The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Dec 20, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #15,781 of 28,992
  No and no.

The sr009 does not sound like an HD800 in any way, even if you do not consider the characteristic sound of an electrostat and just focus on tonality........

I agree. The similarities (in terms of freq. response generally) are superficial. They are totally different listening experiences. The 009 has amazing speed and detail but is also harder to tame. (But if you get it right, it's in a class by itself.)

Dec 20, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #15,782 of 28,992
Back when I still had the hd800 I was shocked when I first heard the sr009. I thought it would be a higher level hd800 but that wasn't the case. The signature of the sr009 wasn't for me. I do consider them the best I've heard however. This was with a highly resolving setup too.

I'm not sure why the sr009 are considered the natural upgrade to the hd800. Actually I don't think there is anything I've heard that would be the upgrade to it

Dec 20, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #15,783 of 28,992
Back when I still had the hd800 I was shocked when I first heard the sr009. I thought it would be a higher level hd800 but that wasn't the case. The signature of the sr009 wasn't for me. I do consider them the best I've heard however. This was with a highly resolving setup too.

I'm not sure why the sr009 are considered the natural upgrade to the hd800. Actually I don't think there is anything I've heard that would be the upgrade to it

A subjective example of how a higher price (sr009) does not always necessarily equate to higher satisfaction maybe?

(I checked the price of the sr009 online and nearly died when I read it! :eek: )

I'm guessing the sr009 is the most expensive headphone to run correctly in the current high end market from what I've read here at head-fi so far anyway?

Dec 20, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #15,784 of 28,992
A subjective example of how a higher price (sr009) does not always necessarily equate to higher satisfaction maybe?

(I checked the price of the sr009 online and nearly died when I read it!
eek.gif
)

I'm guessing the sr009 is the most expensive headphone to run correctly in the current high end market from what I've read here at head-fi so far anyway?

Check out the Abyss AB-1266 :)

Dec 20, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #15,785 of 28,992
I went the Stax mid level route and wound up selling it. Then I auditioned the 007 and and later the 009 both were on Stax amps at that time. The 007 was shockingly warmer then all the other Stax entries almost like very good ortho's. The 009 was nothing like my HD800. So bright and etched that I could not listen to it for long. Then much later I had a chance to hear the 009 on a woo amp and boy was it different. Much better and highly resolving. Still if I was to go back to the Stax family I would go for the warmth of the 007. The cost of pairing either of these with a proper amp is just too much for me to justify. I have invested far less in my HD800 system and get glorious sound. Just the need to have a completely dedicated system for Stax was enough to put me off. I like to change off my headphones and obviously you can't do that with Stax (you would need more than one complete system). I guess if I had an unlimited budget I might go for the 007 with a Woo amp but not as my only system. To get into the really good Stax sound you have to be thinking upwards of 7-10K. Even more if you want to go with the very top electrostatic amps.

Dec 20, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #15,786 of 28,992
Guess I'll crap on the HD800 considering this is the proper place.

To me, they're lifeless no matter what I've heard them on. That is, they're just not for me. I disagree that the HD800 is just so different from the 009.
They really do share the same approach, it's just the 009 does everything right, for me. The 007 is warmer and veiled compared to the 009, but it's still 
more resolving than the HD800. The HD800 gets soundstage and imaging right, those are tops, but it's still a headphone that has never moved me.
It's still technically one of the best headphone around, but that doesn't equate to enjoyment, same can be said for the 009 - too resolving, not dark enough ,etc.

I'd love to hear the HD800 out of something that is considered beastly i.e. Leviathan, I've heard 'em out of LG, LAu, EC onslaught and they were never transformed.
I don't believe any amp will morph any driver into something it's not, but I hope to achieve the absolute best for my 009 with a DIY T2.
I will say however, a good $2.5/3k can land you a KGSSHV which is an absolute wonder with the 009. That could totally be endgame, if you wanted to stop chasing the dragon.

Dec 20, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #15,787 of 28,992
  Guess I'll crap on the HD800 considering this is the proper place.

To me, they're lifeless no matter what I've heard them on. That is, they're just not for me. I disagree that the HD800 is just so different from the 009.
They really do share the same approach, it's just the 009 does everything right, for me. The 007 is warmer and veiled compared to the 009, but it's still 
more resolving than the HD800. The HD800 gets soundstage and imaging right, those are tops, but it's still a headphone that has never moved me.
It's still technically one of the best headphone around, but that doesn't equate to enjoyment, same can be said for the 009 - too resolving, not dark enough ,etc.

I'd love to hear the HD800 out of something that is considered beastly i.e. Leviathan, I've heard 'em out of LG, LAu, EC onslaught and they were never transformed.
I don't believe any amp will morph any driver into something it's not, but I hope to achieve the absolute best for my 009 with a DIY T2.
I will say however, a good $2.5/3k can land you a KGSSHV which is an absolute wonder with the 009. That could totally be endgame, if you wanted to stop chasing the dragon.

popcorn.gif

Dec 20, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #15,788 of 28,992
I never understood people calling the 009s "bright". To me the HD800 is brighter or let's put it this way, has more trouble with the treble. The treble of the SR009 is top notch. I wonder how long the posters above have actually lived with both headphones, if at all, and to what extent they are merely repeating popular beliefs spread around these forums about these headphones.

The only thing I agree with the above is that the SR009 is not an upgrade from the HD800. There are things that the HD800 does spectacularly which the SR009s fail to do, such as soundstage and imaging. One presents sounds in a delicate, ethereal manner (i.e. the SR009), the other presents them with more pin-point accuracy and with more of an "edge", though not as meaty or visceral as planars. In short, they cannot sound more different. 

That said, with a proper set-up, the level of enjoyment one can get from the HD800 can really be second to none.  

