The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Nov 25, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #15,361 of 28,989
For classical especially I really liked the corda jazz from Jan Meier. Great clarity and detail. Great dynamics. Nice extension. The corda classic is maybe better but more expensive. A friend of mine will sell his classic because he bought a bottlehead crack. PM if interested.

The cross feed feature does wonders for some old jazz recordings too.

I was considering classical/orchestral as your preference.
I haven't actually heard the Schiit amp, but for 350$ and what has been said about it, i wouldn't hesitate to buy one for myself, if i haven't got the HDVA600 already. From what i have read, the Valhalla 2 is ~nearly as good as the HDVA600, at the same time surely a bit different, too. Apparently its not the typical OTL syrupy tube amp sound. More like good sounding ss, so i have read by trusted ears.

Other recommendations: If you want to end your journey in the solid state world, go stright to the Schiit Ragnarok, that is what i plan to do if my wallet fattens up.
   HDVA600 is a good choice, esp used. Smooth, silky sound, definently lets all the brightness come through from source side. First time i heard HD800 is capable of world class bass, and realistic vocals. I think its fairly neutral too, easy to differentiate sources.

I wouldn't:
The original Lehman BCL is nothing special in my experience, dull, grainy and light note weight at the same time, not a good choice for orchestral piecies. If its clones are anything like it, then i would avoid, sure the op-amps can be rolled and caps removed, etc.

Thank you Priidik & Sorrodje!

Will take your advice into strong consideration

Nov 25, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #15,362 of 28,989
Very long thread, so apologies if this has been discussed already.

Read volumes of posts, articles and reviews saying HD800 is on the bright side/lacks bass body/mass. So my questions are:

1. Is this true?
2. Or could those impressions maybe just due to gears/sources/sacs/amps that lack bass?
3. What's the best amp that will bring out the bass on the HD800?

Cheers.

Nov 25, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #15,363 of 28,989
Very long thread, so apologies if this has been discussed already.

Read volumes of posts, articles and reviews saying HD800 is on the bright side/lacks bass body/mass. So my questions are:

1. Is this true?
2. Or could those impressions maybe just due to gears/sources/sacs/amps that lack bass?
3. What's the best amp that will bring out the bass on the HD800?

Cheers.

1. See 2
2. Correct, unless you are a bass head, in that case you have picked the wrong phone 
wink.gif

3. Without a budget and preferences hard to give definitive suggestions.

Nov 25, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #15,364 of 28,989
1. See 2

2. Correct, unless you are a bass head, in that case you have picked the wrong phone  :wink:
3. Without a budget and preferences hard to give definitive suggestions.
Thanks for those.

Not a bass head, but not a treble head either. Don't like lack of bass when the recording has or calls for it.

Looking at FR graphs of HD800, it's very linear. Bass is not rolled off at all. So where are those comments saying its on bright side coming from? If HD800 is revealing, that would only mean upstream gear are at fault.

Budget is around US$2,000, more or less. What amps in this price range makes it bass-sufficient? If there are cheaper ones, better, of course.

Nov 25, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #15,365 of 28,989
Thanks for those.

Not a bass head, but not a treble head either. Don't like lack of bass when the recording has or calls for it.

Looking at FR graphs of HD800, it's very linear. Bass is not rolled off at all. So where are those comments saying its on bright side coming from? If HD800 is revealing, that would only mean upstream gear are at fault.

Budget is around US$2,000, more or less. What amps in this price range makes it bass-sufficient? If there are cheaper ones, better, of course.

The Violectric v281 would be an excellent choice for that budget if you're using balanced cables.

Nov 25, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #15,366 of 28,989
Thanks for those.

With the HD800's whats on the recording is basically what you get, especially with regards the bass.
The HD800's do have a treble peak but a good amp will also give you plenty of bass, non recessed midrange and smooth treble which wil l make the treble peak less noticeable or troublesome. It's certainly no issue for me.
It's when source/amp have lack of bass, body and weight in the midrange or are themselves brighter than neutral that issues occur IMO.
Some amps do prefer lower impedance phones than the HD800's so it's no surprise some don't sound very good with the HD800's.

With your budget I would recommend Audio-gd Master-9 (I have Master-6 which is superb with the HD800's) or the new Schiit Ragnorak which is supposed to sound very good with the HD800's.
For tube amps there are far more possibilities that are less likely to have the issues mentioned earlier and I am sure other people will add suggestions as I am a solid state guy.

Nov 25, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #15,367 of 28,989
Thanks for those.

The Vioelectric V281 would be an excellent match if your in the solid state amp excellent  for the HD800. If you looking tubes the WA22 from Woo is excellent with upgrade tube is also a good choice.

Nov 25, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #15,368 of 28,989
IMO the best option is to try seriously the hd800 from any serious amp before spending much money. SCHIIT Vali or matrix m-stage are good and affordable options. If with those amps, the hd800 has not enough bass to your tastes, then Your best options are some light Eq or other headphones.

Spending big bucks in amps in order to change the signature of any headphone is not something I'd advice.

My 2 cents.

Nov 25, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #15,370 of 28,989
HD-800 is the best dynamic headphone that I've heard when paired with a proper DAC and AMP. 
For your budget the Audio-gd Master 9, Schiit Ragnarok, Auralic Taurus or Violectric V281 would be interesting choices :)

Nov 25, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #15,371 of 28,989
  My Val 2 is going up for sale. The vintage Fisher 500c is now my new hd800 amp.

I need to try a vintage amp with my HD800 someday. I was looking at a Sansui AU-717 before I decided to get the CSP3.

Nov 25, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #15,372 of 28,989
  My Val 2 is going up for sale. The vintage Fisher 500c is now my new hd800 amp.

Would you ever sell it do you think? There are probably people lining up to buy it anyway if you were. 

I just recieved some GEC 6AS7G's for my WA2. Gonna do some serious listening today with HD800

Nov 25, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #15,374 of 28,989
My first day on this thread as I just received new Sennheiser gear.  
Current rig:  Macbook pro -> Toslink -> Uber Bifrost -> HDVA600 -> CH800S -> HD800.
Great sound right out of the boxes.  More revealing than the Audez'e sound.  Great soundstage.  Haven't heard any shrill treble yet.  Plenty of bass and the mids are wonderful.  Plan to test 'em out on some Zeppelin after a couple beers :).

All the best -
RCBinTN

Nov 25, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #15,375 of 28,989

Users who are viewing this thread

Back