The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 16, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #13,861 of 28,989
I routinely use these disposable, elasticized covers on the ear pads of all my headphones.

http://www.amazon.com/Large-Stretchable-Headphone-Covers-Earmuff-style/dp/B009CDXPCG/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1410925756&sr=1-4&keywords=headphone+covers

You can see them on the HD800 in this photo:

The large size is fine for LCD-2, PM-1, and HD600/650, but it's a little tight with AKG K550 and way too large for Amperior or DT1350, where the small size is preferable.

I find them to be cooling with both leather and velour pads and they have no detectable impact on sound quality. Needless to say, the pads stay in mint condition for potential resale.

Mike

Sep 17, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #13,862 of 28,989
I routinely use these disposable, elasticized covers on the ear pads of all my headphones.

http://www.amazon.com/Large-Stretchable-Headphone-Covers-Earmuff-style/dp/B009CDXPCG/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1410925756&sr=1-4&keywords=headphone+covers

The large size is fine for LCD-2, PM-1, and HD600/650, but it's a little tight with AKG K550 and way too large for Amperior or DT1350, where the small size is preferable.

I find them to be cooling with both leather and velour pads and they have no detectable impact on sound quality. Needless to say, the pads stay in mint condition for potential resale.

Mike

Why ?

Sep 17, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #13,864 of 28,989

Mike

This felt like a recurrent nightmare.

My Mom used to put platic covers on our sofas and chaise longue, in the livingroom. This would keep them looking new and clean for our guests, she told me. But...with those platic covers on, the sofas look horrible most of the time, I objected. We never resolved this disagreemkent .

I am afraid that using those covers on my HD800 would send me into a catatonic state that I may not recover from, a least not without extensive and expensive therapy.

No. Thanks for the suggestion, Mike, but it's best for my sanity to just buy a new pair of HD800 once the pair I am using is worn out.

Cheers :))

Sep 17, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #13,866 of 28,989
  ^^ Love ya Mike, but there is no way I'm putting those ghetto @ss shower caps on my nice hp's. Nope, not gonna do it. I'll suck it up when it's time and replace the pads. 

roflmao 
darthsmile.gif

Sep 17, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #13,869 of 28,989
  ^^ Love ya Mike, but there is no way I'm putting those ghetto @ss shower caps on my nice hp's. Nope, not gonna do it. I'll suck it up when it's time and replace the pads. 

Ha ha ha ha ....man, matt.....this made my side hurt from laughing  
biggrin.gif

Sep 18, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #13,870 of 28,989
Alright lads!

the chance to have two, two hour listening sessions on the new (20,000plus serial number) HD 800 this week.

I only listened to FLAC files and it was driven by the hdvd 800 amp.

This was the first time I'd listened to this headphone, and it's something I've been waiting to do for a long while. I felt like a kid on Christmas day when I first walked in the room and saw them.

Plus sides:

1. The soundstage was incredible. The placement of instruments and massive feel they give you is something I'd never experienced before, and it completely took me off guard, no matter how many reviews I'd read beforehand.

2. Clarity and detail were second to none. There was nothing this headphone was gonna miss on a song. Not a thing.

3. Classical, specifically piano and orchestral pieces sounded spectacular - enough to make me buy them just t be able to listen to that genre alone.

Jazz also sounded very impressive but seemed to lack warmth.

Downsides:

1. I felt it struggled hugely with Reggae, Pop and Rock (I preferred Reggae on my ps500e's by quite a margin)
They seemed to lose their life within the shuffle of each track.
Very thin, cold and anemic sounding.

2. I'd heard that the 800's can be quite harsh and have quite a bit of sibilance with vocals. To my delight in the first listening  session I had I didn't experience any. That was until the last 5-10 minutes, just before I left, when I decided to listen to some Diana krall.
Her voice hit me like a bloody thunderbolt, like someone had taken an icepick and driven right into my dome!
I went through a few more tracks and again spike that came with some of the vocals were quite shocking.

This pretty much broke my heart. And I decided not purchase.

