The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 27, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #1,336 of 29,017
Quote:
Don't worry Currawong, there'll be no more Tom foolery, buffoonery or downright silliness now that I'm here!  
size]

Mine came today! s/n 212XX 

I'll post some impressions when I've let them run in a little. 

Time to let the K701s go...  They really can't compete with these..

Mar 27, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #1,337 of 29,017
Quote:
...waiting for Sennheiser HD-1600 with resolved treble issue (no Anax mod or anything like that!) and no need for expensive specifically matched amp....and this is at half price of HD-800...ok, at the price of HD-800 (they can't go on raising prices endlessly with new flagships).
Just dreaming:))

I'd like to think that my HD800 rig isn't really outrageous. My dac and amp are both fairly reasonable in terms of cost and I really like my HD800 stock. As far as matched amps that goes for just about every flagship.

Mar 27, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #1,338 of 29,017
Quote:
I'd like to think that my HD800 rig isn't really outrageous. My dac and amp are both fairly reasonable in terms of cost and I really like my HD800 stock. As far as matched amps that goes for just about every flagship.

As far as I read HD800 is much more finicky about amp selection than many other flagships (e.g. LCD-2 is not that demanding).
Still it's good to hear that HD800 can sound great with reasonably priced equipment.
Still I wish something like HD1600 come to the market one day!

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #1,340 of 29,017
My HD800 setup has the Mjolnir as the amp and my Yulong D18 as the dac. The HE6 sounds quite a bit different than the HD800. If one was to say the HD800 and LCD2/3 are on different sides of the spectrum the HE6 would be in the middle.

If someone had the amping requirements the HE6 is the safer choice since I could see more people like them than the HD800. I find that the HE6 is a bit more smooth sounding with a more engaging midrange and a surprisingly powerful bass.

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #1,341 of 29,017
Quote:

Time to let the K701s go...  They really can't compete with these..

you're right.. but how do I tell them..
size]

Its like someone has cleaned the windows, "I can see clearly now" 

Very early impressions:
Yup, great soundstage, but not as big as I had imagined? It's a lot more accurate. I thought it would have overly stretched some more intimate music, but it doesn't. I'm pleased about this because this is better for jazz etc. It's the depth that is fantastic, holographic indeed. 

FR is very well balanced from top to bottom, good bass extension and detail. Treble also has great extension and reminds me of the HE500, very smooth but highly detailed. I get the impression that I'm not missng any information from the recording.

Wonderful with classical, but I was expecting this. What I am surprised with, is how good these are with electronic music. I had a preconceived idea that they would be too thin sounding. But I'm getting nice thuds and plicks, feeling a lot of the music as opposed to just hearing it. Must be that air-flow business they talk about..  

Getting back to classical, the timbre and space around instruments from the Tokyo Quartet playing Bhoven.. Eerily real. 

So just after a couple of hours... They are like an HE500 with an AKG soundstage. But with a resolution that I'm new to so can't compare it. I'm happy!  

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #1,342 of 29,017
Quote:
you're right.. but how do I tell them..
size]

Its like someone has cleaned the windows, "I can see clearly now" 

Very early impressions:
Yup, great soundstage, but not as big as I had imagined? It's a lot more accurate. I thought it would have overly stretched some more intimate music, but it doesn't. I'm pleased about this because this is better for jazz etc. It's the depth that is fantastic, holographic indeed. 

FR is very well balanced from top to bottom, good bass extension and detail. Treble also has great extension and reminds me of the HE500, very smooth but highly detailed. I get the impression that I'm not missng any information from the recording.

Wonderful with classical, but I was expecting this. What I am surprised with, is how good these are with electronic music. I had a preconceived idea that they would be too thin sounding. But I'm getting nice thuds and plicks, feeling a lot of the music as opposed to just hearing it. Must be that air-flow business they talk about..  

Getting back to classical, the timbre and space around instruments from the Tokyo Quartet playing Bhoven.. Eerily real. 

So just after a couple of hours... They are like an HE500 with an AKG soundstage. But with a resolution that I'm new to so can't compare it. I'm happy!  

I told ya! LCD-2 were ready to left my home immediately I put HD800 on my head (due to financial reasons mainly but still)...

So what's your take on HD800 vs HE-500?

Btw, StageDAC (w/ crossfeed on) does GREAT job in perfecting the HD800's soundstage - it's like combining advantages of both speakers and headphones together. Of course, nothing is completely perfect but this is my endgame rig for sure.

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #1,343 of 29,017
Quote:

I told ya! LCD-2 were ready to left my home immediately I put HD800 on my head (due to financial reasons mainly but still)...

