The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Oct 8, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #14,356 of 28,992
  The most effective mod I have tried with very little if any negative impact on the sound was the Anaxilus mod just on the metal ring around the driver.

Just search for the video here on how to do it with all the templates for cutting the foam and felt material.  I am sure you can find everything you need in a craft supply shop at Bangkok. 

I found that stuffing the foam on the screen as shown in the picture impacted the sound negatively. Just focus on the ring around the driver (black felt).  And you can do a much better job than shown by just following the video instructions.

The cost of the material will be less than a few dollars with enough material to modify several pairs of HD800s.  I can sell you one set of the mod kit for $5,000 as a punishment for not trying something this simple yourself.

deadhorse.gif

You did read what I wrote, right?  the part that says "Sadly been looking around and can't find materials here in Bangkok"....

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #14,357 of 28,992
The mods don't change the headphone's character, just remove some of the vagueness in the stereo image. If anything, I feel the result is more Stax-like, with pinpoint imaging afterwards.

That is interesting and comforting of you to say/observe, but placing a cloth like material around the circumference of each ear cup has me so worried that the openness and airy soundstage may be compromised. Above all though, I'm really happy with how the 800's are performing in my sound chain. It's just so incredible and when I get home from work its the first thing I do....put on those lovely cans and escape into musical bliss. :wink:

Actually, tell me something. Have you replaced the 800's stock cable? This is the only thing I've not done. I am very weary of doing so, but I am doing more research on the science behind cables. :)

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #14,358 of 28,992

You did read what I wrote, right?  the part that says "Sadly been looking around and can't find materials here in Bangkok"....

'Course I did read the whole thing. It is just very hard for me to believe that there is no foam, felt or sticky tapes in a large, modern city like Bangkok! But I take your word for it.

You can buy any of this material from Amazon.com, ebay or Alibaba for a few dollars but the shipping cost will be 5 to 10 times higher if you want it to be delivered within a reasonable amount of time.

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #14,359 of 28,992

'Course I did read the whole thing. It is just very hard for me to believe that there is no foam, felt or sticky tapes in a large, modern city like Bangkok! But I take your word for it.

You can buy any of this material from Amazon.com, ebay or Alibaba for a few dollars but the shipping cost will be 5 to 10 times higher if you want it to be delivered within a reasonable amount of time.

lol, I would be more than happy if you come over and try to find one so you can 'believe'.
sticky pad, sure, but 2mm foam paper, 2mm felt paper.. no.
I can go to the factory and have them custom made for me, but that would be industrial order as all I need is no more than A4 size.
I can order online but as you say, the cost would be a lot more and just too much hassle.
Anyway, I'm quite happy with what I bought, else I would buy other headphones!

Oct 8, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #14,360 of 28,992
Got a question about Colorware and it's paint process. Suppose you have a HD800 and it has those (paint?) chips that a lot of us here have, will the Colorware paint job cover up those chips and make it look like a brand new HD 800 that got Colorwared from stock?

Oct 8, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #14,361 of 28,992
  Got a question about Colorware and it's paint process. Suppose you have a HD800 and it has those (paint?) chips that a lot of us here have, will the Colorware paint job cover up those chips and make it look like a brand new HD 800 that got Colorwared from stock?

They re-sand everything down. So yes, perfect finish.

Oct 8, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #14,362 of 28,992
Oct 8, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #14,363 of 28,992

lol, I would be more than happy if you come over and try to find one so you can 'believe'.
sticky pad, sure, but 2mm foam paper, 2mm felt paper.. no.
I can go to the factory and have them custom made for me, but that would be industrial order as all I need is no more than A4 size.
I can order online but as you say, the cost would be a lot more and just too much hassle.
Anyway, I'm quite happy with what I bought, else I would buy other headphones!

I may have the left overs from when I did the mod to mine, if so I could just throw it into an envelope and mail it.

Oct 8, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #14,364 of 28,992

I may have the left overs from when I did the mod to mine, if so I could just throw it into an envelope and mail it.

Thanks, if you do, let me pay for shipping or something. I was just looking online and can't find one place that sell both felt and foam. Its like 90 cent per sheet but shipping will probably a lot more, and have to order from two different shops. Too much hassle for us folks from far away land.

Listening to Mighty Sam McClain on my HD800 right now and wondering how the mod will make it better.

Oct 8, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #14,365 of 28,992
Wow. I just got these yesterday and I'm rediscovering my music again. So much detail is coming through that I haven't heard before. And this is just by trying it through the cheap speaker amp Topping TP60

Oct 8, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #14,367 of 28,992
Wow. I just got these yesterday and I'm rediscovering my music again. So much detail is coming through that I haven't heard before. And this is just by trying it through the cheap speaker amp Topping TP60

Yeah, they are pretty good, huh?

I have not miseed a day  of listening with mine, since i have bought them....a few months now.

There are a few very good remasters that have given me quite a few "wow" moments.

These cans make me smile  
smile.gif

Congrats on your purchase, can't wait to keep hearing your impressions as you move forward.

Oct 8, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #14,368 of 28,992

Ooooh,  you will be in for a treat when you upgrade your amp.  Topping TP60 is great for HPs like HE500 and other orthos but won't do HD800 justice

To me,  HD800 = effortless details.

Gratz!

Oct 8, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #14,369 of 28,992
They re-sand everything down. So yes, perfect finish.

Correct, up to a point. They do specify that your gear should be free of serious signs of wear. Actually for a while, they refused to re-paint used HP. They changed that policy later on.

They refused to repaint one of my HD800 because it had too many severe surface damages but did a great job removing a few dings I had on the other pair. Good as new. BTW, that new paint (automotive?) is a lot tougher than the stock paint. After two years, I haven't seen a single scratch on it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back