The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Oct 22, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #14,671 of 28,989
nephilim32 I've seen you post that thing in 4-5 threads already, and I don't keep many subscriptions these days. Please stop spamming it.

Oct 22, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #14,672 of 28,989
nephilim32 I've seen you post that thing in 4-5 threads already, and I don't keep many subscriptions these days. Please stop spamming it.

To be honest it was 6 different threads from my subscription list. I just wanted to make sure I could get an informed opinion of the subpac from others here, and possibly a solid opinion of it relative to the same sources being used like the HD 800. I think you are being a bit unfair to say that I am spamming. Anyway turns out some people here where able to help me and shot some product reviews my way. This I all I wanted. Sorry if my keen interest annoyed you. Wasn't sure how else to do it

Oct 23, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #14,674 of 28,989
The HD800 is on sales at Amazon at $961.
The seller is Amazon warehouse deals, not Amazon nor another 3rd party seller. Most of them have cosmetic defects, but the price is too good to pass if you are in the market for a HD800.

Oct 23, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #14,675 of 28,989

Do they make that in a jump suit?   I want that action from wrists to ankles.  
[/quote

Hey my friend. I think this product is the real deal. Really accurate LFE. 5-125 hertz. I tried it today at an expo. I just loved it. I am gonna get it for sure. Best upgrade I can do for myself at this point.
wink.gif

I've tried the Buttkicker with headphones, but found it to be too narrow in bandwidth - a lot better than tapping my chair with a rubber mallet, and quite powerful, but the vibrations just don't integrate well with the music heard in my headphones - and, it's localized to where my body touches the chair.

In short, the Buttkicker is not a realistic experience and I can imagine that this product, being full torso length, would be better, but there would still be nothing happening in my arms and legs.  I was serious when I wrote that I want wrist-to-ankle coverage. Let's add a helmet to that.  Basically, I want to "feel" what I get from a good HiFi system - without disturbing anyone else in the house.   Otherwise, I'll just listen to the HiFi.  

Thanks for introducing it though!

Mike

Oct 23, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #14,676 of 28,989
Watching Joe Bonamassa on  Bluray  "An Accoustic Evening At The Vienna Opera House"

Listening with the HD800......Oh Lord....epic.

Oct 23, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #14,677 of 28,989
Is a coloured amp better than just applying some EQ? If a song doesn't place nicely, it sounds pretty good with some quick EQ in the treble usually for me.

Oct 23, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #14,678 of 28,989
  Is a coloured amp better than just EQ the sound? If a song doesn't place nicely, it sounds pretty good with some quick EQ in the treble usually for me.

I would rather have a neutral amp and use EQ IMO.

Oct 24, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #14,679 of 28,989
I've tried the Buttkicker with headphones, but found it to be too narrow in bandwidth - a lot better than tapping my chair with a rubber mallet, and quite powerful, but the vibrations just don't integrate well with the music heard in my headphones - and, it's localized to where my body touches the chair.

In short, the Buttkicker is not a realistic experience and I can imagine that this product, being full torso length, would be better, but there would still be nothing happening in my arms and legs.  I was serious when I wrote that I want wrist-to-ankle coverage. Let's add a helmet to that.  Basically, I want to "feel" what I get from a good HiFi system - without disturbing anyone else in the house.   Otherwise, I'll just listen to the HiFi.  

Thanks for introducing it though!

Mike

The whole body! Lol you are serious. :)
That's intense. I feel the torso may be enough after what I experienced.
It was lovely. The subpac does deliver a flat EQ response so it won't taint your sources, which is key in my book. Thanks for introducing me to the buttkicker. Lol. But seriously, I think the SUBPAC may be far superior. Can't wait till they restock this item. They are back ordered.

Take care mike. Go easy on the bass....just kidding! :wink:

Oct 24, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #14,681 of 28,989
Well I've just spent the last 6 months with only one headphone... Had the HD800 a couple of years now and I have no want for another.
Theres two good points in regards to what this means for me; 1. I've beat my 'buying headphones' addiction... 2. I have been able to put all my focus on the music recently - Not balancing a perfection in sound quality as well. I've also lived with my vintage NAD amps feeding them for many months too and have now completely stopped looking for ampidge as well... I feel I won't do any better without selling my back gate to happy sailors on the quayside to pay for it.  So... 

It's a nice place to be :) But a boring one regarding posts on here haha. 

Defo the best hifi purchase I've ever made!

(and trust me, you don't need to shell out $$$$ to source these slinky silver mothers to enjoy what they are capable of. Just feed them the right power.) (don't ask me what that is though) (not sure why I've started using brackets) (can't stop..)

(help!)

ok I've stopped.

(Doh!)

Oct 24, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #14,682 of 28,989
  Well I've just spent the last 6 months with only one headphone... Had the HD800 a couple of years now and I have no want for another.
Theres two good points in regards to what this means for me; 1. I've beat my 'buying headphones' addiction... 2. I have been able to put all my focus on the music recently - Not balancing a perfection in sound quality as well. I've also lived with my vintage NAD amps feeding them for many months too and have now completely stopped looking for ampidge as well... I feel I won't do any better without selling my back gate to happy sailors on the quayside to pay for it.  So... 

Defo the best hifi purchase I've ever made!

(and trust me, you don't need to shell out $$$$ to source these slinky silver mothers to enjoy what they are capable of. Just feed them the right power.) (don't ask me what that is though) (not sure why I've started using brackets) (can't stop..)

(help!)

ok I've stopped.

(Doh!)

(LOL at the bracket thing) 

(At least you haven't resorted to nano type)

Oct 24, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #14,683 of 28,989
I have to agree.  I've been looking for a compliment to the HD800 and so far, no luck.  In all my cases, I've always preferred the HD800. 
Now my goal is to find a second pair that I can hook up to my iPhone6 or AK100 Mk II to take around the house and travelling.  The HD800 won't cut it for that's I'm now looking at the HE400i. I can see myself being a 2 HP kind of guy.
The HD800 is King!
Now.. that MHA100... 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

ok I've stopped.

(Doh!)

Oct 24, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #14,684 of 28,989

i used to have hd800 and lcdx
now I have hd800 and hifiman he6.
to have different flavors - to change up a bit sometimes
the he-6 is excellent imo.

Oct 25, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #14,685 of 28,989
I'm completely conflicted at the moment between the HD800, LCD-3, and HE-6.

HD800:
- Had before with V200 = amazing, miss it dearly
- Just missed out on insanely cheap Amazon pricing ($980 'Like New')

LCD-3
- Expensive ($1600 used)
- Only heard it on TOL rigs (See sig for my current setup
frown.gif
)
- WEIGHT (hated my LCD2.2 due to weight)

HE-6
- WEIGHT (sold my HE-500 because insufferable weight)
- A/B'd with my old HE-560 (through EF-6), couldn't really decide if one was better than the other
- Amp. Nothing to add here, we all know it needs a speaker amp ($$, would have to sell my AMP/DAC = hassle)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back