The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 25, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #20,402 of 29,017
Hi Jamie - lol - never sell the Crack, it's my pride & joy and still need to Speedball it!    but for HD-800 Mainline is also a future possible.  Definitely tubes of some description will be the order of the day.  

Do you like the HD-800s on the Speedball/Modded Crack ? 

I'm South-West England - Bristol. 

Sep 25, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #20,403 of 29,017
Cool - yes thank you - just different to what I am used to.  I expect the death-clamp, but happy not to need it.   :)

Went for demo no.2 today at a different location.  This time they were quite well prepared.  The source was some massive & very expensive Naim stack - I'm not sure what it was - some kind of DAC/Streamer thingy but it also had two separate large power supply units.  He set this up to feed an HDVD-800.   I brought my LCD-2Fs along so was able to spend a couple of hours carefully listening to both and see how they differed.

I am definitely leaning to the HD-800s.  The LCD-2Fs were a little darker than the HD800s but not as much as I expected with both essentially sounding clean and not far off what I call neutral.  The HD-800s having superior extension at both ends.  The main difference I found was that the Audeze's sounded more narrow and slightly congested vs the 800s.  I also found that when I pushed the volume a little more, the HD-800s seemed to maintain their integrity a little better.   The whole system was new to me so it was hard to judge what was contributing to what but I would love to see how  much you could flesh out the HD-800s a little more with a great tube-amp. 

It was a really fun experience.  When I was in there another guy came in to demo the HD-800s and had a listen to my LCDs too.  The first thing I thought when he put them on was "wow is that what I look like?!"   It was great to share a face to face conversation with someone else who was into headphones -  I really need to get to some meets/get-togethers sometime soon.     
that must have been cool. I've yet to meet another headphone enthusiast yet. All I have is my wife constantly shaking her head.

Sep 25, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #20,404 of 29,017
  Hi Jamie - lol - never sell the Crack, it's my pride & joy and still need to Speedball it!    but for HD-800 Mainline is also a future possible.  Definitely tubes of some description will be the order of the day.  

Do you like the HD-800s on the Speedball/Modded Crack ? 

I'm South-West England - Bristol. 

James I  have only tried my HD800's with the standard Crack and Speedball and then only used it for a couple of days as I had built the Crack for someone else and needed to ship it off. I though it was fine in stock form and am absolutely positive Crack that has been breathed on will really ratchet up the performance levels and be very enjoyable.

Had a senior moment as I knew you lived in Bristol already  

How far have you got with your mods did have you fitted the choke and film caps yet?

Sep 26, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #20,405 of 29,017
that must have been cool. I've yet to meet another headphone enthusiast yet. All I have is my wife constantly shaking her head.

lol !  You're lucky - those disapproving looks from partner/wife are natural checks on complete & utter wallet-destruction.  I should know, I'm a single-guy. 

@JamieMcC  -  great, thanks and no worries ! I Haven't done the mods yet -  recently received the Speedball kit & just gathered fixtures & fittings,  soviet-teflons for bypass & a new pot so I can have a good session of it soon.  Sounds excellent in stock form, but really looking forward to tightening things up a little.  Nice to know its another option for HD-800s too. 

Cheers! 

Sep 26, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #20,406 of 29,017
As promised some time ago. here is how I made my Rugliner mod for my HD800. I know the Rugliner mod is something different HD800 owners use here or there and I think it's inspired from the last evolution of the Anax mod. I'm not the creator of the idea. :wink:

First , I removed my Dust covers and decided I could destroy them. Sacrifices are sometimes useful. 

I cut a hole in the dust cover. the hole sits in front the driver and is sized acccordingly. I used a glass to cut properly. :

Then I cut the bastardized dust cover in the middle of the narrower part :

Then,  I have something  quite flat I can use as a template for the rugliner. I just maintened the template as firmly as I can on the Rugliner and cut around with a cutter.  No need to be ultra precise. The purpose is to achiever a piece of Rugliner that has the same shape than the template but you'll can adjust finely the piece of Rugliner when you'll insert the rugliner in the cup.  

You just need to put the Piece of rugliner in the cups and push it under the pads and adjust the rugliner until it fits. If some rugliner overflows the driver, then adjust wit a scissor or the cutter until it fits as you want. 

No need of glue . The only shortcomings is the murder of one dust cover :wink:

Hope my explanations in bad english will be understandable :wink: 

This is the Rugliner I used : 

Sep 26, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #20,407 of 29,017
Guys, need your advice!!!

I have whittled down to three options for amp/dac pairing for my HD 800.

1. HDVD 800 + CH800S.(used)
2. HDVA 600 + iDSD.(used+new)
3. Schiit Mjolnir 2 + bifrost/gungnir multibit.(new)
Edit:
4. Cavalli LC + idsd or any other dac combo.

I don't want to jump into tube rolling atm. That's why the mj2 incase I want to later!
Option 1 & 2 is pretty safe bet as far as I can see.. But two may be redundant coz the idsd is a pretty good pairing with the HD 800.
If I go the LC route, I can get a idsd for now and wait for the LC.

Looking for your recommendations guys. So many choices and I'm going crazy! I realize this is what happens when diving straight down without going thought the steps! LOL!

Hello folks!
New to the HD800 club from UAE. I am just starting up in the head-fi world, but always wanted good sound quality. My first and only HPs for the last couple of years were the psb m4u1 which I was very happy with.
But then the bug bit a little harder especially discovering massdrop and got myself a k7xx and k553 pro's and was researching about a good mid-fi dac/amp.

Out of nowhere, I had an offer for the HD800 new in box for 900usd, which I couldn't pass up and got them.

