The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jun 17, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #11,312 of 28,989
Haven't heard anyone complaining. I have pretty large head/ears ,but ears are not too angled.
Anyways if i modded mine (Anax mod), i had to 
choose thinner materials, otherwise my ears made contact with the liner, which is irritating. 
The angled inside actually helps to ensure there is no contact, but close proximity to the ear.

Jun 17, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #11,313 of 28,989

Nice list of music........I am going to need to get a king crimson cd....what do you suggest

+1, King Crimson is amazing, 

I would sample them because their music varies so much. They are not your standard musicians and their sound changes from album to album.

My favorites are Red, USA (live album, 40th anniversary edition is incredible, songs are so much longer then the original LP), Discipline, In the Court of the Crimson King, Larks Tongues and Aspic, and Starless and Bible Black

For you King Crimson fans another great band is U K, made up of John Wetton from KC, Eddie Jobson who played with Zappa, and Bill Bruford original Yes member and also a KC member. 

Also check out Stick Men, a band formed by Tony Levin famous for playing the Chapman Stick, a KC member who debuted on their album Discipline, A great album although different from their earlier stuff 

Jun 17, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #11,314 of 28,989
  The AKG's will need a little more volume than the HD800. But they also like more voltage to bring out the lower end and this helps to add body. The AKG's are more like planars in respect to the low impedance but need for loads of power. So hybrid amps such as the Lyr that give out lots of watts are recommended, vintage amps are a cheaper option too and would be my first choice if you have the desk space :) 

Anyone who claims these are lifeless and sterile are simply under amping them. Its a classic tell tale sign :) They are one of the most neutral hp's out there, that is all.

They should suit your needs perfect for movies etc with the wide soundstage. You might want to add some bass with EQ for hip-hop though. 

Also and just in general, I don't think its fair to compare the QK/701 to the HD800. The AKG's had their little moment at the top many years ago and so in the interests of what is relevant now (in terms of technology and monies) we should just let them enjoy their retirement :D   

Ended up buying them last night in white as they stood out to be the most unique….Although I cancelled it today. Despite the cheap price I can get them at, I didn't want to make sacrifices with comfort anymore. Don't feel like dealing with bumps. A part of me atm wants to get on it again, but the other practical side of me is quite happy. Might as well not waste money on these and get the HD800 quicker with which I don't have to sacrifice on any part of the sound and comfort.

Jun 17, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #11,315 of 28,989

Ended up buying them last night in white as they stood out to be the most unique….Although I cancelled it today. Despite the cheap price I can get them at, I didn't want to make sacrifices with comfort anymore. Don't feel like dealing with bumps. A part of me atm wants to get on it again, but the other practical side of me is quite happy. Might as well not waste money on these and get the HD800 quicker with which I don't have to sacrifice on any part of the sound and comfort.

If you are going to get the HD800 anyway, then you made the right choice bud 
beerchug.gif

Jun 17, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #11,316 of 28,989
For anyone concerned by the price of the HD800 break it down into hours of use/ pleasure. I did this and I estimate that over the last 2 years I've had approximately 260 hours of listening time with these based on a conservative 5 hours a week on average. That works out at roughly £1.92 per hour of use so far. That's cheap entertainment in my book! So for me it wasn't money wasted it was money well spent. Best thing is is they are the gift that keep on giving :) I'm going to be enjoying these for years to come so that figure gets diluted even more.

Jun 17, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #11,317 of 28,989
  If you are going to get the HD800 anyway, then you made the right choice bud 
beerchug.gif

Yeah, already had decided to get the HD800 after auditioning them, but kept getting sidetracked with other purchases. Still have a few more things to get before jumping back into the high end headphones. I miss my LCD-3. The D2000 while being exceptional for movies and TV shows, it simply can't cut it for music.

The only two headphones that currently intrigue me are: HE-560 and the upcoming Hifiman stat.

After having lived with HE-500, LCD-2 and LCD-3 for 3 years, I figured I probably wouldn't be able to enjoy the Q701s as much as I would have, had I not heard the other three. So HD800 it will be. 
beerchug.gif

Jun 17, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #11,318 of 28,989
Yeah, already had decided to get the HD800 after auditioning them, but kept getting sidetracked with other purchases. Still have a few more things to get before jumping back into the high end headphones. I miss my LCD-3. The D2000 while being exceptional for movies and TV shows, it simply can't cut it for music.

The only two headphones that currently intrigue me are: HE-560 and the upcoming Hifiman stat.

