The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 11, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #20,131 of 28,989
I don't think someone who want to transform a HD800 into an Audeze will find any salvation with any amp or dac including Mega Kilobucks ones.  

@Thenewguy007: forget the HD800 and give a try to something like a LCD-X .  You'll lose your time and your money if you want Audeze sound in a HD800. 

Sep 11, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #20,132 of 28,989
For those of you who run systems that can utilize this approach, here is a way to EQ your STOCK 800's to ±3dB.

I am currently using their free 21 day trial and thus far I'm pleasantly impressed, even though my 800's are modified.
http://sonarworks.com/try-now/

Sonarworks out of Latvia has a 'average' EQ curve based upon many samples, which means it will tame much of the hi-freq spikes and adds bass response that is rather impressive.
Their business is aimed at recording studio professionals who require tweaked equipment.

They also can measure your particular headphones which narrows the frequency response to ±0.9dB
I am considering sending my 800's in for this level of compensation.
Being able to achieve a truly flat FR curve to within ±0.9dB is a remarkable degree of FR precision, for any headphone.

This approach requires a s/w player with DSP to add their plug-in to, so CD players feeding your dac won't work.
And their plug-in also has the ability to adjust the final compensation to more closely match your own desires.

Interesting times in Audio indeed.

JJ

Sep 11, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #20,133 of 28,989
The HD800 is a more neutral bass.  The LCD2 is like if you had a subwoofer and you just turned it up a few notches.  I love it for pop music, but the bass is actually very pronounced, making it sound warm.  Granted, then more or less neutral sound isn't always attractive.  The HD800 is also highly resolving.  Some people like it, some people don't.  Some people who don't aren't feeding it enough power.  Sometimes people don't give it enough time. Some people just like darker headphones.  It's like some people like vinyl, some like digital like CD's/digital files.  It's great with all kinds of music.  The same way some people may think the HD800 lacks bass (it's there, just not overwhelming like how some think more is better), when they put the LCD2/3 back on, they might think that the treble really is lacking instead.  It's just how it is.  

Sep 11, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #20,134 of 28,989
They also can measure your particular headphones which narrows the frequency response to ±0.9dB
I am considering sending my 800's in for this level of compensation.

Pointless since HD800 has one of the most consistent manufacturing and little variation. Your personal HRTF will affect the FR much more, so the only way to get "this level of compensation" is using your own ears to EQ.

Sep 11, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #20,135 of 28,989

Pointless since HD800 has one of the most consistent manufacturing and little variation. Your personal HRTF will affect the FR much more, so the only way to get "this level of compensation" is using your own ears to EQ.

What is "personal HRTF" ? 

Sep 11, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #20,137 of 28,989
Got it. Thks 
beerchug.gif

Sep 11, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #20,138 of 28,989
Hey all, not sure if this has been discussed much ITT, but I notice that a vast majority of HD800 users mod their 'phones (anax seems especially popular). Anyway, I was wondering if anybody is using and enjoying the 800s bone stock. No mods, no aftermarket cables, etc?

Just curious, as I have these on my "dream wish list" but I never mod any of my stuff, as I feel the engineering/design should be taken care of before I make a purchase. Additionally, I must admit that I have an absolute FEAR of messing something up REALLY bad!  LOL!

I have been loving my unmodified HD800s with matching HDVD 800 amp / DAC for over two years now.

In fact, I always wondered, if mods such as the Anax are so necessary to tame perceived headphone "shortcomings" such as the reported HD 800 6 kHz hump, why doesn't the manufacturer include them in the original headphone design??

It is not really fair for me to say this, as I have never tried a mod myself, but sometimes mods make me remember a bit of urban legend as to why, even though eggs could be powdered and included as part of a cake mix, the cook was still required to add eggs. The action was said to be essential to causing the thought that the cook was "giving birth" to the cake and hence bonding with it.

Perhaps we mod our headphones to bond with them in a similar ritual of birth.

Sep 11, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #20,139 of 28,989
JJ - I think you've nailed it. It's just how much you want to scale up and be satisfied.

People talk about bass quantity.  I'll take the quality, texture and depth of the HD800 bass anyday. If you want quantity, go elsewhere.  If you want quality and great balance, the HD800 may be a great way to go.
People talk about the harsh treble.  Sorry, I just don't get it.  Tried a number of Annex mods and ended up removing them.  I found that I always lose something.

