The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 27, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #10,921 of 28,989
Wow ue18.

I broke my 2nd set of ue900 and decided not to buy anything over $100 iem.

But that is a very good iem!!

May 27, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #10,922 of 28,989
Wow ue18.

I broke my 2nd set of ue900 and decided not to buy anything over $100 iem.

But that is a very good iem!!

Same here. I broke my IEMs so many times that I gave up on IEMs. Didn't even bother with SE215 to get a replacement.

May 27, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #10,923 of 28,989
  Same here. I broke my IEMs so many times that I gave up on IEMs. Didn't even bother with SE215 to get a replacement.

Yupp, about $100-150 bucks is my limit. I've got a few different ones for different purposes.

One pair of CX-300 for the gym, one pair of shure 115 with noise isolating tips for the plane and then hifiman re-400 for everything else.

Only bought the re-400 because I somehow managed to break my "philips tread" in-ears. Which was a real shame since they were the best sounding in-ears I've ever had for my tastes and casual listening, I liked them even better than the re-400. They were supposed to be indestructible but you know... in-ears... break.... it happens.
frown.gif

May 27, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #10,925 of 28,989
^^ I've also heard good things about the klipsch X10's. Might try those or similar if I ever break my RE-400's.

I like the HD800, HD600, HD650 sound signature and I can't stand IEM's with too much bass. Netural sound signature and tight bass is how I like it. The RE-400 does that but unfortunately it's a little bit on the "dry" side for me, it doesn't feel very fun. Maybe I'll come around, we'll see.

May 27, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #10,926 of 28,989
I have yet to experience an IEM with a strong and sturdy cable. All stock cables I've tried on IEMs have been so flimsy. Shure headphones and IEMs have always fudged me over this. I just lost interest in them having to keep sending stuff back for repair or replacement. It's a shame since I loved having a pair for travelling.

May 27, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #10,927 of 28,989
Please do not take offense but what are you doing with them. Hahaha. The most commen damage is leaving them in your pockets. As some damage is due to the fact they are fragile most is us. I have a bud who makes the cables at headphone lounge. He schooled me what people do to hi and his cables. I take mine out and shove them in a pouch in my back pack . And they never get damaged but the wires are always knotted. I did shove them in my pocket once and I did bend the pins a bit. But I fixed them .
Al

May 27, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #10,928 of 28,989
  I have yet to experience an IEM with a strong and sturdy cable. All stock cables I've tried on IEMs have been so flimsy. Shure headphones and IEMs have always fudged me over this. I just lost interest in them having to keep sending stuff back for repair or replacement. It's a shame since I loved having a pair for travelling.

Have you used Audio Technica iems?
I had a pair of CK10-s, i still have the cable  
ksc75smile.gif
. (attached to RE262s)

May 27, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #10,929 of 28,989
Just the casual stuff…like sometimes I drop my weights on them while working out, but other than that nothing extreme.

LOL no I use them quite well. The Shure's IEM went out for me at the point where they connect to the driver. Now I do sometimes fell asleep while wearing them, but I do that all the time with my full sized headphones. My KNS 8400 have endured 2 years of that plus being rolled over by chair and the cable is in brand new condition.

I have always gotten cables previously from Headphone Lounge. Always contacted Chris for them and paid him, but when I would receive the cables, they were always from Ted as indicated on the package. I heard they split up a while back. Don't know who to contact now.

May 27, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #10,930 of 28,989
  ^^ I've also heard good things about the klipsch X10's. Might try those or similar if I ever break my RE-400's.

I like the HD800, HD600, HD650 sound signature and I can't stand IEM's with too much bass. Netural sound signature and tight bass is how I like it. The RE-400 does that but unfortunately it's a little bit on the "dry" side for me, it doesn't feel very fun. Maybe I'll come around, we'll see.

I can recommend TDK IE800 and some Knowles TWFK based iems, both lively up top and good imaging abilities, almost neutral.
These are usually under 150$. Although RE-400 bass is of noticeably better quality than a typical balanced armature, i really like their bass. 

May 27, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #10,931 of 28,989

You really should try and pick up a pair of philips tread. Like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-SHO2300BK-ONeill-THE-TREAD-in-ear-headphones-SHO2300-Black-GENUINE-/331204033875?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item4d1d4c7d53

The housing is aluminium, you can probably jump on them. The cable has some heavy duty sleeving, you'd need a serious pair of scissors.

The plug is supposed to be unbreakable molded rubber, I managed to break it somehow. Probably a freak accident.

Still these ones lasted longer than any other IEM's I've had, and the sound quality is great. I enjoyed the sound more than any other sub $200 IEM's I've tried. I think I might have to pick up a pair or two before they're all gone...

May 28, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #10,935 of 28,989
I've had my HD800s for almost two weeks, and they're terrific. I am driving them with a Woo Audio WA7 desktop amp. 

One thing I've noticed is that I now prefer to listen at a lower volume. Previously I listened to the same amp with a pair of HD555s (modded for better soundstage & bass) and the volume dial was at 12 o'clock. When I first got my HD800s I was also listening at the same level. I found there to be much greater sound leakage from the new cans, and the overall volume to be higher. Gradually I found that the perfect setting is for the dial to be at 9 o'clock. I can hear much better detail and separation between mids and trebles, etc.

Has anyone else noticed the same thing? Is there a particular reason why high-end headphones might sound "better" (subjectively) at lower volumes than higher volumes? (I am new to the site so this might have been discussed somewhere else, apologies if so.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back