The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Dec 13, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #21,511 of 28,989
For me I couldn't tell a difference. So if I had to blind test, I would be guessing (if volume matched).

Dec 13, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #21,512 of 28,989
I own the Audeze LCD-2.2 (pre-Fazor) and HD 800. I love them both, but for different kinds of songs. I'm a big bass fan, so the HD 800 wasn't satisfactory for certain kinds of electronic music. But recently I've been trying to get the best of both worlds.

I've been playing around with equalizing the HD 800, using a software parametric equalizer. After raising the lows and lowering the highs a bit, and a lot of tweaking, I've finally got it sounding like a better LCD-2 with more dynamic range and richer/more enjoyable vocals, but roughly the same bass as the LCD-2. The bass impact is not quite as amazing as the LCD-2 (and I don't think that could ever be replicated on a non-planar magnetic), but the quality, tightness, and quantity of the bass are all pretty much the same, and the impact is still great.

I know many people recommend modding the 800 to reduce some of the highs a bit, but I'm wondering if I'm missing out on anything by not doing that and just sticking to my EQ? I'd be interested in modding it, but 1) I'm very clumsy and would likely damage or destroy the headphones in the process, and 2) wouldn't want to do anything irreversible. So I'd like to avoid it unless I'm seriously missing out on some low range improvements by not doing so.

If it matters, I'm using a Gungnir Multibit DAC and Bryston BHA-1 amp. Balanced aftermarket cables.

Dec 13, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #21,513 of 28,989
Acoustically modding the HD800 helps get rid of the 6khz resonance, EQ only affects the frequency response, with the resonances still being there.

When EQ'd the mid-bass of my HD800 had greater impact than any Audeuze I've tried.  Planar magnetics aren't known for their energetic impact IMO, but their control of the bass is unmatched. 

Dec 14, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #21,515 of 28,989
Acoustically modding the HD800 helps get rid of the 6khz resonance, EQ only affects the frequency response, with the resonances still being there.

When EQ'd the mid-bass of my HD800 had greater impact than any Audeuze I've tried.  Planar magnetics aren't known for their energetic impact IMO, but their control of the bass is unmatched. 
In my experience planar's don't have "unmatched bass control".
Planar's can have impact but they tend to sound like a whump or thud instead of an actual musical note.
IOW they lack resolution and the intonation that 800's can provide.

When dialed in, the resolution, extension, and impact of 800's will better the planar's in all of these respects.
Granted it does take some fussing but the end results are sublime.
I use the Sonarworks EQ along with several other tweaks that provide a very satisfying musical experience from well below 20Hz all the way up.

And 800's can provide detail, power and impact down low (and lower into the sub-sonic region) to the extent that it can rattle my head and vibrate my chest, or is that vibrate my head and rattle my chest…
Either way, the results are better than any other headphone I've heard, and by a wide margin.

Exciting Times in Audio Indeed!

JJ
ps. my latest experiments in dealing with the resonances 'issues' has been quite beneficial.
I hope to get some measurements made to reveal just how effective they truly are.
And then get a custom compensation curve to use to bring the FR to near flat.

Dec 14, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #21,516 of 28,989
  On another forum people are suggesting that without  balanced signal chain only 30%-50% of the HD800 potential is reached. Do people on here agree with this figure? It is rather higher than I expected I have to say.

The whole balanced amp thing is completely misunderstood by many people. To take a step back, there are a number of different common amplifier topologies used, ranging from OTL tube amps, transformer-coupled, hybrid amps and various solid state designs. One of the design choices a manufacturer has is to make a design using 4 amp stages in a differential configuration instead of two. That is: Instead of just a left and right amplifier stage, the signal returns also have an amplifier stages. Since the signal return on a regular amp is also the common ground, a balanced or differential design requires a connection with separate pins for the signal returns, and thus a re-cable or alternative cable for the headphones.

So the reason balanced amps get a lot of attention is that they have double the amplification and require a different connection. They also get attention because they seem to sound better than the single-ended connection out of the same amp. That gets confused as the idea of them sounding better than single-ended amps in general, when there are plenty of equally powerful and capable single-ended designs out there that are just as capable.