I did come back the next day and had an hour comparing them with hd650's, just for ****s and giggles.

Sorry I couldn't really go into details as I struggle to articulate experiences with headphones in the same depth some of you ''audiophiles'' do - I just thought I'd let you know how I felt.

It's a shame such an incredible headphone has such a huge flaw.

Sep 18, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #13,871 of 28,989
  Alright lads!

the chance to have two, two hour listening sessions on the new (20,000plus serial number) HD 800 this week.

I only listened to FLAC files and it was driven by the hdvd 800 amp.

This was the first time I'd listened to this headphone, and it's something I've been waiting to do for a long while. I felt like a kid on Christmas day when I first walked in the room and saw them.

Plus sides:

1. The soundstage was incredible. The placement of instruments and massive feel they give you is something I'd never experienced before, and it completely took me off guard, no matter how many reviews I'd read beforehand.

2. Clarity and detail were second to none. There was nothing this headphone was gonna miss on a song. Not a thing.

3. Classical, specifically piano and orchestral pieces sounded spectacular - enough to make me buy them just t be able to listen to that genre alone.

Jazz also sounded very impressive but seemed to lack warmth.

Downsides:

1. I felt it struggled hugely with Reggae, Pop and Rock (I preferred Reggae on my ps500e's by quite a margin)
They seemed to lose their life within the shuffle of each track.
Very thin, cold and anemic sounding.

2. I'd heard that the 800's can be quite harsh and have quite a bit of sibilance with vocals. To my delight in the first listening  session I had I didn't experience any. That was until the last 5-10 minutes, just before I left, when I decided to listen to some Diana krall.
Her voice hit me like a bloody thunderbolt, like someone had taken an icepick and driven right into my dome!
I went through a few more tracks and again spike that came with some of the vocals were quite shocking.

I did come back the next day and had an hour comparing them with hd650's, just for ****s and giggles.

Sorry I couldn't really go into details as I struggle to articulate experiences with headphones in the same depth some of you ''audiophiles'' do - I just thought I'd let you know how I felt.

It's a shame such an incredible headphone has such a huge flaw.

I have listened all kinds of music in my hd800 and I dont think the headphones have any sibilance on them. They are just so accurate than if the track is even little bit hot/too bright it will definitely sound too hot/too bright. With good quality recordings I have not experienced any sibilance on any music genre. Darker phones will compensate the recordings flaws so if you listen bad recodings you better have darker sounding phones.

Sep 18, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #13,872 of 28,989

You've Just discovered that some Krall recordings are that bad 
biggrin.gif
.  I'm so fan of the singer herself BTW. There're a lot of Jazz Singer I much prefer.

Sep 18, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #13,873 of 28,989
We all hear differently and some ears are just that bit more sensitive to certain frequencies. The HD800 is never going to please everyone or cater for every type of music/taste. This is why contrasting hp's such as Audeze are also very popular.

What I would suggest to the op if he likes everything else about the HD800 is to simply eq the peak down that is annoying. It could be anywhere from 6 to 10 khz but a good eq should pinpoint it. There are modifications available to try also but I would prefer to do a little eq that won't affect the other freq's as much.   

Just a thought :) 

Sep 18, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #13,874 of 28,989
  I've read that you can input your S/N to Sennheiser and receive a frequency response chart.

I'm having trouble finding where to do so - any ideas?

Thanks in advance. 

http://en-de.sennheiser.com/service-support-services-register-your-product

When you enter HD800 and click Continue, the next page has all the regular fields for data and a box, at the bottom, where you can request the response certificate.

Tim

Sep 18, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #13,875 of 28,989
I have the HD800's and occasionally I hear excessive sibilance but do not blame the phones for this. Any sibilance I hear is on the disks so I would expect to hear it with a phone as revealing as the HD800's.

The same sibilance is noticeable on all my other phones as well, including the LCD2.2, but can be more obvious on the HD800's due to its clarity/detail and lack of excessive warmth, darkness or rolled off treble.

I have also never heard the HD800's sound thin, lifeless or anemic and that is with a neutral SS amp and silver cables!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back