The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Feb 12, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #8,101 of 28,989
Just to clarify, In my above post I just referred to HD 800 as a random example. I do not find them bright at all, a bit lean some times (depending on the amp and / or tube), but never bright.

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #8,103 of 28,989
Can you also put "age" on the X-axis 
biggrin.gif

Quote:

I have my own theory on all this:

Feb 12, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #8,104 of 28,989
Just got my HD800's in the mail.. One thing I can say right off is these things are SEXY!! and bigger than I thought.

Feb 12, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #8,105 of 28,989
Every thing is bigger with those headphones
Enjoy and ask questions and read
Al

Feb 12, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #8,106 of 28,989
Also @ALRAINBOW for me personally I never EQ anything because the fun of this hobby is getting gear and appreciating the sound of the particular gear you have just purchased. I don't think theres anything wrong with EQ, but I much rather do research here on head-fi and other related sites to see what users are liking with my phones and amps that I own. So basically for me it's the journey to find a better system than my current system and EQing for me take a lot of the fun out of this hobby.

Feb 12, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #8,107 of 28,989
I can see your point but at my age I just want to hear the music and enjoy it now
I have spent about 200k in Hifi over about five years and I am tired of all the complications
And the constant search for better. Is just overwhelming
So a short cut to EQ is fine by me. As long as you know the amp is neutral and I have enough amps to know and
A really good DAC in the front end to tell you of My changes down the path to your ears
Al

Feb 12, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #8,108 of 28,989
I can see your point but at my age I just want to hear the music and enjoy it now
I have spent about 200k in Hifi over about five years and I am tired of all the complications
And the constant search for better. Is just overwhelming
So a short cut to EQ is fine by me. As long as you know the amp is neutral and I have enough amps to know and
A really good DAC in the front end to tell you of My changes down the path to your ears
Al

I'm thankful that I like tweaking my equipment and figuring out what works, but that I also can flip a switch and just enjoy the music.

I'm not pointing at you but some guys seem to get stuck in this endless tweaking cycle and I can see very strong parallels to a special kind of car enthusiast.

Some car enthusiasts like to drive their cars, some like to maintain them and drive them, some like to modify them and then drive them.

But then you get a special breed of car enthusiast who will spend 2 years in his basement rebuilding or restoring his dream car. But once it's finished he'll drive it around the block for two laps before he puts it up for sale...

Maybe he has just as much fun as the guys driving their cars? I don't know, I'm not that kind of guy so I wouldn't know.

But if a little bit of EQ is all it takes for someone to enjoy the equipment they've got, instead of being frustrated with it. To me, and from my perspective, that's a 100% super-easy "just go for it" kind of deal.
biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #8,109 of 28,989
It's all about our mood at the time. I think we all have at least a few of us inside

Al

Feb 12, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #8,111 of 28,989
You know; I think we just need to respect each other. I just want to enjoy the music - sometimes. I get high on the sound - sometimes. My fascination for the sound has led me to different sorts - of music. And my love of music has taken me down different sorts of sound. I believe in cables, and bit-depth that I can't hear; and I don't mind that people who have studied it all on paper think that it's not true. I don't own the truth, and neither do they, but we all have the gifts of music and beauty, thanks to each other, and, on this forum, we share it across continents... and if this wasn't the HD800 Appreciation Thread, I would say that that is some Schiit. Thank you, dear friends.

Feb 12, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #8,112 of 28,989
  You know; I think we just need to respect each other. I just want to enjoy the music - sometimes. I get high on the sound - sometimes. My fascination for the sound has led me to different sorts - of music. And my love of music has taken me down different sorts of sound. I believe in cables, and bit-depth that I can't hear; and I don't mind that people who have studied it all on paper think that it's not true. I don't own the truth, and neither do they, but we all have the gifts of music and beauty, thanks to each other, and, on this forum, we share it across continents... and if this wasn't the HD800 Appreciation Thread, I would say that that is some Schiit. Thank you, dear friends.

nicely said

Feb 12, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #8,114 of 28,989
I agree Amictus, we all have a common bond Music. We are all individual self thinking humans, the beauty of this is, we will all have varying opinions of what sounds good and what does not based on our on perception of music and frame of reference from our own lives.This is what makes good conversation and learning possible!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back