The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 12, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #10,516 of 28,989
FWIW I wouldn't bother with the HD800 either if you plan to only get a Vali or m-stage as it seems like there is little point.  If you don't mind a more forward sound just get the HD600.  The HD800 will always trade off graininess for detail with lower end gear.

The point of the HD800 + inexpensive combo is to get your foot in the door with excellent sound and the plan later to upgrade both DAC and amp. With a plan like that, you want to spend as little as possible while still getting acceptable sound, so M-Stage or Vali/ODAC gets you there for $220-320, and allows you to upgrade a piece at a time. You gain time to sample gear at meets and research, and also time to save up for those purchases.

The end goal isn't to have a mid-fi system like HD600 + BHC + UberFrost. (HD800 combos described above would crush that mid-fi system anyways, IMO)

May 12, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #10,517 of 28,989
  Is it possible to live with the O2/ODAC with the HD800? because i read in many posts here that it rivals much more expensive gear.
So basicaly my question is, is it possible to enjoy, say 90% of the HD800 sound with a budget rig or is it a waste of time and money? Thanks.

Edit: good info the replys, thanks, but it's still hard to decide because some yes, and others say no
o2smile.gif

Don't bother with the O2. Lacks punch and dynamics. Treble can get hot. The only positive thing I can say about it is that it has decent transparency in it's price range....but other than that it's not really worth it.

May 12, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #10,518 of 28,989
Definitely get the hd800's. I had them for a while with a cDAC and Vali. I later upgraded to a Bryston BHA-1 and use my E-MU0404 as a balanced source while waiting for my pulse X. As much as the Bryston was an upgrade, the Vali still sounded awe inspiring. Seriously it took me about 2 weeks to be able to listen to it without my jaw wide open lol.

The better amp squeezes out that last 10%.It does sound better. Bass is just crazy well defined and the treble is crisp and almost aggressive but not quite. if your not specifically looking for differences however, it's subtle. I'm either deaf or people enjoy talking a little too much to make up for the 1000$+ purchase a part of their brain still regrets.

Don't take me wrong. I don't think I will be getting rid of the Bryston and I'm actually still trying to make sense of why I don't want to get rid of it considering my opinion on the amp difference in SQ.

Tl:Dr get the hd800 it's amazing, even with the vali.

May 12, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #10,519 of 28,989

beerchug.gif
 90's guy here.  I'm a fan of the music style of the 90's, but don't find too many good recording besides the unplugged.  Smashing Pumpkins are pretty good rock recordings.  Actually, the Cure isn't bad recording wise, and love the music style. My music taste has drastically changed when I went HiFi(maybe it's the age
redface.gif
).  I didn't think would get into Jazz and classical and Eva Cassidy.  I think it's because I don't notice sound scaling up with high end gear with 90's and electronic music to my ears.  

Lol. Yupp.
beerchug.gif

It's pretty common for music tastes to change when you get into high-end gear I think. I've started listening ot Jazz and Blues and I've never done that before in my life, you know... "thelonious monk - live at the club" and simiar. Immensely enjoyable.

But I still also think Depeche Mode are absolutely world class. Playing the Angle, Exciter, Delta Machine, Sounds of the Universe... all those albums are all in the "art" category for me. Very little of it is "billboard material", a lot of it is pretty dark and depressing..... but it's also insanely good and the production values are sky high. And a high end rig definitey makes a difference. Those albums are amazing on my HD800.

I think you will probably like them then. 

Comfort is improved immensely.  I honestly think the new design could equal the comfort of the HD800. I can't quite say on the soundstage because it has been a while since I heard the HE500, but the FR of the 560 is very flat to my ears. 

It is more the lack of clarity that bugs me.  I find the 560 lacks realism and makes it hard to differentiate instruments when compared with the HD800.  This has always been my complaint with the HE500 as well.

I think to some extent the same critism can applied to the LCD-2/3/X as well? I find it harder to different instruments than on the HD800. Maybe an "ortho thing"?

But Hifiman is an interesting brand, I don't think they're quite there yet in terms of quality and tuning their sound. But they're improving fast! I wonder what they're going to make to replace the HE-6....

