The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 7, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #18,571 of 28,989
  I second this. 

I could not wear LCD3 for more than 15 minutes in a row, due to fatigue.

Is T1 open, like hd800? i had not considered ever getting it...

T1 are not bad, but imo they are not quite flagship level in sound quality. I don't think they should be compared to the HD800s, although on the surface of it, I can see how some could be thinking that. I would choose the HD600s over the T1s on a very good rig pretty much anytime.

May 7, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #18,572 of 28,989

T1 are not bad, but imo they are not quite flagship level in sound quality. I don't think they should be compared to the HD800s, although on the surface of it, I can see how some could be thinking that. I would choose the HD600s over the T1s on a very good rig pretty much anytime.

+1

May 7, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #18,573 of 28,989

I sold my Sonett yesterday and will purchase a new Eddie Current Black Widow in next weeks . This Little EC seems to be a significant upgrade over the Sonett but the plan is still to get the Stratus at the end. 

Any interest in the Cavalli Liquid Carbon ? The EC Black Widow has been on my radar since it was called "the Red Top" !
There's another amp that looks really interesting (but a bit out of my price range) call the Emia Headphone Amp that looks pretty
interesting; any feedbback on this one ?

May 7, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #18,574 of 28,989
well my whole my family and friends prefer T1 over hd 800, they also prefer lcd 3 fazor over both T1 and hd800 .
beyer T1 : with musicality and good bass and real soundstage make T1 the best dynamic headphones for me
while hd 800 sound good , clear, weak bass but controlled , huge soundstage but very bright sound destroy it for me. Hd 800 is very good for monitoring purpose but not for enjoyment for sure . I still think Sennheiser will introduce hd 900 or whatever they will call it to correct the sound of hd 800 . hd 800 is brighter and ringing in my ears which you can't listen to it for more than 1 hours . also I see more people selling their Hd 800 which is not please thing to see .

May 7, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #18,575 of 28,989
  2. From [color=#0000FF]Dobrescu George[/color]

Is T1 open, like hd800? i had not considered ever getting it.

They're semi-open. The center of the mesh-covered ear cup is open air about half the cup's diameter.

I liked them very much. More "polite" than the Sennheisers in a way. Where the HD800 unconditionally speaks its mind, the T1 seemed a bit more tactful with difficult recordings.

I don't mind the warts-and-all approach, though. To me, hearing the artifact is as much a part listening to a recording as the music itself.

May 7, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #18,576 of 28,989
  well my whole my family and friends prefer T1 over hd 800, they also prefer lcd 3 fazor over both T1 and hd800 .
beyer T1 : with musicality and good bass and real soundstage make T1 the best dynamic headphones for me
while hd 800 sound good , clear, weak bass but controlled , huge soundstage but very bright sound destroy it for me. Hd 800 is very good for monitoring purpose but not for enjoyment for sure . I still think Sennheiser will introduce hd 900 or whatever they will call it to correct the sound of hd 800 . hd 800 is brighter and ringing in my ears which you can't listen to it for more than 1 hours . also I see more people selling their Hd 800 which is not please thing to see .

Wow, I find the treble on the T1 harsher (look at the graph on inner fidelity not sure that it is less bright) and the bass less refined. But it is great you found your headphone! It is true you see people selling lots of HD800s, but that is probably because Sennheiser sold way more of them than Beyer sold of the T1. It is really hard to know what it means... You would have to see how many sold 2nd hand as a percentage of total sales to begin to draw conclusions.

May 7, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #18,577 of 28,989

2. From [color=#0000FF]Dobrescu George[/color]

Is T1 open, like hd800? i had not considered ever getting it.

They're semi-open. The center of the mesh-covered ear cup is open air about half the cup's diameter.

I liked them very much. More "polite" than the Sennheisers in a way. Where the HD800 unconditionally speaks its mind, the T1 seemed a bit more tactful with difficult recordings.

I don't mind the warts-and-all approach, though. To me, hearing the artifact is as much a part listening to a recording as the music itself.

Interesting thought.

I have seen a mod for hd800 where you would cover the open part of the drive with dampening material, some sponge, it really changes the sound to a much more friendly approach.

May 7, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #18,578 of 28,989
If anyone is interested I have my HD800 and CSP3 for sale.
I hate to part with them, but I need $$$ to get back into a reef hobby I had a few years ago :)

May 7, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #18,579 of 28,989

I have all 3 at the moment and am planning on selling my LCD-3F and T1s. 

May 7, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #18,580 of 28,989
  Any interest in the Cavalli Liquid Carbon ? The EC Black Widow has been on my radar since it was called "the Red Top" !
There's another amp that looks really interesting (but a bit out of my price range) call the Emia Headphone Amp that looks pretty
interesting; any feedbback on this one ?

I saw the Cavalli amp indeed but never thought seriously to buy it. I wouldn't have thought to sell my Sonett neither. changes went very quickly.  I needed to find an amp that let my DAC breathe while i'm waiting to have the money for the Stratus and some things I read elsewhere made me choose to buy the Little EC. 

May 7, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #18,581 of 28,989
  Can anyone recommend an inexpensive 5-6 foot replacement cable, or someone who sells shortened factory cables?

