The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Oct 26, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #21,121 of 28,989
It's funny, I made this post over two years ago and nothing has changed. The HD800 is still king for many while Audeze's models of the time are being replaced by new versions which for the most part are more loved. I've contemplated selling my LCD-2.2 and getting an LCD-X but never did. The HD800's sound has alwaysperplexed my mind; I've pictured it having too much treble, high in sibilance, and light in bass. Now I know that it's not true and is more dependent on your gear. I love the LCD-2's bass but find it a bit too much. I've wanted something more neutral for a while and desire my music more involving with a larger soundstage.

This is exactly what gets me excited about buying an HD800. I'm a singer-songwriter myself (in my head anyway :wink_face: ) and I would love to get things out of the way and just get straight into the music. I want to hear the room, the production, the instruments for how they really were. Hence, my questions:

1. How does the HD800 do with classic & modern rock? I mostly listen to rock from the 60s through the 90s more than other genres. Is it good or would the LCD-X be a better choice (with its apparent exaggerated bass)?

2. I have a Rega DAC here. Would it work well with a HDVA 600 or am I better off selling it and getting the HDVD 800?

3. How much more sound do you get if you upgrade past a HDVD 800?

Thanks for any help.

Received wisdom is that if the DAC costs more than the $400 that the Sennheiser HDVD800 (with DAC) costs over the HDVA600 (without DAC), the whole system will sound better, as it seems Sennheiser made a better amp than they did a DAC in the HDVD800. I certainly have no complaints about the DAC in mine, however, and I don't find my standalone DAC, the Schiit Bifrost Uber, which is about $450, to sound any better. Don't know your particular DAC.

Oct 26, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #21,122 of 28,989
Received wisdom is that if the DAC costs more than the $400 that the Sennheiser HDVD800 (with DAC) costs over the HDVA600 (without DAC), the whole system will sound better, as it seems Sennheiser made a better amp than they did a DAC in the HDVD800. I certainly have no complaints about the DAC in mine, however, and I don't find my standalone DAC, the Schiit Bifrost Uber, which is about $450, to sound any better. Don't know your particular DAC.

You need to send your Uber Bifrost in for the Multi-Bit upgrade, it is a significant improvement in sq.

Oct 26, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #21,123 of 28,989
You need to send your Uber Bifrost in for the Multi-Bit upgrade, it is a significant improvement in sq.

Do I have to send it in? I thought that their architecture was such that I could upgrade with a plugin myself. How much is the upgrade? Thanks!

Oct 26, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #21,125 of 28,989
Do I have to send it in? I thought that their architecture was such that I could upgrade with a plugin myself. How much is the upgrade? Thanks!

This one isn't  a User Mod, but their system is excellent. You order, wit a couple days, send it in, its done in two days and sent back. The process took about 10 days from order to return for me. It sounds brilliant, smooths out the Bifrost's rough edges, expands the soundstage and improves dynamics.

Oct 26, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #21,126 of 28,989
I can't speak to the bass performance, but what I heard of Joey Silverstein's performance of Vivaldi's Four Seasons on Telarc yesterday was deliciously coherent and lifelike. I usually can't abide the rise in the upper strings evident from the HD800, but as modded and EQed at johnjen's the strings were lovely.

Oct 26, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #21,127 of 28,989

The price of the HDVA 600 is currently $1200 so I assumed the HDVD 800 at $2100 was quite a bit better than it. My Rega cost $1000 new so it probably is better but I wonder if it and the HDVA would pair well together. Gets me excited thinking about it...I want to try the HD800.
biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #21,128 of 28,989
Kevin,  You did not feel the Bifrost Multibit has a bit of a digital edge ??,, I found it fatiguing I think that was because it is no longer a discreet design (Like the gumby and yggy) and instead relies on filtering

Joe 

Oct 26, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #21,129 of 28,989
I had the Rega DAC for a while and it's a nice piece.  I'd keep it and do the HDVA600.  Should be a great combo.

Quote:

The price of the HDVA 600 is currently $1200 so I assumed the HDVD 800 at $2100 was quite a bit better than it. My Rega cost $1000 new so it probably is better but I wonder if it and the HDVA would pair well together. Gets me excited thinking about it...I want to try the HD800.
biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #21,130 of 28,989
Kevin,  You did not feel the Bifrost Multibit has a bit of a digital edge ??,, I found it fatiguing I think that was because it is no longer a discreet design (Like the gumby and yggy) and instead relies on filtering

Joe 

Maybe a little, I will give it a few more hours of burn in, I am sure the Gimby and Yggy are incredible. So far it's dynamics are a little muted and maybe a bit of an edge. I'll give it a little more time and do some more serious listening this weekend.

Oct 26, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #21,133 of 28,989
Yea I dont understand the trend with Headphones of making conclusions on the product B-4 it is actually available.  Any comments on the SQ so far are suspect at best, Its not like people will bash a product of a supporter, Then hearing is subjective what one person finds pleasing the next may Hate.

I will watch from the sidelines and get some actual users impressions and make a judgement from that, From the current description I cant see what all the hubub is about, other than a 2nd cable all you are supposedly getting is a color choice and a version of anax mod

Now I want to know from those that have the Draug 2 Cable, I know it is a subtle change in SQ but does it tame any of the brightness ?  is it really worth the 300.00............I am wavering a bit between buy or not 
angry_face.gif
  I sure wish there was a place to save a few $$ that would make the decision much easier,  I am a cheap person at heart 
biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #21,135 of 28,989
Yea I dont understand the trend with Headphones of making conclusions on the product B-4 it is actually available.  Any comments on the SQ so far are suspect at best, Its not like people will bash a product of a supporter, Then hearing is subjective what one person finds pleasing the next may Hate.

I will watch from the sidelines and get some actual users impressions and make a judgement from that, From the current description I cant see what all the hubub is about, other than a 2nd cable all you are supposedly getting is a color choice and a version of anax mod

Now I want to know from those that have the Draug 2 Cable, I know it is a subtle change in SQ but does it tame any of the brightness ?  is it really worth the 300.00............I am wavering a bit between buy or not :angry_face:   I sure wish there was a place to save a few $$ that would make the decision much easier,  I am a cheap person at heart :D

Please do not buy any cable of any price expecting a change in the sound quality or sound signature. It is so impossibly subtle that you'll most likely be disappointed than not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back