So what's your take on HD800 vs HE-500?

Btw, StageDAC (w/ crossfeed on) does GREAT job in perfecting the HD800's soundstage - it's like combining advantages of both speakers and headphones together. Of course, nothing is completely perfect but this is my endgame rig for sure.

Based on memory, as I haven't had the HE500's for a few months now. The treble is similar to the hifimans with velour pads but I think there is a slight peak right at the very top that is more prominent on the HD800, this uncovers more detail and little ambient noises are emphasized more. The bass isn't as strong as the HE500's but I'd say it's better quality. Tighter and more balanced. The HE500's do have a slight mid-bass hump that is nice for EDM but can cause a little congestion in the mids. The HD800's has more sub-bass emphasis and you get more of a thrill when the cello's kick in. 

The soundstage and imaging is quite a lot better on the Senn's, the music is free without restrictions. The HE500's as I've already stated do have a bit congestion in the mids, this is nice for certain genres but not ideal for larger works where the music needs to breath more. The planars also have a more classic stereo image where as the HD800's project the image more in front of you.  

The HE500's have nicer treble as a whole, its just that bit more sweet. But this all depends on personal preference. If all I listened to was classical then the HD800's treble would be more suitable as it does uncover everything. Both are very smooth and grain-free.  

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #1,344 of 29,017
If someone had the amping requirements the HE6 is the safer choice since I could see more people like them than the HD800. I find that the HE6 is a bit more smooth sounding with a more engaging midrange and a surprisingly powerful bass.

With the exception of bass response, this was the exact opposite of what I have found. HE6 sounds comparatively sibilant on top, has a less prominent (exciting) midrange than HD800, and is definitely less popular at the meets.

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #1,345 of 29,017
Quote:
My HD800 setup has the Mjolnir as the amp and my Yulong D18 as the dac. The HE6 sounds quite a bit different than the HD800. If one was to say the HD800 and LCD2/3 are on different sides of the spectrum the HE6 would be in the middle.

I agree with you here.

Quote:
With the exception of bass response, this was the exact opposite of what I have found. HE6 sounds comparatively sibilant on top, has a less prominent (exciting) midrange than HD800, and is definitely less popular at the meets.

Each meet I've been to the HE-6 took Best in Show.  While the HD800 hardly got any head time.  This has been the case at three meets thus far.  The next meet in May there will be 3 First Watts speaker amps there.  "Just for the HE-6"  Seems like it going to be another HE-6 show case.

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #1,346 of 29,017
HD800, LCD-3, and the Stax rigs pretty much dominated the Austin meet. I always try the HE6 when I see it, hoping a different amp/source combo will eventually deliver the sonic benefits described above. No luck yet... but maybe someday.

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #1,347 of 29,017
Quote:
HD800, LCD-3, and the Stax rigs pretty much dominated the Austin meet. I always try the HE6 when I see it, hoping a different amp/source combo will eventually deliver the sonic benefits described above. No luck yet... but maybe someday.

Oh yeah - my bad.  Stax rigs always either have some one hoggin the rig or it's a line.  Yup - your right about that..

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #1,348 of 29,017
I have heard the HD800 sharper at times and smoother at times than the HE-6. It depends on the other gear, IME. For instance, HD800 with Phonitor has a smoother (i.e. more velvety) presentation, while the HE-6 on F3 is really crisp and presents a very well defined and crisp image with great extension into treble as well as bass.

Mar 27, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #1,349 of 29,017
Thanks for sharing your impressions of the HD800 vs. HE-6, I hope there is another bay area meet in the near future, now that I have a powerful enough amp I'd love to hear the difference myself.

A while back someone in this thread suggested running the HD800s off speaker taps, would the HiFiMan speaker tap/xlr kit be the best way to do this or run a straight cable to tap connection with resistors? If say I wanted to plug into a 12wpc@6Ω amp what resistors would I want to use?

Mar 27, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #1,350 of 29,017
Quote:
Thanks for sharing your impressions of the HD800 vs. HE-6, I hope there is another bay area meet in the near future, now that I have a powerful enough amp I'd love to hear the difference myself.

A while back someone in this thread suggested running the HD800s off speaker taps, would the HiFiMan speaker tap/xlr kit be the best way to do this or run a straight cable to tap connection with resistors? If say I wanted to plug into a 12wpc@6Ω amp what resistors would I want to use?

I run my HD800 of my F3 (15WPC) speaker amp -- directly off speaker taps -- sometimes. I am not sure how well the HE resistor box would work with HD800. I am pretty sure it would degrade the sound though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back