A while back, someone in this thread recommended this short cable for the HD800, available in four lengths:  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Silver-Plated-Audio-upgrade-Cable-For-Sennheiser-HD800-HD-800-headphones-/201307381524

And there are other "inexpensive" cables out there:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/C0-Pure-PCOCC-Earphone-Cable-PEP-Insulated-For-Sennheiser-HD800-Headphone-/251872384871

http://www.ebay.com/itm/C0-PURE-Silver-Cable-PEP-Insulated-For-Shure-srh1440-srh1840-SRH1540-Headphone/251917284540

350$ max 
beyersmile.png

In that price range, if you're looking for both a DAC and a solid state amp, I feel compelled to again mention the $299 OPPO HA-2 for use with the HD-800.  Seriously.  There's something magical about under-powering the HD800 with a clean, neutral signal.

If the person is willing to up their budget a bit, $400 can get the Gustard H10 and Nuforce HA200. Also if they're willing to go tubes, Bottle Crack with Speedball and Valhalla 2.

I might not have heard the HD800 with a high-end amp/DAC (aside from Questyle CMA800i), but it can sound good with mid-end amps and DACs as long as the tonality of those components is selected carefully. You might not get all the detail out of them, but it blows mid-end headphones out of the water.

I fully agree with ToddTheMetalGod's recommendation of the NuForce HA-200.  

I can't speak for the Gustard H10, as I have no experience there, but if you already have a good DAC, the truly single-ended, Class A NuForce HA-200 is very close behind my Metrum Acoustics Aurix as a great solid state amp for the HD800.  

The NuForce HA-200 is certainly better than the OPPO HA-2 at driving the HD800, but it will consume your entire budget. 

Mike

May 7, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #18,582 of 28,989
I had a chance to listen to a brand new completely stock LCD-x and compare it to my highly modded 800's.

The LCD-x's were heavy and would get rather humid after only about an hour of listening.
That was a big drawback, especially for long term ownership.

And while the bass was impressive on the LCD-x's, the bass from my 800's is more refined/defined, goes lower, has more precise impact, among other traits.

But the biggest drawback for me was the darkness the LCD-x's had.
Yes it had top end but it was no where near as articulate nor as well balanced as what is heard from the 800's or even my near field speakers.

I could see how many would like the LCD-x as they tend to be 'polite' in terms of inner detail and they have a type of veil that minimizes harshness.
And with their bass emphasis, are rather impressive, and once you get accustom to their sonic signature are overall quite pleasant.

JJ

May 7, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #18,583 of 28,989
A while back, someone in this thread recommended this short cable for the HD800, available in four lengths:  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Silver-Plated-Audio-upgrade-Cable-For-Sennheiser-HD800-HD-800-headphones-/201307381524

And there are other "inexpensive" cables out there:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/C0-Pure-PCOCC-Earphone-Cable-PEP-Insulated-For-Sennheiser-HD800-Headphone-/251872384871

http://www.ebay.com/itm/C0-PURE-Silver-Cable-PEP-Insulated-For-Shure-srh1440-srh1840-SRH1540-Headphone/251917284540

In that price range, if you're looking for both a DAC and a solid state amp, I feel compelled to again mention the $299 OPPO HA-2 for use with the HD-800.  Seriously.  There's something magical about under-powering the HD800 with a clean, neutral signal.

I fully agree with ToddTheMetalGod's recommendation of the NuForce HA-200.  

I can't speak for the Gustard H10, as I have no experience there, but if you already have a good DAC, the truly single-ended, Class A NuForce HA-200 is very close behind my Metrum Acoustics Aurix as a great solid state amp for the HD800.  

The NuForce HA-200 is certainly better than the OPPO HA-2 at driving the HD800, but it will consume your entire budget. 

Mike

Does anyone have experience with this cable or can recommend a shorter one? I want to stay around 5-6 feet, don't need an "upgraded cable" just something with the same quality as the stock is fine. I don't put a ton of stock in cables, I just can't stand the length of the stock one.

May 7, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #18,584 of 28,989
Does anyone have experience with this cable or can recommend a shorter one? I want to stay around 5-6 feet, don't need an "upgraded cable" just something with the same quality as the stock is fine. I don't put a ton of stock in cables, I just can't stand the length of the stock one.

I have it... I am the one that @zilch0md mentioned a few posts above ("someone in this thread recommended...").

It is superb.  Its construction is delightful, including a1/8 jack, woven cloth covering, a screw-on 1/4" adapter, a thin cross section, a light weight, and a Y branch reinforced with a brushed-metal sheath.  It sounds indistinguishable from the original Sennheiser cable.  Its only disadvantage is that it is rather stiff... small diameter cable with enough conductor diameter to make it rather stiff, but is really just fine.

It comes in a choice of 4 lengths:  1.2m (which is what I have), 1.5m, 1.8m. and 2.1m.

May 7, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #18,585 of 28,989
I have it... I am the one that @zilch0md
 mentioned a few posts above ("someone in this thread recommended...").

It is superb.  Its construction is delightful, including a1/8 jack, woven cloth covering, a screw-on 1/4" adapter, a thin cross section, a light weight, and a Y branch reinforced with a brushed-metal sheath.  It sounds indistinguishable from the original Sennheiser cable.  Its only disadvantage is that it is rather stiff... small diameter cable with enough conductor diameter to make it rather stiff, but is really just fine.

It comes in a choice of 4 lengths:  1.2m (which is what I have), 1.5m, 1.8m. and 2.1m.

Thanks for those details!

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back