The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jun 9, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #11,237 of 28,992
He
Do you have any audio track samples? Any EQ? I've never heard any bass distortion with my TH-900s after having owned them for more than a year.

Hi. When I went to buy my Sennheisers I tested 3 different headphones and the AH1000 Denons were one of them. Sorry not the 900's but the equipment that the store had was with a Yamaha receiver with a type A USB I-Pod connector, so I could directly connect my portable device to the receiver then test the cans. All of my files on my I-pod are in 24/192. I'm not sure about the Yamaha receivers DAC quality for I cannot for the life of me remember the receivers model #. Sorry about that, but upon testing the 3 CANS, the Grado Ps 1000's, Denon AH1000's and HD 800's the Sens walked away with a very easy victory, especially music played at high volumes with that set up. I realize with a quality DAC and SS amp those 900's probably sing a lot better at high volumes. Nonetheless they cracked and popped at a high volume level where as the Sens did not and still kept their dynamics integrity. The ps 1000's I found were even more treble heavy than the Sens which affected my decision to go with the Sens. Lastly. I used as I always do a "flat' eq setting on the I pod. :wink:

Jun 10, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #11,238 of 28,992
When I got these cans, I was a tad bit worried about how they would do with rock..no worries....AC/DC sounds incredible with these cans
smile_phones.gif

Jun 10, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #11,239 of 28,992
  When I got these cans, I was a tad bit worried about how they would do with rock..no worries....AC/DC sounds incredible with these cans
smile_phones.gif

Try Norah Jones / Diana Krall 
smile_phones.gif

Jun 10, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #11,240 of 28,992
Try Alice In Chains/MTV Unplugged :)

Jun 10, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #11,241 of 28,992
smile_phones.gif

early AC/DC  ( Highway to Hell, For those about to rock , ...) haven't been problematic in my experience. If I'm not wrong , we're talking about analog recordings so with not badly remastered CD , these album should sound fine. I'm not so confident about more recent production. 

The point is even if some rock sounds good through a HD800, I'm convinced there's better option for Rock fans. On the contrary, It's hard to beat a HD800 for classical or contemporary Jazz (Still IMO)

That been said, if you can enjoy every music you listen to with your HD800 , it's a good sign that your current system is good for the Sennheiser flagship. Enjoy !
beerchug.gif

Jun 10, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #11,242 of 28,992
Try DREAM THEATER's entire TRAIN OF THE THOUGHT album. Holy crap. :wink:

Jun 10, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #11,243 of 28,992
When I got these cans, I was a tad bit worried about how they would do with rock..no worries....AC/DC sounds incredible with these cans :smile_phones:

Every genre of music is a winner with the HD's. the 800's are even great with electronic music. Try listening to Depeche Mode's Violator in DTS 24/96k. It'll change your life. Lol.

Jun 10, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #11,246 of 28,992
IME, regardless of the genre of music, if its a good recording it will sound good with the HD800. Transparency is the key here - nothing added, nothing taken away. It just so happens that Classical, modern Jazz, Acoustic music is generally much better produced. Or produced with good hi-fi in mind. 

But great Rock and Electronic recordings will sound fab too, theres no reason why they shouldn't? Unless you prefer extra colour added into the mix. I love a bit of good Ambient music with the HD800 myself.. (on top of my classical and jazz that is :wink: 

Jun 10, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #11,247 of 28,992
  Soz for reposting this guys but I'm catching up. 

This is sooooo effin COOL!! Al and Miles!

Miles looks like he's taking a leak and Al as stopped him for a photo ha 

Classic.  
beerchug.gif

lol

Jun 10, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #11,250 of 28,992
One suggestion, do yourself a favor get a new cable such as the moon audio black dragon. It defiantly opens up the low end of the HD800s, no question about it. I can't believe I used the stock cable for this long. In most cases for HP, cable really makes no difference, but the HD800s are the exception.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back