The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 7, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #17,866 of 28,989
  Well my HD800's finally arrived 
smily_headphones1.gif

But just my luck, i got recommended to buy the Grado Mini adaptor, but i can't find it in any store(called about 8 stores)
i bought a chinese cheap adapter but it sounds like crap.
So now i can't use them with my Geek Out at all until they stores will have the Grado adapter again , and who knows how long that will take 
frown.gif

Um, while the "chinese cheap adapter" may contribute to the "sounds like crap" it may not be as simple as that.

Time will tell.

JJ

Apr 7, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #17,867 of 28,989
Thank you all! :)

Yes i need better equipment but i will start with the Geek Out until i can afford to upgrade to something better, so this will have to do for now.

Congrats mate.
Enjoy the HD800 from the GO for the time being until you become really familiar with the sound quality.
No point to jump into expensive amp/DAC configuration until you really sure what type of improvement or changes in the SQ that you want from your HD800 pairing.

Apr 7, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #17,869 of 28,989

Currently I am using the Soundblaster X7 as my Dac/Amp. Four questions I have before I 100% commit to the purchase;

1. Will the X7 be able to correctly power the 800's. (Some say the ohm spikes would cause an issue from proper amping, others say that's untrue) If not, would an o2/odac and or a Modi2 or Loki and an Asgard 2 do the trick?
2. Are there fatiguing treble peaks similar to the HD 700's?
3. Taking into account of diminishing returns would something like the HD600's, AKG 712Pro or another headphone get me 80% the sound of the 800's at a third of the price?
4. How are these headphones comfort wise, I will be using these headphones everyday for at least 5 hours. They will be used for music, movies and gaming, are they viable all-day comfort, multiple usage headphones if not why?

If you try HD800 and you like it, there is no going back to HD600. The HD800 (unmodded) is superior in everything short of tonality.  
Not all music lover agree with HD800, so it is better to try them out before commiting to purchase.

The Soundblaster has Class-D amplifier. While not terrible spec wise to my ears Class-D's are dead/very lean sounding.

Apr 7, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #17,870 of 28,989
  Really.  Read the thread, then get some quality source and amplification.

The HD800 WILL NOT make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

It is a stethescope for your system.

I use the best quality source and the best dac/ amp ,so the problem is not from my source ,it's from the drive of hd 800 which cause loss hearing over time .I believe this .

Apr 7, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #17,871 of 28,989

only people with sensitive ears can heard that .
so I think it's over hype headphones with big sound stage and good detail. nothing fancy only the plastic and viper to make hd 800 looks good.

Have you considered trying out HD202?
An acquaintance of mine prefered HD202 to HD800. Seriously.

Apr 7, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #17,872 of 28,989
Just don't feed the troll guys :wink: 

Apr 7, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #17,873 of 28,989
Hm, maybe he isn't trolling after all. Apart from the bold font...

The guy who disliked HD800 and prefered HD202 to em also
complained about the idle hiss coming out of my studio monitors (10dB). 

Apparently a ppm of population is sensitive to such things.

Apr 7, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #17,874 of 28,989
Priidik : Give a look to his post history. :wink: 

Apr 7, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #17,875 of 28,989
Looking into purchasing HD 800's with my tax returns this month. I use my headphones to listen to sound, I don't use sound to analyze my headphones. I guess that would mean I am not an audiophile, I am a music and movie lover as well as an avid gamer. I am all about having the best in technology an equipment, whether it be my custom PC, calibrated 65zt60 Panasonic plasma or potentially these headphones. 

I have previously owned the HD 700's and I felt that there price per performance was severely lacking at that time. I found the treble peaks insanely irritating for the genre of music I was listening to. Also, I did not find them as comfortable as everyone made them out to be as my ear faintly touched the pads in a way that caused my ear to feel itchy.

Currently I am using the Soundblaster X7 as my Dac/Amp. Four questions I have before I 100% commit to the purchase;

1. Will the X7 be able to correctly power the 800's. (Some say the ohm spikes would cause an issue from proper amping, others say that's untrue) If not, would an o2/odac and or a Modi2 or Loki and an Asgard 2 do the trick?
2. Are there fatiguing treble peaks similar to the HD 700's?
3. Taking into account of diminishing returns would something like the HD600's, AKG 712Pro or another headphone get me 80% the sound of the 800's at a third of the price?
4. How are these headphones comfort wise, I will be using these headphones everyday for at least 5 hours. They will be used for music, movies and gaming, are they viable all-day comfort, multiple usage headphones if not why?

This might not directly answer your questions but.....
After looking at your music prefs in your profile I'm not so sure if the hd800s would be suited (to edm)

I have read/seen reviews that suggest the hd700s are suited for edm (when comparing to hd800s) but you did not find much value there.

I auditioned the hd600s one arvo for about 45 mins and I thought they were great value. Very easy listening, no sharpness at all but (relatively) nice and clear and open. Like settling in to an old favourite couch. Not sure about edm, as I don't listen too much, fine for tick and hip hop.

Straight after that I heard the he560s and I was blown away with the timbre and the lush upper mids and highs and firm and clear bottom end.

I was set to buy those, after another session of demoing them until I heard the hd800s, which also wowed me. I'd be happy with both. (I am happy with the hd800s).

The soundstage of the hd800s is fantastic. I do enjoy the mids and highs as that is a turn on for me in sound profiles. I don't find them fatiguing but I can understand those who do.

However in me choosing between the hd800s and he560s my difficult decision was simply between choosing the "pure enjoyment" of the he560s v the "analytical" offerings of the hd800s.

Im not saying the he560s would suit you but I do recommend as others would say to audition the hd800 and hd600 before seeing if either fit your musical preferences. Particularly if you are looking for headphones to purely enjoy rather than to analyse with (loosely speaking).

Perhaps the fostex th900 might suit at this price point? I believe, from more experienced auditioned/owners of these they can kick some butt.
Perhaps the new fidelio x2, at a mid fi price point, if you've enjoyed your x1s.

If you want something with nice bottom end (not too forced) perhaps the shure srh1540s might be worth looking at a mid price point - they are nice rounded numbers but do have a closed sound. But they bring me back to the value of the hd600s IF they suit.

Good luck with your decisions - always a tricky one until you demo some.

Peter t

Apr 7, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #17,878 of 28,989
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/PhilipsFidelioX2.pdf 

Huge 10Hz-60Hz bass roll-off, massive 9kHz treble peak, rolled off 30Hz square wave, massive bass distortion and best of all, multiple 300Hz square wave overshoots which according to innerfidelity, implies ringing.

Objectively speaking, HD800 have no 'ringing'. If you believe you heard some sort of ringing, then I guess you have a defective pair.

Apr 7, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #17,879 of 28,989
  I prefer Philips X2 over Hd 800 100 % by huge margin, of course bass and smooth treble make X2 better than hd 800 . can I say more yes the price too.

A troll of trolls.  Same ridiculous statements and conclusions on the TH-900 thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back