May 13, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #10,520 of 28,989

I had a demo of the HD800 today, with a variety of songs.
They were
Submotion Orchestra - Backchat
The Future Sound of London - Lifeform Ends
Howard Shore - Helms Deep
Russell Brower - New Tristam
Shpongle - Divine Moments of Truth
Massive Attack - Inertia Creeps
King Crimson - In The Court of the Crimson King
Pink Floyd - Money
Om - Haqq Al-Yaqin
Alice in Chains - Over Now (acoustic)

I wished I could have tried out more, as the HD800 lived up all the hype surrounding it for sure. I didn't try testing it with my metal, punk, EDM stuff at all as I didn't feel they'd replace what I've got now for those styles. Looks like the HD800 is going on the "in consideration to buy" list.

Like many always say, the soundstage and imaging were well beyond anything I had heard up until now, and the detail level was very very good. The treble never bothered me at all in any of the tracks, and I didn't find it lacking in bass at all. Yes the bass is not powerful like the TH600/900/DX1000/Sig DJ or Audeze, but its very well extended and didn't feel particularly weak to me at all - this coming from someone with mostly bass heavier headphones. I find the stock Alpha Dog to share some similarities in frequency response to the HD800 - mainly the treble, although without the same level of detail, stage or imaging.

+1. I agree with most of your observations. BTW I alternate between TH 900, HE-6 & HD 800 for Psy / Progressive Trance , I prefer the HD 800 for well recorded EDM. Just some constructive criticism : while writing a review / feedback on HD 800 it is more important to mention what amp & dac was used than what music was used IMHO (If all three (amp, dac, music) are mentioned then awesome)

May 13, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #10,521 of 28,989

beerchug.gif
 90's guy here.  I'm a fan of the music style of the 90's, but don't find too many good recording besides the unplugged.  Smashing Pumpkins are pretty good rock recordings.  Actually, the Cure isn't bad recording wise, and love the music style. My music taste has drastically changed when I went HiFi(maybe it's the age
redface.gif
).  I didn't think would get into Jazz and classical and Eva Cassidy.  I think it's because I don't notice sound scaling up with high end gear with 90's and electronic music to my ears.

Radiohead has EXCELLENT recordings-and sound absolutely ridiculous on the HD800s. Pearl Jam (Rearview) is not far behind either. Both seem to be mastered better than the Pumpkins (reissues aside), although I much prefer the SP over those two. Dire Straits recordings are all top notch as well, and are revelatory on the HD800s in a proper rig.

-Daniel

May 13, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #10,522 of 28,989
  Is it possible to live with the O2/ODAC with the HD800? because i read in many posts here that it rivals much more expensive gear.
So basicaly my question is, is it possible to enjoy, say 90% of the HD800 sound with a budget rig or is it a waste of time and money? Thanks.

Edit: good info the replys, thanks, but it's still hard to decide because some yes, and others say no
o2smile.gif

IMO The  budgeted amp that paired well is crack .
  Although mine, having caps changed & speedball installed,
  i still like stock power tube though i have the brown base GEC

May 13, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #10,524 of 28,989

Radiohead has EXCELLENT recordings-and sound absolutely ridiculous on the HD800s. Pearl Jam (Rearview) is not far behind either. Both seem to be mastered better than the Pumpkins (reissues aside), although I much prefer the SP over those two. Dire Straits recordings are all top notch as well, and are revelatory on the HD800s in a proper rig.

-Daniel

I have a Pearl Jam album and yes it does sound astounding with HD800s, guess I'll have to give Radiohead a shot. 

May 13, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #10,525 of 28,989
Just get the Best of Radiohead album-pretty much covers all the big ones-good if you're new to them. A particualar one that astounds with the HD800s technical prowess and soundstage is Street Spirit (Fade Out). Really though any RH song just simply gels w/ the Senns imo. Enjoy.

-Daniel

May 13, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #10,526 of 28,989
May 13, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #10,527 of 28,989

+1. I agree with most of your observations. BTW I alternate between TH 900, HE-6 & HD 800 for Psy / Progressive Trance , I prefer the HD 800 for well recorded EDM. Just some constructive criticism : while writing a review / feedback on HD 800 it is more important to mention what amp & dac was used than what music was used IMHO (If all three (amp, dac, music) are mentioned then awesome)

V200/V800 Combo was what used. It sounded acceptable to my ears even out of a "lowly" Audio GD 15.32.

May 13, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #10,528 of 28,989
I really wouldn't knock down the budget stuff with the HD800.  Just for giggles last night, I ran the FiiO X5 DAP line out into the Schiit Vali with the HD800 and was pleasantly surprised... dynamic, engaging and fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back