The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 18, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #20,326 of 28,989
Hmmm, I didn't notice this imaging issue though, even when I have a friend coming with abyss. If other he1k owner heard this problem with imaging, then I'm afraid that it confirmed production variation. Though, I think I experienced this issue during burn-in (about less than 150 hrs).

I'm not a believer of burn-in. My previous lcd and current hd800 seem sound the same. But my he1k seem change it signature up to 200hrs for some reason

Sep 18, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #20,327 of 28,989
Hmmm, I didn't notice this imaging issue though, even when I have a friend coming with abyss. If other he1k owner heard this problem with imaging, then I'm afraid that it confirmed production variation. Though, I think I experienced this issue during burn-in (about less than 150 hrs).

I'm not a believer of burn-in. My previous lcd and current hd800 seem sound the same. But my he1k seem change it signature up to 200hrs for some reason

That amp / headphone combo looks familiar. 
biggrin.gif
   How does / did it sound?

Sep 18, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #20,328 of 28,989
It did sound great with the Abyss :thumbsup: . But I think, with hd800 and hifiman, I think for my preference in sound signature, I picked stratus. To my ears, using int30a, both sens and hifiman seem losing their nimbleness. But not with abyss though, it sound great with that phone

Sep 18, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #20,329 of 28,989

I'm not alone to have experienced that issue + the fake Height. ..the friend whith whom I did the Abyss/SR009/HEK comparison noticed the fake heaight immediately. :)  It's subtle though not something than kills the HEK except for people like me who are obsessive about that point. Once noticed, it haunts the listener. 

I can"t say I heard any improvement during "burn in" ... YMMV as usual :wink:   and all testimonies I read seem to confirm variations between unit are really significant.  

Sep 18, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #20,330 of 28,989
OH, IMO the Pass amp wakes the HE1Ks up more than any other amp I've heard.  I agree,  It's a really good match with the Abyss.  Also for me, there is not enough difference at this level of amplification to have a different amp for the HD800s.  The HD800s sound like HD800s on just about any other amp I've had.

The most interesting thing for me was.  The HD800s sound the most thin on a tube amp I had (EC 445)  That was very surprising.  The SS amps gave it more body - including the Pass amp.

I got yet another GS-X mk2 in just for the HD800s.  Put it up against the Pass amp and - wouldn't you know it - The Pass amp came out on top again.  For me anyway.  Sold the GS-X mk2 again.

Sep 18, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #20,331 of 28,989
  OH, IMO the Pass amp wakes the HE1Ks up more than any other amp I've heard.  I agree,  It's a really good match with the Abyss.  Also for me, there is not enough difference at this level of amplification to have a different amp for the HD800s.  The HD800s sound like HD800s on just about any other amp I've had.

The most interesting thing for me was.  The HD800s sound the most thin on a tube amp I had (EC 445)  That was very surprising.  The SS amps gave it more body - including the Pass amp.

I got yet another GS-X mk2 in just for the HD800s.  Put it up against the Pass amp and - wouldn't you know it - The Pass amp came out on top again.  For me anyway.  Sold the GS-X mk2 again.

Which Pass amp? The new Headphone amp or one of the integrateds?

Sep 18, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #20,333 of 28,989
Bought a Used Pelican 1300 as well. That's indeed perfectly fine :) 

Sep 18, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #20,334 of 28,989
Which Pass amp? The new Headphone amp or one of the integrateds?

It did sound great with the Abyss :thumbsup: . But I think, with hd800 and hifiman, I think for my preference in sound signature, I picked stratus. To my ears, using int30a, both sens and hifiman seem losing their nimbleness. But not with abyss though, it sound great with that phone
int30a

Sep 18, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #20,336 of 28,989
  Although many people (articles, YouTube) mention the comfort of the HD800, hardly anyone mentions comfort for glass wearers. Since I can't wear contacts, and don't want to chance laser surgery, it's an important factor to me. I find the HD800 comfortable with glasses, even over long periods (just not laying down). I'm found many mid-fi headphones to be uncomfortable with glasses. Unfortunately, I've not tried many high-end headphones.

Yeah, the HD800's are great with glasses, no real comfort problems and no necessary seal that gets broken when wearing glasses.

Sep 18, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #20,338 of 28,989
You can order the case separately from Audeze or maybe find it at an Audeze dealer.  The nice thing is that I did not have to change/cut any of the foam.  The HD800 fit nicely.  My dealer ordered it form me here in Canada.
Quote:
  Thanks, I think I'll look for a Pelican case of more or less the same size (I don't think I can find the Audeze / Pelican case here without going out to buy an Audeze).

Sep 18, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #20,339 of 28,989
You can order the case separately from Audeze or maybe find it at an Audeze dealer.  The nice thing is that I did not have to change/cut any of the foam.  The HD800 fit nicely.  My dealer ordered it form me here in Canada.

You want the pelican 1300 series with the pick & pluck foam.

Same size as the Audeze cases.

https://www.audeze.com/products/accessories/ruggedized-travel-case

but this will do fine as well for the hd800 (it's the one I'm using):

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1300

But I prefer the Audeze one, it's easier to open

Thanks for the advice, everyone :)

I live in Europe and the Audeze is not as easily available here, but Pelicase is, so the 1300 seems like it would be the ticket.

Sep 20, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #20,340 of 28,989
A general question to 800 users…

Are any of you running the Sonarworks EQ plugin?

If so what settings are you running?

I have been for 11 days now and I've been tweaking the settings and was woindering if ayone else had 'played with the knobs' and such?

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back