The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Oct 25, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #21,106 of 28,992
A general rule of thumb is if the amp doesn't get hot it probably isn't a Class A amp.  I use my Valhalla to heat my office in the winter 
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 25, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #21,108 of 28,992
Percussions seem to sound harsh when I play Thrillers and Beat It by Michael Jackson. But I am not sure if it's actually precise or really a little harsh or is little over my preferred level. Meanwhile I feel it's crystal clear.The recording is top notch in pop songs. I did not have the same feel when I listen to classical music but there aren't that much percussion as in them either. As for instruments I also played Going Home by Kenny G and I feel it's about right. On some other instruments I also feel they are fine.

Windows 8.1 foobar200 play FLAC ->USB -.DAC-19 -> HDVA 600 ->balanced cable ->HD 800.

Oct 25, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #21,109 of 28,992
Anyone using an AM/FM tuner as a source with the HD 800 or in their setup?

Oct 25, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #21,110 of 28,992
Percussions seem to sound harsh when I play Thrillers and Beat It by Michael Jackson. But I am not sure if it's actually precise or really a little harsh or is little over my preferred level. Meanwhile I feel it's crystal clear.The recording is top notch in pop songs. I did not have the same feel when I listen to classical music but there aren't that much percussion as in them either. As for instruments I also played Going Home by Kenny G and I feel it's about right. On some other instruments I also feel they are fine.

Windows 8.1 foobar200 play FLAC ->USB -.DAC-19 -> HDVA 600 ->balanced cable ->HD 800.

I just listened to Thriller yesterday, no issues with the cymbals getting "sharp" or piercing. Tidal>Monarchy M22B>Tarus Mk.2>Draug 2>HD800 (Anax), so two R2R DACes, two pretty good amps, what cable are you using and do you have the Anax Mod?

Oct 25, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #21,111 of 28,992
How do you deal with sweat? This is embarrassing and I often sweat on my head. I either stop using the HD 800 or interrupt listening and wipe my sweat off. Inevitably the headphone has absorbed some sweat for sure. How to clean it or keep it clean?   

Oct 25, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #21,112 of 28,992
I just listened to Thriller yesterday, no issues with the cymbals getting "sharp" or piercing. Tidal>Monarchy M22B>Tarus Mk.2>Draug 2>HD800 (Anax), so two R2R DACes, two pretty good amps, what cable are you using and do you have the Anax Mod?

I used the ZY HIFI Cable Sennheiser HD800 and it's pretty thin, thinner than stock cable. and I do not know what Anax Mod is.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MTB71SW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Oct 26, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #21,113 of 28,992
I couldn't agree more. I live in Egypt and sweat is a major nuisance with the HD800 despite the Alcantara lining.  I'm not a big proponent of air conditioning.
Incidently, I find I sweat less when using the HDVD 800 than without ?!

Oct 26, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #21,114 of 28,992
  How do you deal with sweat? This is embarrassing and I often sweat on my head. I either stop using the HD 800 or interrupt listening and wipe my sweat off. Inevitably the headphone has absorbed some sweat for sure. How to clean it or keep it clean?   

There's this
http://www.amazon.com/Cool-Pads-Earmuff-Covers-Display/dp/B003BNA81Y/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1444172956&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=Howard+Leight+Cool+Pads+earmuff+stickers
Cool Pad Earmuff stickers
Though they might be too small to cover the HD800 earpads.

Oct 26, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #21,117 of 28,992
There really isn't much change in prices. The prices in the fs now could have been obtained pretty easily before the new headphone was announced. The hd800 has been priced very competitively for a long time.

I'll keep my hd800. This is my third one and this one isn't going anywhere.

Oct 26, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #21,118 of 28,992
I sure love my HD800 run by the HDVD800 amp. I can see why people buy three!

Oct 26, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #21,120 of 28,992
  It looks like the LCD-2's time in the sun has come to an end. I remember around November of 2011, when the LCD-3 had just come out, the LCD-2 was better than the HD-800 for many many people here, thus influencing my decision to purchase one. Now, with all this praise for the 800s, and my own minor issues with the LCD-2 beginning to get noticed, I'm almost certain I'm gonna sell them and move on to an 800 early next year.

It's funny, I made this post over two years ago and nothing has changed. The HD800 is still king for many while Audeze's models of the time are being replaced by new versions which for the most part are more loved. I've contemplated selling my LCD-2.2 and getting an LCD-X but never did. The HD800's sound has always perplexed my mind; I've pictured it having too much treble, high in sibilance, and light in bass. Now I know that it's not true and is more dependent on your gear. I love the LCD-2's bass but find it a bit too much. I've wanted something more neutral for a while and desire my music more involving with a larger soundstage.

Hey guys, Just wanted to give a quick impressions of the new HD800 paired with the hdvd800 and balanced cables coming from a musician and not necessarily an audiophile. First off all I can say is WOW. These cans delivered exactly what I expected them to... as a musician I wanted something super accurate to bring me into the room so that I can get "involved" in the music, and they did that exceptionally. I don't know why everyone said bass is lacking with these because the bass gets STUIPID low with these and is VERY WELL BALANCED. as far as bad recordings... I found these cans completely fine to listen to bad recordings. It is what it is, obviously its not as enjoyable as listening to good recordings. So I'd say as a musician, I really enjoyed these because they bring me into the room with the band and inspire my creativity! 

This is exactly what gets me excited about buying an HD800. I'm a singer-songwriter myself (in my head anyway
wink_face.gif
) and I would love to get things out of the way and just get straight into the music. I want to hear the room, the production, the instruments for how they really were. Hence, my questions:

1. How does the HD800 do with classic & modern rock? I mostly listen to rock from the 60s through the 90s more than other genres. Is it good or would the LCD-X be a better choice (with its apparent exaggerated bass)?

2. I have a Rega DAC here. Would it work well with a HDVA 600 or am I better off selling it and getting the HDVD 800?

3. How much more sound do you get if you upgrade past a HDVD 800?

Thanks for any help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back