The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 29, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #20,433 of 28,992
I don't know about imaging (instrument positioning), I've never been able to hear that, on any setup. Soundstage on the HD800 is quite alright for a headphone (or what I perceive soundstage to be; it's a bit of a nebulous term to me). But a bit strange at times. Sometimes it just seems like it tears apart the different instruments, so that it seems I'm listening to them individually instead of all together. Disconnection, or something. It depends on the music, though.

They're very good for listening to the small little details, and they're not as closed-in sounding as my in-ears, so for me, they're good for what I bought them for. If I'm home alone, though, and no-one is there to be bothered by my music, I prefer my speakers.

Sep 29, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #20,437 of 28,992
  Despite having listened to very elaborate speaker setups, I still find soundstage, detail rendition and definition of the HD 800 unsurpassed.

Well I've heard many speaker setups that surpass the HD800 in terms of all three that you presented, so YMMV.  But I will say that the HD800 is better than many mid-fi systems.  I'm not sure how you define soundstage, since there is no way for headphones to actually present a soundstage properly (like in front of the listener vs around the head of) to the listener.  Thus that's one main characteristic of headphone listening that IMO can't surpass speakers. Unless we all switch to binaural recordings which brings it a little closer.  I don't think crossfeed really does it.  But there could be better implementations to try.  Although, there are now some who actually grew up with and prefer the headphone in your head soundstage.  So maybe the world is changing?

Sep 29, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #20,438 of 28,992
  Despite having listened to very elaborate speaker setups, I still find soundstage, detail rendition and definition of the HD 800 unsurpassed.

That means you haven't listened to enough speaker setups.  

We all love our HD800s but let's not make them into something they r not.  If the topic were performance returned/$ invested, then the HD800 would be hard to surpass in comparison to speakers.

Of course, this is all IMHO

Sep 29, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #20,439 of 28,992

We alI love our HD800s but let's not make them into something the r not.  If the topic were performance returned/$ invested, then the HD800 would be hard to surpassed in comparison to speakers.

I've found $4000 to be the spot where the HD 800 unquestionably lose out to monitors.

Sep 29, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #20,440 of 28,992
It is a completely different experience...i own B&W 802's and absolutely love them but there are times i enjoy listening to my 800's just as much

Sep 29, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #20,441 of 28,992

We alI love our HD800s but let's not make them into something the r not.  If the topic were performance returned/$ invested, then the HD800 would be hard to surpassed in comparison to speakers.

I've found $4000 to be the spot where the HD 800 unquestionably lose out to monitors.

I agree that comparing them to speakers shows them to be what they are - headphones (that is not meant to be a criticism, as I love my HD800's). I have found the point where speakers surpass headphones to be a lot lower. I have a set of Dynaudio Acoustics BM5 MK II's and a matching BM9 sub, and they favorable compare to the HD800's at about the same prices as a new pair of HD800's.

Sep 29, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #20,444 of 28,992

Users who are viewing this thread

Back