)

Feb 26, 2016 at 3:41 AM Post #22,020 of 28,989
Maybe last one, but the seller keeps gettin new stock and at that price it makes no sense gettin them secondhand. 
Would like to spoil my father but I have to save money for a house. 

If I where to get some new cans I would get Stax 007 again. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back