The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jul 16, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #12,196 of 29,010

Compression level and Dynamic Range does not cover the whole problem. R.A.M is heavily compressed but still remains fully enjoyable even with the HD800 :wink: . the recording stays good In my opinion. Not the best I heard but not bad.  For example i can listen to RAM or lately the Jay-Z/linkin Park EP "collision course" ( heavily compressed with average recording IMO)  although I really can't listen to some late 80s pop like Sade for example.

What all HD800 owners say is that HD800 is revealing and could be very unforgiving. that's the truth but with some gear , the HD800 can keep all its resulution capabilities AND become a bit more forgiving. IMO the HD800 combines three caracteristics that produce harshness : its fast , treble happy & impactful. On inappropriate gear ,that produces harshness and pain weeks after weeks. the Better gear provides smoothness AND refinement  AND a best reproduction of dynamics and detail. Then the HD800 keeps its main strengths , keeps its analytical nature ( but it's definitely not bright as Beyers or Grados can be) but not Harsh anymore.  Then the HD800 is still revealing but much less unforgiving and perfect recordings ( ACT Jazz label for example) still sound sublime but average recordings become more enjoyable.

You can trust me or not. That's my experience. I had a HEGEL HD10 DAC . it's a very good dac but after a month i was afraid to listen to my music and I could only bear some very well recorded Jazz or Classical. however the HD10 is definitely not a bright DAC. it's perfectly neutral but it hits hard and the HD800 sound painfully harsh with this DAC.  I really thought to sold the HD800 and I was desesperate. A friend proposed me to trade it's Rega DAC against my Hegel and the final result was by far better despite the HEGEL is In my opinion a better dac.

With my current system, I can listen to everything I like with my HD800 without any fear of having to change tracks when quality is worse. I don't need anymore other headphones for my personal use. Obviously my favourite music is not 80s pop or Punk/Rock . But my last.fm profile shows I listen to a wide range of music.

beerchug.gif

I don't want it to be forgiving if it's taking out it's resoluting abilities.  I want it to keep it's integregity and be hyper revealing.  My nirvana is the most resloving detailed nothing missing headphones. I want to hear every damn thing!!! 

Jul 17, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #12,197 of 29,010
I am pairing my Crack with the Schiit Bifrost Uber with the HD800. I wince at certain recordings but for the most part, my CDs ripped into lossless sound fantastic. Listening to Dire Straits "On Every Street" which is just an outstanding CD.

Jul 17, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #12,198 of 29,010
The DC-1 is neutral but doesn't sound laid back either. Finding it hard to describe actually. The DC-1 can hang with the big boys.

Jul 17, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #12,200 of 29,010
A relative bought a cheap CS4398 DAC/Amp from China which costs about $60 and I tried it with the HD800 and I was quite shocked at the sound quality this cheap thing puts out, the most bang for your buck I have ever heard. 

Very clear mids, tight but with good bass impact and quite a clean treble. Soundstage, imaging and separation sounds awesome, this is amazing! This honestly sounds like something in the $300 price range. Here is where my relative got it from, if you guys are interested. 

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1.w137644-161437795.40.hFbSrt&id=16024002813

Jul 17, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #12,201 of 29,010

Matrix Mini-I Pro does those things for me. Aggressive and detail oriented.

I read in your review that the Mini-I Pro sounds a bit 'harsh', while the X-Sabre is much smoother. I'd like to add some aggressiveness, but without harshness if that makes sense.

Jul 17, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #12,202 of 29,010
  I am pairing my Crack with the Schiit Bifrost Uber with the HD800. I wince at certain recordings but for the most part, my CDs ripped into lossless sound fantastic. Listening to Dire Straits "On Every Street" which is just an outstanding CD.

+1....incredible cd

I should get my new dac today after work....this is one of the recording that I will be listening too.....along with some Pink Floyd.

Jul 17, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #12,203 of 29,010

There is a new "Japanese" release of Brothers in Arms that sounds fantastic. 

Jul 17, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #12,204 of 29,010
  A relative bought a cheap CS4398 DAC/Amp from China which costs about $60 and I tried it with the HD800 and I was quite shocked at the sound quality this cheap thing puts out, the most bang for your buck I have ever heard. 

Very clear mids, tight but with good bass impact and quite a clean treble. Soundstage, imaging and separation sounds awesome, this is amazing! This honestly sounds like something in the $300 price range. Here is where my relative got it from, if you guys are interested. 

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1.w137644-161437795.40.hFbSrt&id=16024002813

Nice v200. What dac do you use it with? And what do you think of it with the HD800?

Jul 17, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #12,206 of 29,010
Jul 17, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #12,210 of 29,010
So I stole this from Instagram and thought you HD800 fans would like to see.

Probably one of the nicer HD800 custom jobs I've seen.

Enjoy 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back