The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Oct 15, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #20,912 of 28,989
I understand where you were going with this from the beggining, precisely the reason why I said "But really, it's just not musical. That's all". - It wasn't important, until you brought it to attention. Ofcourse, unless you like talking about unimportant stuff in general.

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #20,914 of 28,989
I understand where you were going with this from the beggining, precisely the reason why I said "But really, it's just not musical. That's all". - It wasn't important, until you brought it to attention. Ofcourse, unless you like talking about unimportant stuff in general.

I'm just trying to find out your experience with the headphones. "Musical" has different meanings to different people (as others have stated earlier), so it doesn't really describe much that is concrete. But, when you describe the sound itself and how it interacts you can get a much more concrete and complete idea of someone's experience and preferences, so I was trying to get a more concrete idea of how you felt.
But maybe I shouldn't have taken an interest in your thoughts at all, and if you don't want to talk about it, that's fine.

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #20,915 of 28,989
Well, I suppose it is true everyone has different ears. But music is music, and if it conveys rythem and flow in a rythmic and flowing manner, it's a piece that is universally understood to a wide audience. But, for the sake of the matter, I can say I hear your point somewhat - I actually did express my opinion on the post where you quoted me, and if you read a few more posts down the line - I believe there was another member who understood perfectly what I was trying to say on my "musical preferences".

To each their own ears I guess. - somewhat.

Oct 15, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #20,916 of 28,989
Can't wait for Big Sound 2016. Let's see how far the LCD4 climbs up the ladder.
But I doubt it will exceed the HE1000 as there seem to be lack of hype/vibe compared to the HE1000 when it was announced.

Oct 15, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #20,917 of 28,989
My take on my own HP's

The LCD-3F sounds better than the HD800 on a similar DAC and mid-fi amps ex. Schiit Valli/Meier Classic

The HD800 sounds better to me on a similar DAC and high end amps ex. WA5/GS-Xmk2/Cavalli Liquid Glass

LCD-3F are Smooth, Forgiving and Bass-Centric

HD800 are Analytic, Technical and Detailed and scale like no other HP I have personally ever heard and that includes the HE1K

Oct 15, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #20,919 of 28,989
I differentiate between fake musicality and real musicality. But yeah decay is easy to screw up, I have a speshal operating system that ruins decay... hd 800 will actually let u hear recorded decay better, not try to fix poor recordings or hifi components. I suspect a lot of music could be produced to suit speakers with room acoustics adding more decay. This is recording issue IMO... midfi digital gear can also struggle to reproduce recorded decay. Tbh though if I want to extend decay or even add body with HD 800 i can do that with a cable swap but the result is usually suboptimal. I notice that with some cable singers appear to not finish words, the word just trails off without articulate ending. Right now I just use most accurate cable and make sure not to screw up the decay with poor computer OS tweaking.

Oct 16, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #20,921 of 28,989

They pair poorly with silver cables.
Use copper.

That's certainly the popular HF mythology, but many disagree and favor silver for its superior electrical characteristics/conductivity.  The whole claim that copper sounds "warmer" or somehow tames the hd800's highs is something that would show up in simple FR tests if it were true, and it simply does not.  

As discussed ad nauseam, for those who want to tame trebles and reflections, there is a very simple tweak that does this for real - and for next to no money: the jazz/anax mod.  Alternatively, if you throw an impedance adapter between your amp and hd800's, midbass will increase at the cost of damping.  (This has been measured and demonstrated - in fact, Senn's own amps have a relatively high balanced output impedance for this very reason, IMO, and not because Senn is too incompetent to design a low output impedance amp.)  Know what else is the equivalent of an impedance adapter?  A cable with high resistance.  Thus, it may well be the case that some hd800 owners prefer poorly made cables over well made cables because the former will actually change FR and increase midbass response.      

Another interesting consideration - the commercial cable makers all seem to be using eidolic xlr plugs (frankly, because they look fancy), but neutrik is the only company that makes 4 pin xlr's with pure silver contacts.  Those who do use neutrik's generally use the model with the inferior gold plated connectors because they want the aesthetics of an all black barrel/body.  The design choices are being made based on fashion, not function.  

I've been on these forums a long time, built my fair share of amps, cables, blah blah.  Cables are 99% about style points and bragging rights.  Unless you already have a summit-fi dac and amp, cables should be the absolute last purchase on anyone's list.  

Oct 16, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #20,922 of 28,989

Jamie - I reterminated mine after reading this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/490316/re-terminating-the-sennheiser-hd-800-cable-to-balanced  

Internally, the cable has two separately insulated pairs that are then enamel coated.  Based on the posts I've read, and my own experience, it appears Sennheiser is not entirely consistent about which color (red or green) pair is R+ vs. L+.  After you cut the cord (leaving enough length to make the obligatory XLR to TRS adapter out of the leftovers), separate out the wires and peel or melt the enamel off the ends.  Then meter them for continuity with the pins in the earpiece connectors to identify which color is L+ vs. R+.  The cables are pretty thin, but you'll make quick work of it.  

4 pin XLR pinout on the new jack is:

1 - left channel +
2 - left channel -
3 - right channel +
4 - right channel -

Easy peasy and works great.  Personally, I don't believe I hear any obvious difference between my reterminated stock cable and my fancier cardas litz xlr cable.   

Super thanks

Oct 16, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #20,923 of 28,989
That's certainly the popular HF mythology, but many disagree and favor silver for its superior electrical characteristics/conductivity.  The whole claim that copper sounds "warmer" or somehow tames the hd800's highs is something that would show up in simple FR tests if it were true, and it simply does not.  

As discussed ad nauseam, for those who want to tame trebles and reflections, there is a very simple tweak that does this for real - and for next to no money: the jazz/anax mod.  Alternatively, if you throw an impedance adapter between your amp and hd800's, midbass will increase at the cost of damping.  (This has been measured and demonstrated - in fact, Senn's own amps have a relatively high balanced output impedance for this very reason, IMO, and not because Senn is too incompetent to design a low output impedance amp.)  Know what else is the equivalent of an impedance adapter?  A cable with high resistance.  Thus, it may well be the case that some hd800 owners prefer poorly made cables over well made cables because the former will actually change FR and increase midbass response.      

Another interesting consideration - the commercial cable makers all seem to be using eidolic xlr plugs (frankly, because they look fancy), but neutrik is the only company that makes 4 pin xlr's with pure silver contacts.  Those who do use neutrik's generally use the model with the inferior gold plated connectors because they want the aesthetics of an all black barrel/body.  The design choices are being made based on fashion, not function.  

I've been on these forums a long time, built my fair share of amps, cables, blah blah.  Cables are 99% about style points and bragging rights.  Unless you already have a summit-fi dac and amp, cables should be the absolute last purchase on anyone's list.  

Silver's superior conductivity? Compared to what, copper? Silver is better, yes but superior? It's an exaggeration. I agree, though cable should be the last of your worries when thinking about upgrading your audio chain. It should for many other reason but sonic qualities.

Oct 16, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #20,924 of 28,989
Silver's superior conductivity? Compared to what, copper? Silver is better, yes but superior? It's an exaggeration. I agree, though cable should be the last of your worries when thinking about upgrading your audio chain. It should for many other reason but sonic qualities.

Compared to all alternatives - no exaggeration.  Copper ain't bad though.  http://eddy-current.com/conductivity-of-metals-sorted-by-resistivity/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back