The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Oct 1, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #20,492 of 28,989
Since I have the same amp as you, and own the HD800, I really look forward to your opinion as a newcomer trying both these TOTL headphones side by side.

Yes I am now very intrigued to be honest. Right now I am blown away with this massive jump in SQ from the 701s.
Still feel a few tracks a tad bright in places but yes I am getting used to it. The soundstage is INCREDIBLE I am genuinely taken aback. Will be interesting to see if the HE1000 has this .......it may lose some of the bright treble? Who knows

Oct 1, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #20,493 of 28,989
Funny how I have noticed the K701 being mentioned in many threads lately.  And with no disrespect to anyone who owns them but they have always been considered dry, lifeless, sterile, and horrid since the day they were released.

A horrible example of a headphone, suffering from a real case of "Basssuckedoutofitaphobia" amongst other maladies.

It is no wonder that the 800 sounds like a revelation (as it should) and a breath of fresh air.

(These are merely mine and perhaps 356,317 other head-fi members opinions no disrespect was intended but if you own the K701....time to step it up a notch)
beerchug.gif

Oct 1, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #20,494 of 28,989
Funny how I have noticed the K701 being mentioned in many threads lately.  And with no disrespect to anyone who owns them but they have always been considered dry, lifeless, sterile, and horrid since the day they were released.

A horrible example of a headphone, suffering from a real case of "Basssuckedoutofitaphobia" amongst other maladies.

It is no wonder that the 800 sounds like a revelation (as it should) and a breath of fresh air.

(These are merely mine and perhaps 356,317 other head-fi members opinions no disrespect was intended but if you own the K701....time to step it up a notch) :beerchug:  

If I sell them shall I PM you :smiley::smiley::smiley:

Oct 1, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #20,495 of 28,989
Oct 1, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #20,496 of 28,989

These are merely mine and perhaps 356,317 other head-fi members opinions no disrespect was intended but if you own the K701....time to step it up a notch)
beerchug.gif

The K701 sounds a lot better with some judicious parametric EQ. Not suggesting it is in HD800 class. But I am sure the perceived HD800 deficiencies (that many listeners react to) can be ameliorated with appropriate EQ also. I see Katz thought the HD800 was a great candidate for EQ in a recent review on Innerfidelity.
Has anybody here experimented with EQ on HD800 based on actual measurements?

Oct 1, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #20,497 of 28,989
I thought that's why people modify the HD800 to overcome the minor deficiencies? I always make time to stop by HD800 rigs when I'm at a Head-fi meet or CanJam and so far the best HD800s I've ever heard have been either modified or are hooked up to some behemoth tube amplifier. Maybe tubes soften the brightness of the HD800? I would bet that some of it has to do with DAC that is connected to it also. DAC w/ treble glare = headphone with the same glare

Oct 1, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #20,498 of 28,989

The K701 sounds a lot better with some judicious parametric EQ. Not suggesting it is in HD800 class. But I am sure the perceived HD800 deficiencies (that many listeners react to) can be ameliorated with appropriate EQ also. I see Katz thought the HD800 was a great candidate for EQ in a recent review on Innerfidelity.

My EQ is based on Tyll's measurements of the HD800's. Not ideal, but I'd rather not spend tens of thousands on a good measurement system. I also use the Audiocheck perceptual sine sweep to dial it in even more by ear to make up for personal hearing differences.

I'm not using the Harmon target response as my ideal target, but my ideal isn't too far off and is more based on my personal taste (I don't drop the treble nearly as much as the Harman does, though I do cut the major spikes down a bit like the 6.5k one).

One thing I did take from Katz's work was the slight rise to 1k to add more vocal presence, and it was a surprisingly effective difference. I did find, however, that too much of it led to some shoutyness, so it's a very subtle rise.

Oct 1, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #20,499 of 28,989

I've done a lot of experimenting and ended up with this curve on the octave equalizer of a FiiO X5 II player (feeding a Chord Hugo), based on the Inner Fidelity curves, then adjusted to my ears:

+1.8     –3.6     –4.6     –5.2     –6       –5.4     –3.6     –3.4     –4.2     +0.2     (31.25 Hz to 16 kHz)

Preset for foobar2000 with xnor's 31-band equalizer for download.

Note that my pair is modded. For an unmodded pair I would suggest the follwing curve (as a basis):

+1.8     –3.6     –4.6     –5.2     –6       –5.6     –4     –4.2     –5.2     –1.2

Oct 2, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #20,500 of 28,989
What do you think the best headphone for classic hard rock(80s style) and 90s grunge in this price range(HD800, LCD 3 etc). Please recommend appropriate amp too.

Oct 2, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #20,501 of 28,989
What do you think the best headphone for classic hard rock(80s style) and 90s grunge in this price range(HD800, LCD 3 etc). Please recommend appropriate amp too.

Since you're in the HD800 thread, the answer is the HD800. Otherwise, take it to the recommendations forum.

Oct 2, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #20,503 of 28,989
For rock you can go with Grado, especially if you want to listen while you're outside walking.
Someone said 2 pages ago that the treble of the HD800 will remain piercing high - this is not true - depending on the frequency of use, the treble will subside at a normal level in aprox 2 years....you just need to be patient...the burn-in period takes a really long time. Now, the HD800 by their design have a cold analitical sound - but that's how they are made, but this doesn't mean that the piercing treble remains at the same level as a brand new HD800.

Also, using a more warmer DAC or Amp really makes the HD800 to sound magical.

Oct 2, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #20,504 of 28,989
Im planning on finally getting these soon, along with ie 800.

how good are hd 800 with a dap?

i plan on getting the new x7 fii0 for musics and use it whenever im on laptop to play audio.
also a goood price for hd 800?
its got good chunk around $1200 on amazon,

how mucch did u guys spend? and how much did u spend on your whole setup?

Oct 2, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #20,505 of 28,989
Im planning on finally getting these soon, along with ie 800.

how good are hd 800 with a dap?

i plan on getting the new x7 fii0 for musics and use it whenever im on laptop to play audio.
also a goood price for hd 800?
its got good chunk around $1200 on amazon,

how mucch did u guys spend? and how much did u spend on your whole setup?

You should consider a good dac/amp  that works with Android.  Something like a Geek Out V2 + for example. it competes with a lot of sedentary rig I heard. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back