The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 24, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #9,481 of 28,989
I have been off and on with the slightly more involved 2.0 mod.  Your system, preferences and the music you listen to will determine how valuable it is to you.  I will say it is kind of finicky to perform the mod.  I have done some testing on slight changes in ring size and placement but haven't quite settled on anything.  I am back to stock right now to try to get a better perspective on the effects of the mod.

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #9,482 of 28,989
Best to experiment. For the 2.0 mods, I would try with and without the Creatology foam rings (I would leave the back piece in place.) Maybe try different thicknesses of rug liner or locate the rug liner in different places. Everyone is going to have different preferences. Some people like the rug liner because it checks the HD800's overly diffuse imaging. Other's don't like this effect. Some people use the larger rings for more bass, others don't like this.

Digital parametric EQ is another option. A -3db notch around 6kHz and maybe another -3db treble shelf can do wonders. Although if we spin vinyl, we may have to resort to the Anax mods. 

Mar 25, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #9,483 of 28,989

Stock tubes. Not sure if I am going to tube roll or sell the WA22. I find I am using my portable system almost exclusively now.

The combination with the WA22 is the best that I have heard HD 800 sound (also the T1 & TH 900, but the improvement was the most in the HD 800) I always had this nagging feeling that the HD 800 was capable of much more when I used to listen to them on my previous amps (please see my profile), it is not there anymore. I am sure further improvement may be possible with even better amps but I am content with the sound now. It has the right balance of Clarity / Details & Musicality for me. HD 800 were my fav cans before by a very slight margin (I used to swing between T1 & HD 800 depending on certain factors), but after WA22 the gap between T1 & HD 800 has widened by a significant margin. The tubes I am using are about half the cost of the amp (GEC 6AS7G + Philips GZ34 Metal base + TS BGRP 6F8G). But to get to this point  the amount that I have spent on trying various tubes was more than the cost of the amp, but no complaints, it was a fascinating journey. & the tubes that I have collected allow me to tailor the sound of the amp to suit each HP I have, as what works best for HD 800 does not work best for others.

Now that the tubes are sorted , have ordered Toxic Cables Silver Poison & Double Helix Molecule "Peptide Hybrid"  silver-copper cables (both balanced). Will see if it makes a difference. Don't know when this goddam tweaking itch will be satisfied
rolleyes.gif

Mar 25, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #9,484 of 28,989

The combination with the WA22 is the best that I have heard HD 800 sound (also the T1 & TH 900, but the improvement was the most in the HD 800) I always had this nagging feeling that the HD 800 was capable of much more when I used to listen to them on my previous amps (please see my profile), it is not there anymore. I am sure further improvement may be possible with even better amps but I am content with the sound now. It has the right balance of Clarity / Details & Musicality for me. HD 800 were my fav cans before by a very slight margin (I used to swing between T1 & HD 800 depending on certain factors), but after WA22 the gap between T1 & HD 800 has widened by a significant margin. The tubes I am using are about half the cost of the amp (GEC 6AS7G + Philips GZ34 Metal base + TS BGRP 6F8G). But to get to this point  the amount that I have spent on trying various tubes was more than the cost of the amp, but no complaints, it was a fascinating journey. & the tubes that I have collected allow me to tailor the sound of the amp to suit each HP I have, as what works best for HD 800 does not work best for others.

Now that the tubes are sorted , have ordered Toxic Cables Silver Poison & Double Helix Molecule "Peptide Hybrid"  silver-copper cables (both balanced). Will see if it makes a difference. Don't know when this goddam tweaking itch will be satisfied
rolleyes.gif

Mar 25, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #9,485 of 28,989
  Best to experiment. For the 2.0 mods, I would try with and without the Creatology foam rings (I would leave the back piece in place.) Maybe try different thicknesses of rug liner or locate the rug liner in different places. Everyone is going to have different preferences. Some people like the rug liner because it checks the HD800's overly diffuse imaging. Other's don't like this effect. Some people use the larger rings for more bass, others don't like this.

Digital parametric EQ is another option. A -3db notch around 6kHz and maybe another -3db treble shelf can do wonders. Although if we spin vinyl, we may have to resort to the Anax mods. 

Purrin,

Thanks for the EQ suggestions. What was the Q of the notch? Are you starting the -3dB HF shelf at the 6kHz point?  

I originally did the 2.0 mod with the Creatology foam and rug liner. Are you saying to experiment with just the foam to start? Previously, I mentioned my experience with the mod, but I just cant leave well enough alone.

Mar 25, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #9,486 of 28,989

rolleyes.gif

If you can change the order to be pure copper I would recommend that, I personally think it works better.

Mar 25, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #9,487 of 28,989

If you can change the order to be pure copper I would recommend that, I personally think it works better.