If you're buying a balanced amp for the HD800s or any other headphones, it is best to use it in its intended balanced configuration, at least for the headphones, if not the input as well. 

Can anyone assist me on deciding between a used Valhalla 2 or used Burson Soloist SL?

This would be an upgrade from the O2, and my source is the schiit modi.

If the Valhalla 2 is cheaper, I'd get that IMO, if you're only going to use it with HD800s and high-impedance cans. 

Dec 14, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #21,517 of 28,989

In my experience planar's don't have "unmatched bass control".
Planar's can have impact but they tend to sound like a whump or thud instead of an actual musical note.
IOW they lack resolution and the intonation that 800's can provide.

The subjective feeling of impact for me, I think, may also partly be a result of the tight seal the LCD-2 creates around my head when I fit it properly. Impact may not be the right word here; it's just a more "close" bass, I guess? I'm not well-versed in audio science, I just know the LCD-2 gives a booming bass experience that has a different quality from the HD 800's. And I'd argue the LCD-2's bass doesn't feel like a "thud"; both headphones have very tight and controlled bass notes with my gear, in my opinion. The HD 800 is just better for all other parts of the spectrum.

The HD 800 still has excellent bass, don't get me wrong. I was actually quite surprised at how intense the HD 800's bass can be when equalized. Throw in the advantages HD 800 gives in all other areas, and it's my preference now.

I suppose my question is how much I should research modding and if it's worth sending to someone to mod it for me. Jazz's response here interestingly seems to say that given hypothetical perfect EQ, modding isn't necessary. Is this practically achievable?

I agree with you on the approach to eliminate the cause of resonances and reflections instead of fixing the result. But it's not possible to completely eliminate the HD 800's inner reflections, there's simply not enough room for corresponding damping measures. Fortunately those that are possible have a greater audible effect than the measurings would suggest. But to perfection the sound you can't renounce electrical equalizing, and if done in the digital domain it should have none of the side effects of the hardware counterparts.

Ringing is indeed possible with increased frequency bands, especially narrow bandwidths. But keep in mind that all phase distortions from the equalizer theoretically will compensate for the phase distortions produced by the headphone – since every ripple and dip in the amplitude reponse comes with a corresponding phase distortion, so equalizing them theoretically restores a flat phase response as well. Theoretically – because it's not possible to perfectly and exactly equalize the amplitude response of a sound transducer with all its erratic irregularities. After all the ringing produced by an increased frequency band has a beneficial effect in that it erases the «negative» ringing produced by a corresponding dip if the latter and the compensation curve are perfectly congruent.

Dec 14, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #21,518 of 28,989
Hello let me ask a question.
i know this question is better for speaker thread. but there is good kind HD800 users who own loudspeaker also in this thread.
I have been searching loudspeaker setup which has same SQ with well driven HD800.
Is there any good loudspeaker setup outthere for cheap budget? Sould i try  new B&W 800 series?
I did bought KEF LS50 pair as jude's recommend at head-fi buying guide of speaker section.
KEF LS50 sound great! They did blown me away. but HD800s little bit sounds better.
but my modded and EQed and well amped HD800s sound better than KEF LS50! I don't know why?
Do you know the reasons? whats wrong with my choice of gear? Please teach me.

here is my headphone/loudspeaker setup

headphone: cheap Marantz CD6005 optical out > SRC2496 >DEQ2496(digital EQer) > some DACs(i change sometimes) > Luxman P-700u > modded HD800 (sounds heaven!
biggrin.gif
)
loudspeaker: Marantz SA11S3 > Marantz PM6005(is this amp too cheap??should i try expensive one?) > KEF LS50

Thank you!(sorry for my bad english! I live in Tokyo)

