The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Aug 2, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #19,546 of 28,989
@MasterChef, I just looked at my verizon account too.  @ $1045 + tax for new is not a bad deal, IMO. 

Aug 2, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #19,547 of 28,989
I just bought a pair off of Verizon. Took them a few days to ship and their e-mail notification that it shipped was extra late, but I should be receiving mine tomorrow evening via UPS. Can't wait to try them out! I've wanted a pair since I discovered Sennheiser five years ago and only hope I enjoy them as much as I think I will. Now to resist the temptation to upgrade my entire system....

Aug 2, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #19,548 of 28,989
Does that come with a warranty too? That's a really nice price and around the used prices for a hd800.

Aug 2, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #19,549 of 28,989
Does that come with a warranty too? That's a really nice price and around the used prices for a hd800.

It's a brand new, official HD800 so I would venture to say yes.

Aug 2, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #19,550 of 28,989
  Project Ember is pretty nice with the hd800 but I'm finding it only decent. Crack with SB is better. Questyle cma800r is surprisingly good. 

How do you like them out of your vintage amp? 

Aug 2, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #19,551 of 28,989
  I just bought a pair off of Verizon. Took them a few days to ship and their e-mail notification that it shipped was extra late, but I should be receiving mine tomorrow evening via UPS. Can't wait to try them out! I've wanted a pair since I discovered Sennheiser five years ago and only hope I enjoy them as much as I think I will. Now to resist the temptation to upgrade my entire system....

Hey thanks for the info. I'd be interested in knowing how recent the serial number is they send you. Also, Sennheiser lists Verizon Wireless as an authorized dealer, just to confirm the above comment regarding warranty.

Aug 2, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #19,552 of 28,989
Take them with you next time :)
I took mine with me on my one month vacation in Canada. My portable amp was 1 channel only so I had to go ampless directly into my MBP. Still good enough for me!

Aug 3, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #19,553 of 28,989
Though the MBP doesn't have the worst audio circuit in some areas, especially bass quality benefits from an external DAC/Amp combo.
But I agree, they are (except for the grossly disgusting high amount of hiss with IEMs though they could have been great partners for IEMs due to their commendably low output impedance) not the worst you could get your HD 800 plugged into and hey, it was "only" one month. :wink:

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #19,554 of 28,989
Hey guys, officially joined the HD800 club. haha. Blown away by it the first time i listened to it.
Since Im broke from buying this pair, i opted for a cheaper dac/amp option. Expecting the Schiit Magni 2 Uber/Modi 2 Uber soon. 
Cant wait to put them on.
If anyone has any idea how the Schiit stack goes with the HD800s, please tell me your views on it. :)

Aug 3, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #19,555 of 28,989
  Hey guys, officially joined the HD800 club. haha. Blown away by it the first time i listened to it.
Since Im broke from buying this pair, i opted for a cheaper dac/amp option. Expecting the Schiit Magni 2 Uber/Modi 2 Uber soon. 
Cant wait to put them on.
If anyone has any idea how the Schiit stack goes with the HD800s, please tell me your views on it. :)

Gratz!  I've listened to Magni/Modi combo.  It was good for the $.  Just wondering why you didn't go with the Vali for $20 more?  For HD800, I personally will pick Vali over Magni any day.

Aug 3, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #19,557 of 28,989
Fair point. Funny thing is, in Australia the Magni 2 Uber cost quite a lot more than the Vali. LOL. Currecy exchange is a killer.
But honestly I didnt like the sound of tube amps with the HD800. I tried a few high end ones and didnt like the sound they produced.
Plus I heard the Magni can also drive IEMs so thought it would be a better option over the Vali. Also doesnt the Magni 2 have more power for HD800?

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #19,558 of 28,989
I have the Superlux HA3D and it is a excellent little tank built Amp, that is somewhat portable and runs on 2 AA batteriers. 
Ive got it recommend by a Pro Studio guy and it is extremely good value. 

Aug 3, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #19,559 of 28,989
  Fair point. Funny thing is, in Australia the Magni 2 Uber cost quite a lot more than the Vali. LOL. Currecy exchange is a killer.
But honestly I didnt like the sound of tube amps with the HD800. I tried a few high end ones and didnt like the sound they produced.
Plus I heard the Magni can also drive IEMs so thought it would be a better option over the Vali. Also doesnt the Magni 2 have more power for HD800?

What tube amps did you use? It's worth noting that some tube amps can be very tubey and others may be hardly tubey at all. Schiit's tube amps lean heavily towards the latter.

Of course, you're not going to want to use IEMs with the Vali, so if amping IEMs or low impedance/very sensitive cans is important to you, stay away from the Vali.

The Magni 2 uber has a bit more power at 300 ohms than the Vali (320mW vs. 220mW at 300 ohms), but it's only really an extra db or so of volume. The Magni 2 Uber's power really comes into play when using low impedance headphones. The HD800's aren't planars, they're not crazy power hungry or anything. They're actually pretty sensitive, they can get pretty loud on even a smartphone (though I don't really recommend it).

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #19,560 of 28,989

The HD800's aren't planars, they're not crazy power hungry or anything. They're actually pretty sensitive, they can get pretty loud on even a smartphone (though I don't really recommend it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back