Till now I have been using them from my Lumia 930 ( I know, sacrilege!!!) and using deezer and Xbox music in HQ mode.
Still was blown away by the SQ and soundstage.

But of course I'm looking at a good amp/dac for the hd800.

My budget is up to $1500,
Atm, I have an offer for the hdvd800+ch800s for $1500.
I have an offer for BH mainline at around $1300.(used, here locally)

I wanna know whether this is alright or you guys can recommend any other options to get more bang for the buck per se?

All advice are welcome. Thanks!

Edit:
Also thinking about getting in line for the cavalli liquid carbon and getting a separate dac.

Sep 26, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #20,408 of 29,017
Guys, need your advice!!!

I have whittled down to three options for amp/dac pairing for my HD 800.

1. HDVD 800 + CH800S.(used)
2. HDVA 600 + iDSD.(used+new)
3. Schiit Mjolnir 2 + bifrost/gungnir multibit.(new)
Edit:
4. Cavalli LC + idsd or any other dac combo.

I don't want to jump into tube rolling atm. That's why the mj2 incase I want to later!
Option 1 & 2 is pretty safe bet as far as I can see.. But two may be redundant coz the idsd is a pretty good pairing with the HD 800.
If I go the LC route, I can get a idsd for now and wait for the LC.

Looking for your recommendations guys. So many choices and I'm going crazy! I realize this is what happens when diving straight down without going thought the steps! LOL!

Hello folks!
New to the HD800 club from UAE. I am just starting up in the head-fi world, but always wanted good sound quality. My first and only HPs for the last couple of years were the psb m4u1 which I was very happy with.
But then the bug bit a little harder especially discovering massdrop and got myself a k7xx and k553 pro's and was researching about a good mid-fi dac/amp.

Out of nowhere, I had an offer for the HD800 new in box for 900usd, which I couldn't pass up and got them.

Till now I have been using them from my Lumia 930 ( I know, sacrilege!!!) and using deezer and Xbox music in HQ mode.
Still was blown away by the SQ and soundstage.

But of course I'm looking at a good amp/dac for the hd800.

My budget is up to $1500,
Atm, I have an offer for the hdvd800+ch800s for $1500.
I have an offer for BH mainline at around $1300.(used, here locally)

I wanna know whether this is alright or you guys can recommend any other options to get more bang for the buck per se?

All advice are welcome. Thanks!

Edit:
Also thinking about getting in line for the cavalli liquid carbon and getting a separate dac.

Option 3. .... You can shape the sound a little later if you want. The mj 2 takes a little of the edge off the hd800 without losing any detail. Pure bliss with the right tubes.

Sep 26, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #20,411 of 29,017
Whats a good price to get some hd800's?

im looking for
$1200 on amazon
and on ebay i seen them alittle over $1050 the seller has alot of feedback etc.

also i do alot of traveling and was wondering what kind of amps would i need to amke sure i can get full or somewhat close to best experience on hd 800.

for example
i have alot of mp3,wmv,avi,mp4 files etc, that i would like to use for high end media like on my phone,tablet and laptop
so i will need a good amp to use,

heres what im looking at right now
good would this amp./dac be on phone and tablets?

http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-E17K-ALPEN-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00RPD7KP8/ref=zg_bs_10980761_15

and would i need this as bridge tablet>e17>ie 800

/www.amazon.com/Right-Angle-3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-L17/dp/B00R9WAYC6/ref=pd_sim_23_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0FTN95JZSJ2T0S8BCRRJ

and this for my desktop
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008J26ZL4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A2RI9OCHT7SAAA

Sep 26, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #20,412 of 29,017
  As promised some time ago. here is how I made my Rugliner mod for my HD800. I know the Rugliner mod is something different HD800 owners use here or there and I think it's inspired from the last evolution of the Anax mod. I'm not the creator of the idea. :wink:

First , I removed my Dust covers and decided I could destroy them. Sacrifices are sometimes useful. 

I cut a hole in the dust cover. the hole sits in front the driver and is sized acccordingly. I used a glass to cut properly. :

Then I cut the bastardized dust cover in the middle of the narrower part :

Then,  I have something  quite flat I can use as a template for the rugliner. I just maintened the template as firmly as I can on the Rugliner and cut around with a cutter.  No need to be ultra precise. The purpose is to achiever a piece of Rugliner that has the same shape than the template but you'll can adjust finely the piece of Rugliner when you'll insert the rugliner in the cup.  

You just need to put the Piece of rugliner in the cups and push it under the pads and adjust the rugliner until it fits. If some rugliner overflows the driver, then adjust wit a scissor or the cutter until it fits as you want. 

No need of glue . The only shortcomings is the murder of one dust cover :wink:

Hope me explanations in bad english will be understandable :wink: 

This is the Rugliner I used : 

Wait, you destroyed the dust cover just to use it a template?
Aren't there pdf template files that you can print for these type of mods?

Sep 26, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #20,413 of 29,017
I was too lazy to produce a template but I can do that easily for sure.  It's indeed a bit stupid to advice to everyone to do that.  

Just explained how I did  
biggrin.gif
.  that's all.  

Sep 27, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #20,414 of 29,017
This weekend I picked up a bunch of 24 bit albums, including 24 bit versions of albums that I already had in 16 bit. Both versions were official WEB releases. Had both versions converted and playing in WAV. The HD 800 responded really well to the 24 bit recordings. Can't wait to see how much difference the BDP-1 will make when I get it sometime this or next week, over my current Audirvana Plus + Macbook Pro setup.

Sep 27, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #20,415 of 29,017
Got this saturday and it is sounding heavenly with my HD800   
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back