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #21,519 of 28,989
i know this question is better for speaker thread. but there is good kind HD800 users who own loudspeaker also in this thread.
I have been searching loudspeaker setup which has same SQ with well driven HD800.
Is there any good loudspeaker setup outthere for cheap budget? Sould i try  new B&W 800 series?
I did bought KEF LS50 pair as jude's recommend at head-fi buying guide of speaker section.
KEF LS50 sound great! They did blown me away. but HD800s little bit sounds better.
but my modded and EQed and well amped HD800s sound better than KEF LS50! I don't know why?

headphone: cheap Marantz CD6005 optical out > SRC2496 >DEQ2496(digital EQer) > some DACs(i change sometimes) > Luxman P-700u > modded HD800 (sounds heaven!
biggrin.gif
)
loudspeaker: Marantz SA11S3 > Marantz PM6005(is this amp too cheap??should i try expensive one?) > KEF LS50

For me the speakers that I think sound close to the HD-800 are my Magnepan 1.6 for the living room and Rauna TYRs for my lanai, see my profile for the rest of the system.

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #21,521 of 28,989

biggrin.gif
)

I'm quite familiar with the Kef line.

There are many factors involved in speakers. Your HD800 has a preset sound stage built in the small area between your ears and the driver/speaker in the headphones.

The LS50 is a very revealing driver. You must also note that for hifi 2 channel world everything comes into play. From the clean AC power from a power conditioner, source, preamp (if applicable), amp (or integrated), interconnect cables and speaker wires (proper AWG thickness of wires or my preference if using snake oil high performance cables). Room acoustics also plays a major role in the SQ.

I own a set of R100 instead of the LS50 not because of lower cost but i find the R100's more musical, smoother and a tad more laid back. I was using the R100's for my computer desk!!  The LS50 is more of a "monitor" to reveal source so if your recordings are bad those speakers are NOT forgiving. 

IMO the average headphone world is still far more cheaper than 2 channel hifi.  In a sense headphone fanatics do not spend much money on power conditioning, cabling  or anti vibration devices. This is where many 2 channel folks can easily spend $1000 to 6000++ dollars just on power cords and power conditioning. This is almost unheard of in the headphone world. 

The Kef LS50 is a high resolution set of speakers but in many cases I think it's a great speaker for the price and I think it's been a big hype as well. If your speakers are new  you need to break them in because they are still "tight" As you put hours on them they will relax a tad. 

If you were running a higher end tube dac or tube amp for the Kef's this would very likely kill the HD800 depending on the size of your room. 

My 2 channel setup is by far a deep true emotional trip as I listen to it.  The sound you get with "more air" between your speaker and ears gives you a much different feel where room ambiance puts you in "lounge" or physical feel of being in the recording studio. 

The cost of my entire headphone rig is easily over what  I've spent on power conditioning for my 2 channel. The hifiman HE1000, HD800, LCD3 still clamps on your head and regardless of comfort it still feels unnatural to me. I know many individuals have certain reasons to use headphones instead of speakers.

If you heard a properly setup set of LS50's you'd be impressed with the imaging and bass response from a small speaker. Some folks use a musical sub woofer to add lower frequencies. 

2 channel world seems more involved compared to the headphone world.

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #21,522 of 28,989

Thank you very much David for your advice!!! i can buy Magnepan. I will audition them. Thank you.

Just remember with Magnepan speakers the placement and room acoustics make a large difference in what they sound like.  As my ex-wife used to say they are not "wife friendly" due to speaker placement requirements.

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #21,523 of 28,989

Thank you very much David for your advice!!! i can buy Magnepan. I will audition them. Thank you.

I am pretty sure that your amp won't be beefy enough for Magnepan's...

Dec 14, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #21,525 of 28,989
Can someone clarify something for me please? 

Are there two diameters of HD800 plugs (the part that goes into the ear cup?  I have a pair of ENIGMAcoustics Dharma headphones that use the same plugs in the ear cups as the HD800...........but the Norne Audio Vanquish cable I use for my HD800 will not fit in the Dharma due to outside diameter of the plug being a few thousandths too big.  I'd like to be able to put the smaller diameter plugs on the Norne cable and use it for both headphones since it's only 5' long and very supple.

Any help is appreciated gents. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back