Dec 20, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #15,789 of 28,992
I went the Stax mid level route and wound up selling it. Then I auditioned the 007 and and later the 009 both were on Stax amps at that time. The 007 was shockingly warmer then all the other Stax entries almost like very good ortho's. The 009 was nothing like my HD800. So bright and etched that I could not listen to it for long. Then much later I had a chance to hear the 009 on a woo amp and boy was it different. Much better and highly resolving. Still if I was to go back to the Stax family I would go for the warmth of the 007. The cost of pairing either of these with a proper amp is just too much for me to justify. I have invested far less in my HD800 system and get glorious sound. Just the need to have a completely dedicated system for Stax was enough to put me off. I like to change off my headphones and obviously you can't do that with Stax (you would need more than one complete system). I guess if I had an unlimited budget I might go for the 007 with a Woo amp but not as my only system. To get into the really good Stax sound you have to be thinking upwards of 7-10K. Even more if you want to go with the very top electrostatic amps.

There is a level of commitment and I'm still in the middle of it. The plan was to get a kgsshv but the amount of time listening at home has gone down dramatically since I first bought my sr007. However if I was to buy a 2nd headphone it would be the sr009 and a proper amp. I can justify my amp with 1 headphone but not 2.

The hd800 is the safer choice since it's the typical plug that most amps are designed for. It's not a popular choice for enjoyment which I understand however those who like them really like them. If I was to go back I would probably choose these unless a lighter and more comfortable he6 was released.

Dec 20, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #15,790 of 28,992
Check out the Abyss AB-1266 :)

I just checked this and omg, that is so totally expensive!

I mean, you would seriously expect those headphones to be amazingly the best sound quality ever for that price!

How do these Abyss AB-1266 headphones compare to the HD800 or even the sr009?

One thing I can say straight away about the Abyss AB-1266 is, they are totally ugly looking headphones for their cost!

Dec 20, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #15,791 of 28,992
There is a level of commitment and I'm still in the middle of it. The plan was to get a kgsshv but the amount of time listening at home has gone down dramatically since I first bought my sr007. However if I was to buy a 2nd headphone it would be the sr009 and a proper amp. I can justify my amp with 1 headphone but not 2.

The hd800 is the safer choice since it's the typical plug that most amps are designed for. It's not a popular choice for enjoyment which I understand however those who like them really like them. If I was to go back I would probably choose these unless a lighter and more comfortable he6 was released.

We can only hope...
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #15,792 of 28,992
I never understood people calling the 009s "bright". To me the HD800 is brighter or let's put it this way, has more trouble with the treble. The treble of the SR009 is top notch. I wonder how long the posters above have actually lived with both headphones, if at all, and to what extent they are merely repeating popular beliefs spread around these forums about these headphones.

The only thing I agree with the above is that the SR009 is not an upgrade from the HD800. There are things that the HD800 does spectacularly which the SR009s fail to do, such as soundstage and imaging. One presents sounds in a delicate, ethereal manner (i.e. the SR009), the other presents them with more pin-point accuracy and with more of an "edge", though not as meaty or visceral as planars. In short, they cannot sound more different. 

That said, with a proper set-up, the level of enjoyment one can get from the HD800 can really be second to none.  

I use my hd800's with a hi fi m8 amplifier (both gifted to me by my father) and iPhone 6 Plus as source playing downloaded iTunes music, mostly pop like Taylor Swift etc but also artists like Diana Krall but I actually listen to varied genres also including recently, metal.

Do you think my set up is proper ie can I get more out of my hd800's do you think?

Thanks,

SF :)

Dec 20, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #15,793 of 28,992
A lighter more comfortable HE6 is exactly what I am waiting for. I had hopes for the HE560 but from all the reports I am going to wait on that. If they could deliver the HE500 sound in a much lighter package I would be on board. I would still never sell my HD800's. I should point out that I listen mostly to classical so that explains my preference for the Hd 800 but when I had the HE500 during the 15 minutes I could keep it on my head the warm ortho sound was very appealing for a change of pace.

Dec 20, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #15,794 of 28,992

We can only hope...
biggrin.gif

I would sell my SR007 rig so fast and buy a lighter and more comfortable HE6 if that ever happened. That's one of the few headphones where everything sounds so effortless and that midrange is probably the best I've ever heard.
I use my hd800's with a hi fi m8 amplifier (both gifted to me by my father) and iPhone 6 Plus as source playing downloaded iTunes music, mostly pop like Taylor Swift etc but also artists like Diana Krall but I actually listen to varied genres also including recently, metal.

Do you think my set up is proper ie can I get more out of my hd800's do you think?

Thanks,

SF
smily_headphones1.gif

A good way is to try to go to a meet and hope it's not loud or if you have a hifi audio shop that has different types of amps that they could let you try with the HD800. I've never heard them but they don't seem to be very popular here.

Dec 20, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #15,795 of 28,992

Thanks,

SF
smily_headphones1.gif

I can't speak for you as I have not heard the M8 amplifier. But I can tell you that it took me almost a year of trying different top of the line amps and DAC combinations before I became entirely happy with the HD800s. My current HD800 setup (MSB Analog, EC 4-45, HD800 plus tubes and cables) costs well over US$10,000. In my experience, the HD800 can scale very high when you improve your upstream equipment. That said, the most important thing is your own budget and how much you are content with the sound you are getting from the HD800s. Very often people end up with a mid-fi set up and stay there for a very long time. Sometimes people attend meets or try out amplifiers and start getting ideas about how much more their HD800 can improve. In fact, listening to a better setup with the HD800s was the very reason why I partook this endless journey to harness the full potential of the HD800.

In short, if you are happy with what you are hearing, and do not have the time, interest or budget to upgrade, do not bother. Otherwise, welcome to a wild ride of a journey!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back