The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jun 23, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #19,066 of 28,989
  People on head-fi seems to be allergic to the art of EQing.

Using EQ will save you so much time and money. Unless you want to plug to different 'warm' amps for each and every song. 

I love the level of precision they offer. I don't need to use a piece of gear that rolls off from 6k on to fix the peak, I can simply surgically lower that exact area to my needs without affecting the rest of the frequency range.

However, EQ's do have their limitations. They don't provide more pleasurable tube distortion, reduced driver control (which some like), and don't fix stuff like cup resonance (which is what mods are for).

Jun 23, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #19,067 of 28,989
EQ is fine but like anything else it has tradeoff - for EQ this is ringing or artefacts from the digital filtering (generally pretty transparent though).  Warm amps have tradeoff.  Warm cables have tradeoff.  Anax mod sort of has tradeoffs.

My philosophy I don't like active solutions and prefer to address the problem (ringing) directly so I prefer modification of the headphone as a matter of philosophy.

Jun 23, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #19,068 of 28,989
i find that hd800 treble is bright to my ears. thats the reason i used after market cable. i dont use eq in my setup for either tube or non tube set up. i believe every hd800 owners will find a way to tame the treble brightness. it is just a matter of ways to do it.
well ..thats my opinion.
My way was to purchase a Sennheiser HDVD800 which solved the problem.

Jun 24, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #19,070 of 28,989
Though the following lines may sound ridiculous, I really mean it seriously:

Yesterday, I completely cut off my mutton chops and shaved my head, then I showered and listened to the HD 800. Treble was clearly more prominent and the certain harshness some are talking about was suddenly there and the low range was less prominent. It's interesting how the bald area around my ears now makes such a difference compared to when I had mutton chops and head hair just before.
I guess it's time now to regrow my facial and head hair again to get back the "body's natural Anaxilus mod".

Jun 24, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #19,071 of 28,989
Th
Though the following lines may sound ridiculous but I really mean it serious:

Yesterday, I completely cut off my mutton chops and shaved my head, then I showered and listened to the HD 800. Treble was clearly more prominent and the certain harshness some are talking about was suddenly there and the low range was less prominent. It's interesting how the bald area around my ears now makes such a difference compared to when I had mutton chops and head hair just before.
I guess it's time now to regrow my facial and head hair again to get back the "body's natural Anaxilus mod".

That is the spirit, awesome!!

Jun 24, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #19,072 of 28,989
  Though the following lines may sound ridiculous, I really mean it serious:

I just recently got an undercut:

And my first thought leaving the barber was "Huh, this'll be perfect for my HD800's! 
L3000.gif

Jun 24, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #19,073 of 28,989
Could it have been the shower, rather than the shave? :grin:

Jun 24, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #19,075 of 28,989
  Though the following lines may sound ridiculous, I really mean it serious:

Not ridiculous at all.  IMO, one of the least discussed yet most significant variable in how we "hear" headphones is the seal between the headphone's pads and the listener.

Jun 24, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #19,076 of 28,989
Say John, glad to know we have natures Anax Mod:wink:. Now I will have to find a toupé and do some A/B testing:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:!

Jun 24, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #19,077 of 28,989
Could it have been the shower, rather than the shave? :grin:

Haha, I guess not, as I shower frequently and my ears are in general very clean (I clean them frequently with Otowaxol ans have got quite straight and very clean ear canals, as an audiologist told me not much time ago, that's why my ear canals are quite clean and cerumen drains off easily).
It's definitely due to the shave of my mutton chops and head as I my head hair had a length of about 1.5 inches and my mutton chops of propably 0.8 inches. I've never experienced treble harshness with my HD 800 before.
Quite an interesting topic imo.

By the way, Q-Tips shouldn't be used to cleaning your ear canals as they push cerumen even deeper towards your eardrum and may block your ear canals one day. You won't notice it until the day it happens and you are almost deaf on one side and need to go to see the audiologist to get that wax removed.

Jun 24, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #19,078 of 28,989

Haha, I guess not, as I shower frequently and my ears are in general very clean (I clean them frequently with Otowaxol ans have got quite straight and very clean ear canals, as an audiologist told me not much time ago, that's why my ear canals are quite clean and cerumen drains off easily).
It's definitely due to the shave of my mutton chops and head as I my head hair had a length of about 1.5 inches and my mutton chops of propably 0.8 inches. I've never experienced treble harshness with my HD 800 before.
Quite an interesting topic imo.

By the way, Q-Tips shouldn't be used to cleaning your ear canals as they push cerumen even deeper towards your eardrum and may block your ear canals one day. You won't notice it until the day it happens and you are almost deaf on one side and need to go to see the audiologist to get that wax removed.

Q tips are great if they are wet with oxygen-water, or boricat alchool (strong alchool against ear disease) . They do clean the wax, and you do hear more treble after doing so. Sadly, the effect of hearing more treble wears out as the ear needs to cover the area again in wax, to keep itself from harm.

Jun 24, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #19,079 of 28,989
Imo Otowaxol (or even water mixed with a little soap and medical alcohol which is quite the same as Otowaxol liquid) in combination with an ear wax removal syringe is the better solution as it doesn't push the earwax deeper into the ear canals.
All of the otolaryngologist I know and even an IEM manufacturer I know don't support the usage of Q-Tips.

Of course not everybody's ears produce the same amount of cerumen and not every ear canal has the same shape, so some people (like me) may not have much problems with clogged ear canals while some might.

Impo Q-Tips aren't bad if you use them for removing a slight and soft layer of wax, just as you do, George, but some people have got rather big crumbs of cerumen in their ear canals and using Q-Tips will most likely push them deeeper and cause clogged ear canals. I've already heard of such cases where people wondered why one side of their ear got blocked despite using Q-Tips, which were the reason for it. Rinsing your ears with an ear wax removal syringe after softening the cerumen with a lotion of water, a little soap and medical alcohol (it can be bought as "Otowaxol" in Germany, I guess there's something similar available in other countries) is the better way of cleaning your ears.
Going to an otolaryngologist the first time for a professional cleaning isn't the worst thing to do either. Some may already have slightly clogged ear canals, which one wouldn't notice before cleaning as the clogging process takes some time and the cerumen cloggs the ear canals spep by step so you don't even notice it. I know some people who had clogged ear canals and reported an improved high frequency perception after a professionally executed cleaning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back