The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Dec 18, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #15,766 of 28,989

Yay!
smile.gif

Yea, really enjoying them 
biggrin.gif

Got bored todey at work...This is a test piece..

But the real one has few dimensions changed and the end finish is going to be black... Hope it turns out nice 
smile.gif

Dec 19, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #15,767 of 28,989
Just got my HD800 in today, and boy i can't get passed the in-your-face presentation of the highs!
Definitely enjoy their open sound, but i sure hope their highs mellow down a bit after some hours of burn in, at least so they don't sound so..."shouty"
Have them paired with a Bifrost U / Lyr 2 combo.
For the time being, can't see them replacing my LCD3's, at least for hard rock/metal hearings. (live concerts sound fantastic tho on the 800 in my opinion)

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #15,768 of 28,989
Just got my HD800 in today, and boy i can't get passed the in-your-face presentation of the highs!
Definitely enjoy their open sound, but i sure hope their highs mellow down a bit after some hours of burn in, at least so they don't sound so..."shouty"
For the time being, can't see them replacing my LCD3's, at least for hard rock/metal hearings. (live concerts sound fantastic tho on the 800 in my opinion)

I felt the same way when I first got them but now everything else just sounds soft and mellow in comparison. The sound won't change but you will adapt and once you do the LCDs might end up being a very expensive complimentary can.

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #15,769 of 28,989

Or search for the Anax mod on HF and implement it asap. You will be happier.

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #15,770 of 28,989
@James-uk : Did you find yourself an entry-level stax combo finally ?

Dec 19, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #15,773 of 28,989
ah ah ah I didn't want to launch a War mates :wink:

Dec 19, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #15,779 of 28,989

I thought the characteristic e-stat sound was the tonality, particularly the transparency.

Anyway, what I mean to say is, does it sound kind of 'off' on that setup like the HD800 does, with regards to it's brightness.

To clarify: 

I consider tonality something like the distribution between the amount of bass, mids and treble e.g. is it flat ("neutral") or V shaped etc.

Transparency is something different imo. A headphone can have a very warm or bright sound but still be very transparent (or not). Electrostats (and some orthodynamics) have a rather good transparency in my experience. They sound more "3d", its difficult to describe :D

To answer your question: The sr009 on a kgsshv does not sound as bright and harsh as the HD800 can be. It has substantially more bass quantity and more intimate mids than the Sennheiser as well. Maybe a tube amp is a better fit for the HD800 like some people say but I have only listened to it on a Yulong U100 (not recommended) and an HDVD800 (very much recommended). 

Dec 20, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #15,780 of 28,989
I have the WA5/HD800 here - the pairing is amazing even with stock tubes. I'm not getting any harshness in the treble so far even with Wynton Marsalis trumpet in the high registers. I will try a few more treble heavy tracks later. 

Really surprised with the bass and fullness of the WA5 with stock tubes and can only imagine what the EML300b - TS6f8g - CV593 will sound like 

It sounds so different from the WA2 - A LOT BETTER - even though the WA2 is maxed it can't compete with the WA5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back