The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Oct 6, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #14,326 of 28,989

That's a poor man's T1. 

I'd argue though that the HD650 and HD800 sound completely different. Which is why people turn towards the AKG K701 or DT880 when it comes to being the "poor man's" HD800.

Oct 6, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #14,327 of 28,989
  I'd argue though that the HD650 and HD800 sound completely different. Which is why people turn towards the AKG K701 or DT880 when it comes to being the "poor man's" HD800.

Yeah but I thought the DT 880 and T1 were very similar?  I honestly can't name a poor man's HD 800.  

Oct 6, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #14,328 of 28,989
  when i use the decware csp3 ( beeswax caps) the tubes i love using is the mullard gz37 as the rectifier , then i use the stock6n1p on both sides .
now the front tube if i want to have more detail/treble  ill use tungsram 6922, but if i want it to be not very fatiguing  with better bass i use the ediswan but still with good detal  .

Good to hear. I'll have to keep the Mullard in mind. I was looking at the Telefunken GZ34...
Man it's nice to get back into tubes again :)

Oct 6, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #14,329 of 28,989

Yeah but I thought the DT 880 and T1 were very similar?  I honestly can't name a poor man's HD 800.  

Hmm I have heard some people say the T1 is like an improved DT880 in just about all regards. I have also heard the T1 was brighter than the DT880. There was some commotion before about T1's differing from each other in sound signature. I would like to think that Beyer has better quality control than that.

Oct 7, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #14,331 of 28,989
So... I've readed a lot of pages here guys. Got someone any imperssions with this headphones played them with dust cover mesh and without it?
It's a bit strange to me but I think overall the sound coming out from this cans without the inside mesh is for me more delicate, smooth, less sibillant and slightly more detailed.
Does not this action make any problem to the membrane itself? Is there any risk of playing them without this mesh?
Cheers

Oct 7, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #14,332 of 28,989
  So... I've readed a lot of pages here guys. Got someone any imperssions with this headphones played them with dust cover mesh and without it?
It's a bit strange to me but I think overall the sound coming out from this cans without the inside mesh is for me more delicate, smooth, less sibillant and slightly more detailed.
Does not this action make any problem to the membrane itself? Is there any risk of playing them without this mesh?
Cheers

That mesh is only there to keep dust and foreign objects from reaching the driver. A useful task. Up to you if you choose to go without.

Oct 7, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #14,333 of 28,989
Quote:

I have never found a software/firmware EQ that can play a pure sine wave tone without distorting it.

Try downloading and playing one of the 30-second WAV files available at this site:

http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/tone/download/

Here are direct links to the 100Hz WAV and MP3 files - try enabling and disabling your EQ at nearby frequencies as the pure tone plays...  

http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/tone/files/100Hz_44100Hz_16bit_30sec.wav

http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/tone/files/100Hz_44100Hz_16bit_30sec.mp3

I recently read that "Equalizer APO" does not introduce distortion, but I have not yet downloaded it and tried the above test.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

Mike

Hi Mike,

I am getting caught up on this thread...

I just tested all of these tones in iZotope's Ozone 5 equalizer module exactly as you suggested, i.e. equalizing the frequency and turning bypass on and off. The output is absolutely distortion free to my ears. Mind you, it is an expensive equalizer but worth the money in my view.

Further to that, I do sometimes find the HD800 bright right around the 6,000 hz mark due to the infamous treble spike. I received the graph of my HD800 from Sennheiser and the spike is clearly visible as below. So I do sometimes eq using Ozone 5 with excellent results. A lot of people are modding their HD800 to deal with the spike (Tyll's guide to it here). I may try that but I hate to mess with the HD800's wonderful soundstage. I find that this eq profile below (which is still a work in progress) tones down the treble glare centred on that spike but leaves the soundstage of the HD800 undisturbed. I only eq about 2db max. It is enough. (I am listening with the GS-X mk2, still single-ended.)

Oct 7, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #14,334 of 28,989
^ for the record sometimes lightening speed and accuracy can be exhausting for some listeners, but for me. :wink:
I love everything about the HD 800's and I would never consider stifling their overall dynamics and soundstage with something like an anaxilus mod. This is just my hearing tastes but I've really grown to love the 800's bright and accurate sound. The treble edge I think sounds perfect and of course my sources bring the 800's fully to life.

Eq'ing is not for me, but I can understand why others meticulously do it.

Oct 7, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #14,335 of 28,989
Hey Paul!

I've posted that "test" in several threads, but you're the first person ever to do the leg work, and best of all, you're reporting good results using this EQ software - iZotope Ozone 5.

Thanks very much for the recommendation.  If you're not hearing distortion when toggling the EQ in vs. out, that's good enough for me to want to try it, but at $249, I'm hesitant to even download the 10-day trial, for fear of wanting it.  
tongue.gif
  And then there's my desire lately to get away from using my laptop as a transport - I would have to EQ all my files and save them for use in other devices like my FiiO X5, which I use as a "file server" for my desktop rig,

This video is pretty compelling, though:  http://youtu.be/B-7vqNBKAuU

I wish they would sell just the EQ portion of it...

Thanks!

Mike

Oct 7, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #14,336 of 28,989
My latest 2 cents here: I find running the 800 balanced improves the soundstage.
(By the way, my Beyer DT880s and 990s sit unused, virtually unused since new, since I didn't like them right out of the box. They made me nervous, overly ringing, hard, and punchy.
The T1s were much better, more fleshed out. But eventually I sold the T1s since other flagships were better. I just never got around to selling the 880s and 990s.)

Oct 7, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #14,338 of 28,989
Does the HD800 destroy any speaker costing 1500$ or less?
I'm talking about SQ only.

kind of comparing apple to orange but IMO, you can get very decent active monitors at that price.

Oct 7, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #14,340 of 28,989
OK 
smily_headphones1.gif

It's just that i have a budget of 1500$ and i have the GeekOut, so i can go with theHD800, or with a pair of near field monitors, and it's very hard to decide, because i had a pair of HD800 in the past, and loved their sound, on the other hand i also love the open sound of speakers.
Of course the only thing that matters to me is the SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back