I've hear'd the HD800 in dozens of systems at meets and retailers and have gone through Schiit and Woo with some decent DACss and although really good, felt myself wanting a little more. Based on personal experience, a balanced HDVD800 would be the minimum for me and relative to the price of the HD800, that seems reasonable.  I ended up with the Naim DAC-V1 and the McIntosh MXA70/MHA100 just because I got killer deals on them. Although I find the Naim and McIntosh to be nearly indistinguishable, I take the McIntosh to meets as it garnished the attention.  Go figure.

People have different needs and hear differently.  Base the decision on your needs.  As far as music goes, I enjoy the HD800 with pretty much anything from Deadmou5 to Patricia Barber to Supertramp.  My setup works for me. YMMV.

The HD800 is a great base for a system to build upon.  I've been through a lot of stuff (check my gallery) and settled on the HD800.  Enjoy the music.  Enjoy the journey!

Quote:
Another way of looking at HD800's is to use them as the foundation to build a suitable system around them.
Yes they scale REALLY well,
and they REALLY are that good.

JJ

Sep 11, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #20,140 of 28,989
I have been loving my unmodified HD800s with matching HDVD 800 amp / DAC for over two years now.

In fact, I always wondered, if mods such as the Anax are so necessary to tame perceived headphone "shortcomings" such as the reported HD 800 6 kHz hump, why doesn't the manufacturer include them in the original headphone design??

It is not really fair for me to say this, as I have never tried a mod myself, but sometimes mods make me remember a bit of urban legend as to why, even though eggs could be powdered and included as part of a cake mix, the cook was still required to add eggs. The action was said to be essential to causing the thought that the cook was "giving birth" to the cake and hence bonding with it.

Perhaps we mod our headphones to bond with them in a similar ritual of birth.

I'm all for mods and it can improve a headphone based on a person's preferences. I used to own a T50RP that sounded much better after it was modified compared to stock so I do see the value in doing so. When I had my first pair of HD800's a few years ago I tried the mod that was posted on the innerfidelity website. I don't know which version of the mod it is but I did not like it as much as stock. I felt it took away more than it improved. Of course with different mods, it may improve the sound for someone but I'm happy with the stock headphone.

The only change I have from stock is I have an after market HD800 cable since I wanted a balanced cable for my amp and it sounds very good to me. It also doesn't make sense that the cable from Sennheiser is so expensive.

Sep 11, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #20,141 of 28,989
Current Anax mod has nothing to do with Previous ones and Tyll's version I think. 

Some of us use rugliner in the cup and we're removing the Dust covers :wink: :

made with that product ;

Sep 11, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #20,142 of 28,989
Current Anax mod has nothing to do with Previous ones and Tyll's version I think. 

Some of us use rugliner in the cup and we're removing the Dust covers :wink: :

made with that product ;

Could you comment on the improvements with this mod. Thanks

Sep 11, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #20,143 of 28,989
Dust covers removed = improvement in clarity, precision, resolution with the caveat of improved sharpness as well. 
Rugliner : you keep the improvements aforementionned and tame the hardness/harshness/sharpness. 

No ****ed up treble or collapsed soundstage.. Easy to make and to remove. cheap. 

Win win game in my opinion.  Improvements are not huge but significant enough for me. it didn"t transform the HD800 in anything else though.

The main purpose of a real anax mod and derivatives is to allow more room when we have to choose gear.  with stock HD800 , warm amp or dac are welcome then you probably loose some technicalities ( resolution, soundstage, ambiance, textures mostly.. all what is relative to micro dynamics).. with the mod, it's more easy to use more neutral and resolving gear.

Even people who listen to well recorded/mastered music can benefit  from the mod due the resolution and clariy improvements. Different rugliners can be used with different results. considering it's perfectly reversible , everyone can try and make his own opinion. 

Sep 11, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #20,145 of 28,989
I use the HD800 stock with the Chord Hugo. There is a spike in the 6khz region, but it is fine.

My AKG 240 which producers use for mixing are alot more bright than the HD800 in stock.

The amplifier makes a difference. I prefer the Chord Hugo over the HDVD800 because the HDVD800 adds alot of colour (probably as a result of the high output impedance). So if you want less treble / more bass, then high output impedance amplifiers like the HDVD800 / HDVD600 could work. ( i personally don't like them though )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back