Mar 27, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #1,366 of 29,017
Quote:

$2500?

''/

Yes 
wink_face.gif

Mar 27, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #1,371 of 29,017
Quote:
Well he said cost are higher than the mki. Guess the first run was discounted-kinda like EC/Craig does. If my Leviathan ever finalizes, I could see myself getting a mkii for an ss endgame amp/pre.

-Daniel

Being a long time "tube guy", I gotta say the GS-X is simply a worthy endgame amp....period. 
size]

Mar 27, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #1,373 of 29,017
Quote:
Few more impressions;

Everything I'm throwing at these sounds good! The amount of times I've read that they need good recordings to sound good.. So not true. They have a certain silky charm that renders even bad recordings listenable. I've never heard strings sound this good. The texture and realness with some of my fave orchestral pieces is incredible. I'm not left wanting anything, or wanting less of anything. A perfect balance? 

Getting back to that silky charm, its almost planar-esque. liquidy. Like smearing your naked body with butter and wrestling your partner (who is also coated in butter) to the floor in a display of forcefulness  that encapsulates an expression of need. This, without any fear of friction burns. 

The bass is warm, lovely and warm. Like the heat radiating from your flesh after hours of lovemaking on a summers night. 

Nothing is messing with the middle frequencies. Instruments are there, where they should be. There is air. Each timbre laid bare. Naked and free, like young lovers running through cotton fields.. Never straying to far away from each other. Occasionally meeting when the need overwhelms them. But this is natural, nothing is forced. 

The treble seems very well extended. Not too much. Extended enough. Almost like a lovers tongue as it  explores... Exploring a landscape of flesh, picking up all tastes and textures as it searches. Searching for what? Everything that is in its path. It all tastes good.

*Cough*

size]

Make sure to clean them after each, um, use.

Mar 28, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #1,377 of 29,017
Congrats LugBug1! You're preaching to the choir here but it's always entertaining to read someone's initial impressions.

How does the crow taste btw? You and paradoxper should share recipes. 
wink.gif

Mar 28, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #1,378 of 29,017
Quote:
Congrats LugBug1! You're preaching to the choir here but it's always entertaining to read someone's initial impressions.

How does the crow taste btw? You and paradoxper should share recipes. 
wink.gif

Haha, not that hard to swallow... Once its coated in butter!

size]

Mar 28, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #1,379 of 29,017
I've had the HD800 for close to three months now & despite using them on a daily basis, it still takes me about half an hour of continuous use to fully adjust to its 'sound.'  I typically listen in the evenings (after I'm worn silly from hours of playing basketball, followed by weightlifting).. so I'm mentally & physically ready to unwind (and I'm not adjusting from the signature of another headphone).  Though after a half hour or so, I'm so immersed in their sound that you'd have to knock me out to pry them off my head.

Mar 28, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #1,380 of 29,017
Quote:
I think loudness compression is partly justified for cars:
- you can't hear quietest parts, when there is noise outside
- the driver can't play endlessly with the volume knob while driving
- off course it's easier for radio, to match a single volume level, when everything is loudness compressed.

One purpose of loudness compression, (beside of making everything louder) is to make quieter part easier to listen.
A good analogy of loudness compression for photo, is HDR photography :
when the effect is exaggerated you see clearly local details, but the gobal contrast is killed, and the pic look fake.
Your analogy with "high def tv", corresponds more to "lossy compression", which is different to "loudness" one

Yes, that's my bad.  I switched gears without clearly defining either type.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back