The reason I ordered Silver is that I have preferred Silver cables over Copper in my system, when I did a comparison earlier, gives better top end extension, I do not like overly warm sound. Guess I am Treble head  or the Treble on the WA22 is so good that I want more of it 
L3000.gif

Mar 25, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #9,488 of 28,989

I have heard or read all things negative or issues that people are complaining about the HD800 but "diffuse imaging" is a first :wink:).

If someone like Tyll here :
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparing-world-class-headphones-0
with top end test set up comes to the conclusion that the HD800 bests even the Stax SR-009 in terms of imaging, then "diffuse imaging" might have other reasons than the headphone. Maybe mixed up phase in a cable or somewhere else in the set up?

Mar 25, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #9,489 of 28,989

I have heard or read all things negative or issues that people are complaining about the HD800 but "diffuse imaging" is a first :wink:).

If someone like Tyll here :
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparing-world-class-headphones-0
with top end test set up comes to the conclusion that the HD800 bests even the Stax SR-009 in terms of imaging, then "diffuse imaging" might have other reasons than the headphone. Maybe mixed up phase in a cable or somewhere else in the set up?

It could be imagination of problems so one could play around with modding and further improve a problem which might not exist. 
wink.gif
We hear differently anyway so I guess we can again say that it's all subjective.  Certain issues such as ringing and frequency spike could certainly be measured somewhat objectively but when it comes to imaging, it's quite far out there.  But don't forget that Purrin has golden ears.

Mar 25, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #9,490 of 28,989
Regarding headphones and measurements

That is a complex notion and general info at best.
And overall something some must have to feel good about a purchase
Or mod. Now given sennheiser has far more methods
And equipment and overall understanding
How we hear to begin with.
Example.
LCD line of headphones they all show the same
Freq response curves. But they sound very different
And I do not need to be a golden ear or where bad
Flashy shirts for people to know it's me again
Telling me what sounds good.
I like all reviews even the ones I do not agree with.
But I want to be the judge as to what I like.

So in the end. Play and enjoy the game of modding
This is a hobby. But try not to spout facts as religious
Gospel

Al. 3/25. Hahahaha

Mar 25, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #9,491 of 28,989
Regarding headphones and measurements

That is a complex notion and general info at best.
And overall something some must have to feel good about a purchase
Or mod. Now given sennheiser has far more methods
And equipment and overall understanding

How we hear to begin with.
Example.
LCD line of headphones they all show the same
Freq response curves. But they sound very different
And I do not need to be a golden ear or where bad
Flashy shirts for people to know it's me again
Telling me what sounds good.
I like all reviews even the ones I do not agree with.
But I want to be the judge as to what I like.

So in the end. Play and enjoy the game of modding
This is a hobby. But try not to spout facts as religious
Gospel

Al. 3/25. Hahahaha

Well said there, Al. 
Even though I know well that it's just people's personal subjective opinion, it still cracks me up when people point out a "problem" with such authority. 

Mar 25, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #9,493 of 28,989

It could be imagination of problems so one could play around with modding and further improve a problem which might not exist. 
wink.gif
We hear differently anyway so I guess we can again say that it's all subjective.  Certain issues such as ringing and frequency spike could certainly be measured somewhat objectively but when it comes to imaging, it's quite far out there.  But don't forget that Purrin has golden ears.

As a newbie you learn everyday :wink:).

Mar 25, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #9,494 of 28,989
Imaging is definitely improved to me with the Anax mod 2.0.  I think part of the reason why it sounds like the mod closes in the soundstage is that the slightly diffuse imaging can give the illusion of being in a concert hall. Just because imaging is already a strength of the HD800 doesn't mean it can't be improved.  In my experience it is something about the metal mesh used in the cups that causes the diffuseness.  Take out the dust cover's and you will notice how diffuse the image sounds.  This isn't a slight on anyone, but if your system doesn't image well in the first place the improvement may not be that noticeable. One way isn't better or worse, some prefer the open sound with the more diffuse imaging and others would sacrifice a little bit of space to improve imaging.

To assume that Sennheiser knows best because they have more money and technology is kind of silly.  Look at how Jerg's HE500 mods have been implemented by Hifiman in the 560.  If you don't like the change in sound that is fine, but to justify it by saying Sennheiser knows best because it is their product doesn't make sense to me.

I tend to trust my own ears and not worry about what a manufacturer might have intended...especially one that is capable of producing the HD700

Mar 25, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #9,495 of 28,989
Hahahaha It amazes me how people think
Not that you disagree but the basis for the disagreement
Do you think that the research on your car tires did not matter either
As you know how the car should stop

Check out my advertar it's for you

Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back