The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Aug 9, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #12,813 of 29,017
That's true, it's definitely the best headphone setup I will have heard. My speakers image fairly well, but the HD800 should beat them (obviously speakers and headphones have vastly different soundstage though). If I had a chance to use my speakers more often though, a pair of Totem Rainmaker might give the HD800 a run for it's money... my Emotiva is certainly better than my O2 :p.

Dude, If you want speakers giving you some of the details you get from HD800 you should avoid passive speakers.
Only good active speakers can compeer with headphones, even though it's not quite fair comparing them.
And the best part is a good active speakers is often a lot cheaper than those old crap passive speakers the hifi industry try to trick you to buy.

Aug 9, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #12,814 of 29,017

Consequently I wonder whether an alternate flagship headphone might suit me better. I hope that (with the background of my personal preferences and personal experience of the HD800) I find the Audeze sound signature 'good enough' for me to let go of the Senn's technical perfection!

yan

Seems like your situation is similar to this guy - http://www.marco.org/2014/07/12/ridiculous-headphones-pile-of-schiit - you might get some value out of reading his opinion. He opted for the TH900 instead of the LCDs.

@marcoarment is here on the forums. He makes a good point I reckon, but I do wish he had listed the music he likes, as I reckon that makes the most difference when choosing headphones.

A lot of impressions of the HD-800s with different gear not only comes down to the music, but what one is used to and has experienced.

Best value so far though has been the HD-800s from the Geek Out and from the Valhalla 2.

Aug 9, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #12,815 of 29,017

@marcoarment is here on the forums. He makes a good point I reckon, but I do wish he had listed the music he likes, as I reckon that makes the most difference when choosing headphones.

A lot of impressions of the HD-800s with different gear not only comes down to the music, but what one is used to and has experienced.

Best value so far though has been the HD-800s from the Geek Out and from the Valhalla 2.

You don't include the Vali under "best value" category? Seems to be everyones favorite budget choice. I owned the Vali once but not since I've owned the hd800. Just curious. 

Aug 9, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #12,816 of 29,017

You don't include the Vali under "best value" category? Seems to be everyones favorite budget choice. I owned the Vali once but not since I've owned the hd800. Just curious. 

I've never had one here! The Valhalla 2 is the first Schiit product (ahem!) I've had in my possession, ever.

Aug 9, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #12,817 of 29,017
Wow...
blink.gif
  I need to hook you up with this guy I know named Jason. 
wink.gif

Aug 9, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #12,818 of 29,017
Dude, If you want speakers giving you some of the details you get from HD800 you should avoid passive speakers.
Only good active speakers can compeer with headphones, even though it's not quite fair comparing them.
And the best part is a good active speakers is often a lot cheaper than those old crap passive speakers the hifi industry try to trick you to buy.
Honestly if I could go back, I probably would've just bought some really expensive, awesome active speakers. I don't upgrade speakers much so it wouldn't have made a difference. I prefer the number of options of brands for speakers with a passive setup though, and Emotiva amps are cheap... they make good headphone amps look expensive :p. I've heard the Totem Rainmaker and while the detail isn't on par with the HD800, it's not far and I would say the imaging/soundstage and timbre are. I love those speakers, but since I can't listen to speakers all the time the best choice was the HD800 :D.

I've heard some awesome passive speakers to be honest, Paradigm, Monitor Audio, Totem, etc. Quad and Epos are supposed to be good too, up there with Totem. I'm a lot more picky with speakers than headphones though, maybe that's why I like passive speakers... I don't settle with the mass marketed speakers that most sites/magazines push like Polk, Klipsch, JBL, etc.

Aug 9, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #12,819 of 29,017
Nice review and comparison.  Pretty much spot on based my my previous experience.  The only reason I went to the HD800 is that I got a kick-butt deal on them (dealer cost through a friend).  I could truly have stopped at the HD700 and Bifrost/Lyr combo and saved myself thousands in upgrades trying to find a suitable HD800 system. Not regretting moving to the HD800 at all.  In fact, it's the longest I've owned a pair of HP's and they're here to stay.

Quote:
  Off the V200 and M-DAC, here is my opinion on the HD800 vs the HD700. 

Aug 9, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #12,820 of 29,017
I had the hd 700 for one week. There just wasn't much of anything I liked about them. The lyr didn't make them any better...maybe worse. I guess that we all hear things differently. 

Aug 9, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #12,822 of 29,017
If I wanted a solid state amp and USB DAC for the HD800 for $500-$700 CDN what would you guys suggest? It can be a single component or two, it doesn't make a difference to me. I'd appreciate any input :D.

I would suggest Questyle CMA800R as the ultimate amplifier, but is a little more than 700$
I have used one with hd800 and It was a killer combo.

Aug 9, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #12,825 of 29,017
Todd, I would have stayed alway from the 800 if the budget was one of your concerns. You're just going to run into people recommending expensive amps and dacs constantly.  It's an ego contest on this thread, there is a pattern you will obviously notice here.  I would have suggested HE-6 with used speaker amp for a high quality on the cheap, but good luck on the your 800 ventures as it turned out 800 wan't my cup of tea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back