The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 25, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #17,673 of 28,989
  For me the HD800 , they're technically better than T1, but  for enjoyment HD 800 : 5.5/10,  while T1 score 7.5 /10 ( lcd 3 F: 9 /10 ) . I found HD 800 sounds too cold , thin ,detail very clear .  It's relatively bass light compared to T1's and a bit brighter and fatiguing.  T1's sound very clear , warm and detailed without any fatigue .
another plus for T1 I found them 10/10 for gaming while Hd 800 9/10 .

Hey agooh,

I'm going to agree with you on the LCD-3F as of right now I'm giving the 3Fs more head time over the HD800s.  However, I don't feel the same way about the T1.  I might try another one later on..

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #17,674 of 28,989
  Hey agooh,

I'm going to agree with you on the LCD-3F as of right now I'm giving the 3Fs more head time over the HD800s.  However, I don't feel the same way about the T1.  I might try another one later on..

I feel the same way about the HD800's and the LCD-X's and 2F's (never heard the 3's).

Wonderful, 3D sound from the HD800, but it's definitely more "analytical" and less emotionally engaging than the LCD series.

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #17,675 of 28,989

I have an un-modded one too. I had a chance to compare the Anax modded & un-modded side to side & I prefer the un-modded.

My to by a good margin..

Well, here I go stirring things up again, but the Anax mod really isn't the "last word" in modifying the HD800 "anywho" !

It's a start for those interested in trying it, but I think you'll find a lot of "less than well executed" Anax mods out there ! I'm not sure how many times I ended up just "scrapping" my attempts at placing it in my HD800(& I scrapped it each time because I didn't care for how the headphones sounded afterward)

I modded my 800s to specifically address somethings that "I" was "hearing" as being "mechanical resonances" sitting on top of the
music. You know what ? Less "dynamically dense" music than "I" generally listen to really doesn't even "excite" these resonances
in these headphones. That would be about 90% of all the available recorded music. Another huge factor is that "I" know that whatever "noise" I can hear is only specific to what I'm hearing through my playback system. So I mod "accordingly"

I would hope that people are bright enough to realize not to try to modify anything unless they knew "what" it was they were trying to change. Without some clue of that, it's not that unlikely for them to throw up their hands after missing a detail in a mod & say "See it doesn't improve things"

He,he,he ... Modding or not really isn't a competition anyway! Go with what works for you  (which mode you prefer is only "special" to you; everyone knows "more or less" than everyone else it's all generic)

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #17,676 of 28,989
No one that I'm aware of was in any competition.  Just others expressing their thoughts about that particular mod.  

As I'm aware, the mod was pretty damn easy to do and I heard two pair done by some pretty experienced modders.  It just wasn't my cup of tea, IMO it presented a veil that wasn't there before.  That's what i heard both times - So back to stock / with a hardwire SAA cable.  YMMV

Mar 25, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #17,677 of 28,989
  No one that I'm aware of was in any competition.  Just others expressing their thoughts about that particular mod.  

As I'm aware, the mod was pretty damn easy to do and I heard two pair done by some pretty experienced modders.  It just wasn't my cup of tea, IMO it presented a veil that wasn't there before.  That's what i heard both times - So back to stock / with a hardwire SAA cable.  YMMV

Alright, The competition remark was a bit off the mark, but I'll stick by what I said about the Anax mod not being the "end all" of
mods for these cans.

I didn't have high hopes for it when I saw the statement on the PDF cutout patterns sheet that stated "The HD800 is supposed to be
bright" (To which I though "BS". Sennheiser just "voiced" them to be that way & that wasn't my cup of tea, so I changed that by other
means than the Anax)

I'm a bit curious if you had anything other than SAA cable hardwired by them (or did you just hardwire the cable) ?

Thanks

Mar 25, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #17,678 of 28,989
  Alright, The competition remark was a bit off the mark, but I'll stick by what I said about the Anax mod not being the "end all" of
mods for these cans.

I didn't have high hopes for it when I saw the statement on the PDF cutout patterns sheet that stated "The HD800 is supposed to be
bright" (To which I though "BS". Sennheiser just "voiced" them to be that way & that wasn't my cup of tea, so I changed that by other
means than the Anax)

I'm a bit curious if you had anything other than SAA cable hardwired by them (or did you just hard-wire the cable) ?

Thanks

No.  Just had them Hardwired with the SAA Endorphin cable.  He offers an 'Ultra Mod" He also says he is an ex Sennheiser engineer.  

I didn't get the mod, the Hardwire and the cable was about enough snake oil I could take.

Mar 25, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #17,679 of 28,989
In this review:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/742673/comparison-review-a-tale-of-two-flagships-t1-vs-hd800

He says the T1 has more clarity than the HD800 
confused_face_2.gif

Has anyone else compared them and thinks the same?

Mar 25, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #17,681 of 28,989
Mar 25, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #17,682 of 28,989
  In this review:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/742673/comparison-review-a-tale-of-two-flagships-t1-vs-hd800

He says the T1 has more clarity than the HD800 
confused_face_2.gif

Has anyone else compared them and thinks the same?

Through pretty much any chain i had to use (tubes, ss, different dacs) HD800 slays T1 in technicalities across the board, and not just slightly. Only thing i can see making T1 appeal more is its treble peak that is located in higher fr than HD800's, but it is much more in db than HD800's 6k peak. Some people are tolerant to that peak though, so i can understand how it could be bearable to them.
In my honest opinion T1 is in the same class as Hd650, but i personally like the HD650 better for its better texture, lack of piercing treble and midrange tone&detail. To me T1 felt veiled even compared to HD650, so what clarity? T1 has tighter bass and more slam than HD650 though.

Mar 25, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #17,683 of 28,989

mods for these cans.

means than the Anax)

I'm a bit curious if you had anything other than SAA cable hardwired by them (or did you just hard-wire the cable) ?

Thanks

No.  Just had them Hardwired with the SAA Endorphin cable.  He offers an 'Ultra Mod" He also says he is an ex Sennheiser engineer.  

I didn't get the mod, the Hardwire and the cable was about enough snake oil I could take.

Okay !!!. I'm a bit stumped on that information ,so I let you go !

Have a Good one !

Mar 25, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #17,685 of 28,989
I too tried multiple anax type of mods, and while v.2 was the best of them and helped reduce listener fatigue it was the full SAA treatment that eliminated any further need for mods.

One man's snake oil can be another's solution for his dissatisfaction.

And if no modification is required to ameliorate an acoustic 'problem' that doesn't exist, so much the better…

There is no standard for what is right in the first place, as we all value different sonic aspects…

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back