After having lived with HE-500, LCD-2 and LCD-3 for 3 years, I figured I probably wouldn't be able to enjoy the Q701s as much as I would have, had I not heard the other three. So HD800 it will be. :beerchug:

You will love hd800., maybe th900 later on if you miss the lcd2/3 sound quality (not the discomfort) :)

Jun 17, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #11,319 of 28,989
You will love hd800., maybe th900 later on if you miss the lcd2/3 sound quality (not the discomfort)
smily_headphones1.gif

TH-900 are also planned as an upgrade for closed/D2000. I was initially considering TH-600 but backed out and wanted to hold on the TH-900. At the moment, I have two closed and no opens, so the HD800 will be first. Yeah I missed the LCD-2 most, but definitely not their discomfort. Comfort is non-negotiable going forward, regardless of how well they sound.

Jun 17, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #11,320 of 28,989
TH-900 are also planned as an upgrade for closed/D2000. I was initially considering TH-600 but backed out and wanted to hold on the TH-900. At the moment, I have two closed and no opens, so the HD800 will be first. Yeah I missed the LCD-2 most, but definitely not their discomfort. Comfort is non-negotiable going forward, regardless of how well they sound.

Yape, that's the reason I sold my Audeze, and probably will not buy again unless they fix the design flaw, (weight and annoying angle pads). :) but just me, peace !

Jun 17, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #11,321 of 28,989

After having lived with HE-500, LCD-2 and LCD-3 for 3 years, I figured I probably wouldn't be able to enjoy the Q701s as much as I would have, had I not heard the other three. So HD800 it will be. 
beerchug.gif

fancy seeing you here zoom. I ended up selling your HE500, and bought an HD800, so looks like I'll be joining this thread now.

Jun 17, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #11,322 of 28,989
  +1, King Crimson is amazing, 

I would sample them because their music varies so much. They are not your standard musicians and their sound changes from album to album.

My favorites are Red, USA (live album, 40th anniversary edition is incredible, songs are so much longer then the original LP), Discipline, In the Court of the Crimson King, Larks Tongues and Aspic, and Starless and Bible Black

For you King Crimson fans another great band is U K, made up of John Wetton from KC, Eddie Jobson who played with Zappa, and Bill Bruford original Yes member and also a KC member. 

Also check out Stick Men, a band formed by Tony Levin famous for playing the Chapman Stick, a KC member who debuted on their album Discipline, A great album although different from their earlier stuff 

larks tongues and discipline are by far the best IMO. 

Jun 17, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #11,323 of 28,989
  fancy seeing you here zoom. I ended up selling your HE500, and bought an HD800, so looks like I'll be joining this thread now.

Nice! LOL I remember telling you to get a HD800 just awhile back. You're going to love it.

I'm sure we'll still be able to find that HE-500 in a crowd just by feeling on the rough sliding mechanism on one of the sides. It was one of a kind. 
wink.gif

Jun 17, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #11,324 of 28,989
  larks tongues and discipline are by far the best IMO. 

Those are defiantly the top tier king crimson, I would put Red up there as well. 
  ..... Yeah I missed the LCD-2 most, but definitely not their discomfort. Comfort is non-negotiable going forward, regardless of how well they sound.

Yape, that's the reason I sold my Audeze, and probably will not buy again unless they fix the design flaw, (weight and annoying angle pads).
size]
but just me, peace !

Putting on my LCD2 sometimes makes me feel like im strapping into an astronauts helmet. They are flawed in that respect. Imaging is lacking as well in direct comparison. I almost lost all hope for the LCD2 and didn't use them for a year since this forum so graciously introduced me to the HD800s. That was until I gave them one last run before selling them. In a head to head match up against the HD800s, I now believe they are an excellent, if not a perfect compliment to the HD800s and cant sell either. What did it for me was a dusty collection of Frank Zappa albums. Apostrophe, Zoot allures and Sheik Yerbout, hilarious albums and at the same time astounding on the LCD2s.

Jun 17, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #11,325 of 28,989
  Those are defiantly the top tier king crimson, I would put Red up there as well. 
Putting on my LCD2 sometimes makes me feel like im strapping into an astronauts helmet. They are flawed in that respect. Imaging is lacking as well in direct comparison. I almost lost all hope for the LCD2 and didn't use them for a year since this forum so graciously introduced me to the HD800s. That was until I gave them one last run before selling them. In a head to head match up against the HD800s, I now believe they are an excellent, if not a perfect compliment to the HD800s and cant sell either. What did it for me was a dusty collection of Frank Zappa albums. Apostrophe, Zoot allures and Sheik Yerbout, hilarious albums and at the same time astounding on the LCD2s.

Try putting a Beyer pad on them and pull the headphone apart for a week until they permanently stay in a looser position. Makes it far more comfortable. The weight will still be there, but at least no more awkward pressure points whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back