The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jun 17, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #11,326 of 28,989
  Try putting a Beyer pad on them and pull the headphone apart for a week until they permanently stay in a looser position. Makes it far more comfortable. The weight will still be there, but at least no more awkward pressure points whatsoever.

Good suggestion. Beyerdynamic has a lot of different types of pads however. Do you know what model will fit with the Audeze frame?

Jun 17, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #11,327 of 28,989
  Good suggestion. Beyerdynamic has a lot of different types of pads however. Do you know what model will fit with the Audeze frame?

I bought one like this: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Headband-Cushion-Pad-fit-BEYER-HiFiMAN-DENON-SONY-KOSS-BOSE-BEATS-DRE-Headphones-/200799150982?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item2ec08fe386&_uhb=1

Seriously try pulling the headband apart. Start pulling it apart with both hands at 12 o clock. Next move your hand down the headband, so one at 11 and the other at 1o clock, then 10 and 2, then 9 and 3 and so forth. Keep doing that for a week. Also, each time you pull, make sure to hold that stretch for a few seconds. After the week, the pads never touched each other when on stand.

Before the mod: pads touching each other on stand

After the mod + headband add-on: Pads never touched each other on stand

It took awhile but totally worth it.

Jun 18, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #11,328 of 28,989
The HD800 sounds so, so, so, so much better with a pretty aggressive downward EQ from 6k to 10k... (by that I mean 3.5 to 5db down).

You lose the metallicy, thin, annoying sibilance and are left with a big, detailed sound with unmatched imaging. 

Honestly, I can listen to these for a long time (on top of the comfort factor). My LCD-2.2s, the super thick creamy sound gets annoying after awhile. You have to down EQ it in the mids to start revealing some detail, but even then the sound is pretty small compared to the HD800s! 

I didn't like my HD800s very much before the EQ, but I will never turn back now!!! 

Jun 18, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #11,329 of 28,989
I am glad your posting the EQ recommendations. Most hear are against any EQ and as such do not get the full effect of using the headphones. May I ask what amp and or dac are you using ??
Al

Jun 18, 2014 at 5:02 AM Post #11,330 of 28,989
So EQ gives you the 'full effect of using the headphones" ?  
cool.gif
   Or does it give you your preference?

These statements, boy I tell ya...

Jun 18, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #11,331 of 28,989
  The HD800 sounds so, so, so, so much better with a pretty aggressive downward EQ from 6k to 10k... (by that I mean 3.5 to 5db down).

I think its more a function of individual ear construction. No denying there are 6k-ish peak and mine has 10,5k peak. 
At first i did the same thing, applied high-shelf -3dB. But then the phones lost some of its apparent agility and i'd even say transparency. 
Much better to use band eq filters at trouble spots. Even better is to use no eq at all.

Interestingly while i have no amp at hand that does justice to HD800-s, while feeding it through my dac-s line outs these peaks sort of vanish... 

Jun 18, 2014 at 5:49 AM Post #11,332 of 28,989
I think ALRAINBOW's comment was not quite phrased right...at least I hope so 
confused_face.gif

Jun 18, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #11,333 of 28,989
I am glad your posting the EQ recommendations. Most hear are against any EQ and as such do not get the full effect of using the headphones. May I ask what amp and or dac are you using ??
Al

I know I don't even know What I meant lmao.
I sent its good someone shares using EQ. as this is always a debate for purity , as I don not EQ the hd800 I do understand why some feel the end to. For the LCD,3 are too dull without it. The hd800 I do not because witha good DAC and amp they sound very different . The M7 is warmer DAC and for me did not need EQ. however I am 57 years old as such do not hear like you kids do or play better resolution of music. So my comment is EQ is good and better than a mod . But when using the EQ the sound stage and details may suffer . But in the end we shroud enjoy the music and not squint over the sound.
I hope this is better than before.
Al

Jun 18, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #11,335 of 28,989
Bro I just woke up in the first text at 4 am.
I need more coffee. Hahahaha
Al

Jun 18, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #11,337 of 28,989
I own a company I have many things to do.
But even on the days I do not I wake up anyway.
My wife hates this obsession but hey it's not a titty bar
Lmao
She should be happy.
Al

Jun 18, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #11,338 of 28,989
I own a company I have many things to do.
But even on the days I do not I wake up anyway.
My wife hates this obsession but hey it's not a titty bar
Lmao
She should be happy.
Al

^ this guy

Jun 18, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #11,339 of 28,989

You lose the metallicy, thin, annoying sibilance and are left with a big, detailed sound with unmatched imaging. 

Honestly, I can listen to these for a long time (on top of the comfort factor). My LCD-2.2s, the super thick creamy sound gets annoying after awhile. You have to down EQ it in the mids to start revealing some detail, but even then the sound is pretty small compared to the HD800s! 

I didn't like my HD800s very much before the EQ, but I will never turn back now!!! 

Sometimes the liquidity of a headphone can make it less fatiguing IMO. Yes, the LCD 2.2 can be annoying and overwhelming at times I agree, they are solely for a certain type of music listening. Using them for anything else is just not practical. HD800s are my go to HP, but the fullness of the mids on the LCD2 make the HD800s seem hollow when the right songs are listened too. Even more so with the stock cable, and I know many will disagree but my blind test tells my ears otherwise.  Like I said before, perfect compliments to each other.

In response to an expensive cable upgrade (I recall Canadian411 saying earlier that sometimes people are tricked into thinking $$$ sounds better) the balanced cable that sennheiser sells for the HD800s is 380$ and equal in price to most reasonably priced aftermarket cables (ex. Moon audio black dragon balanced is 365$). 

Now only if Sennheiser would make a flagship planar....  

Jun 18, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #11,340 of 28,989
  Nice! LOL I remember telling you to get a HD800 just awhile back. You're going to love it.

I'm sure we'll still be able to find that HE-500 in a crowd just by feeling on the rough sliding mechanism on one of the sides. It was one of a kind. 
wink.gif

Haha yeah I tested one 2 years ago at a meet on a Lyr/Bifrost stack. Can't wait for it to arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back