The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 27, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #20,416 of 29,013
whirldwind, nice amp!!! is that a Norne Draug v2 cable? what do you think of it?

Can anyone comment on Norne Zoetic cable?  I'm debating between it and the Draug v2, mainly because it's seem to be quite a bit lighter, and more flexible.  I'm looking at getting a 10-12' cable.

Sep 27, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #20,417 of 29,013
Hi Khragon.

Yes it is a Norme Draug V2.

I like it....very nice cable indeed and Trevors quality is top notch for sure.

Sep 27, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #20,418 of 29,013
How's the ease of use for Draug v2 compared to stock?  does it drag down the headphone?  it looked heavy :).

Sep 27, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #20,419 of 29,013
Mine seems fine, it is short though.....mine is only 5 ft.

I would say it is heavier than the stock cable, as I remember the stock cable being light.....just too dang long for me.

It sounded good though.

Sep 28, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #20,421 of 29,013
Congrats whirlwind on the new amp.  Enjoy it

Sep 28, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #20,422 of 29,013
right now i am looking at

Sony PHA-3 vs oppa ha-2

deicing if these are worth purchasing,

These are potential portable solutions (mostly in the PHA-3's favour IMO)

Realistically though the 800 is not an ideal portable hp.  My suggestion would be to stick with a more home based desktop solution.

Do some more research around here until you find something that fits your budget and meshes well with the 800.

Sep 28, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #20,423 of 29,013
  These are potential portable solutions (mostly in the PHA-3's favour IMO)

Realistically though the 800 is not an ideal portable hp.  My suggestion would be to stick with a more home based desktop solution.

Do some more research around here until you find something that fits your budget and meshes well with the 800.

well i was thinking of getting the other flagship model ie800 with 1 of those 2 portable amps,

Sep 28, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #20,424 of 29,013
well i was thinking of getting the other flagship model ie800 with 1 of those 2 portable amps,

Hmmmmm ....ok well in that case I would still stick with the Sony.

Looks like its built like a tank vs the slickness / less weight of the OPPO.

I say Sony all the way.

Doesn't hurt though to keep researching Caguioa.....perhaps another member will chime in with first hand experience also.

Sep 28, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #20,425 of 29,013
Anyone else not impressed with the soundstage & imaging of the HD800 when they first heard it?

One of the reasons I bought these because everyone kept saying how amazing the soundstage is. It'll blow you away when you first hear it, with its never ending depth & width! Also the super 3D holographic imaging all around your head!

When I heard for the first time, all I heard was the soundstage being a tad bit more spacious than what I own. No 'wow' moments, nothing coming lose to be blown away.

Doing A/B test, the imaging on the LCD-2 hands down beats the HD800, especially for instrumentals.
In fact, from my memory,  my former Philips Fidelio X1 & Audio Technica AD700 had a wider soundstage.

Sep 28, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #20,426 of 29,013
Mine are sounding better than they ever have  
biggrin.gif

Sep 28, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #20,427 of 29,013
  Anyone else not impressed with the soundstage & imaging of the HD800 when they first heard it?

One of the reasons I bought these because everyone kept saying how amazing the soundstage is. It'll blow you away when you first hear it, with its never ending depth & width! Also the super 3D holographic imaging all around your head!

When I heard for the first time, all I heard was the soundstage being a tad bit more spacious than what I own. No 'wow' moments, nothing coming lose to be blown away.

Doing A/B test, the imaging on the LCD-2 hands down beats the HD800, especially for instrumentals.
In fact, from my memory,  my former Philips Fidelio X1 & Audio Technica AD700 had a wider soundstage.

Perhaps the headphones are just not for you. That's ok. Sell them, enjoy your LCD-2, and laugh all the way to the bank. Cross-posting on multiple forums to try and justify a purchase that doesn't jive with you personally just isn't worth all the mental anguish.

Sep 28, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #20,428 of 29,013

Perhaps the headphones are just not for you. That's ok. Sell them, enjoy your LCD-2, and laugh all the way to the bank. Cross-posting on multiple forums to try and justify a purchase that doesn't jive with you personally just isn't worth all the mental anguish.

I never said they weren't for me.

People who gave those insanely hyperbole reviews usually have specifically tailored high end gear that pairs very with the headphones.

I just want to know what people think of the HD800 without them.

Sep 28, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #20,429 of 29,013

Yep, the only real difference between the HD800 and anything else is that the HD800's soundstage is fully "outside" your head, but only just.

This, however, does not fit my experience, my LCD-2 was not as wide/deep as my HD800.

Sep 28, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #20,430 of 29,013
After hearing a decent soundstage on speakers, not likely I'll be happy with any headphone "soundstage". I'm OK with headphone limitations, but still always looking forward to the next upgrade!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back