Jun 10, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #11,251 of 28,992

Try Norah Jones / Diana Krall 
smile_phones.gif

Thanks...will give a listen

Try Alice In Chains/MTV Unplugged
smily_headphones1.gif

will give this a listen also, even though I am not much a fan 
smile.gif

IME, regardless of the genre of music, if its a good recording it will sound good with the HD800. Transparency is the key here - nothing added, nothing taken away. It just so happens that Classical, modern Jazz, Acoustic music is generally much better produced. Or produced with good hi-fi in mind. 

But great Rock and Electronic recordings will sound fab too, theres no reason why they shouldn't? Unless you prefer extra colour added into the mix. I love a bit of good Ambient music with the HD800 myself.. (on top of my classical and jazz that is :wink: 

Absolutely.

I have been working my way through my whole freakin library....which contains tons of rock and blues......I have been loving everything , as long as it has been a good recording.

I have never really been a fan of a big sound stage...but this is just the shiz.....just incredible.

Jun 10, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #11,252 of 28,992
Talking about cables, I'm always wondering how no one ever talks about the cables wired inside DACs and amps. It's always the headphone cable at the very end that ends up making the differences. It's as if all the DAC and amp manufacturers use perfect internal wires and the headphone companies always make terrible headphone cables.

I've owned upgraded and custom cables for aesthetics, flexibility, weight and supposedly better performance - so it's not like I haven't tried that. People talk about cables and differences for sure in other forums, but with respect to headphones and head-fi, it's completely on a different level. Just making an observation.

Jun 10, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #11,253 of 28,992
  Talking about cables, I'm always wondering how no one ever talks about the cables wired inside DACs and amps. It's always the headphone cable at the very end that ends up making the differences. It's as if all the DAC and amp manufacturers use perfect internal wires and the headphone companies always make terrible headphone cables.

I've owned upgraded and custom cables for aesthetics, flexibility, weight and supposedly better performance - so it's not like I haven't tried that. People talk about cables and differences for sure in other forums, but with respect to headphones and head-fi, it's completely on a different level. Just making an observation.

popcorn.gif

Me personally....unless I need a different length or have trouble with microphonics.....I'm all good......but to each their own 
biggrin.gif

Jun 10, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #11,254 of 28,992
I should have 4x24awg cardas bulk cable (4ft = $75~) coming soon and I will be comparing against mogami cables.

Diff is about $17 per feet or if you buy from moonaudio you are looking at about $150 surplus.

And don't forget, no one actually talked about the connectors and type of solder used.

Honestly I don't think my ears can tell between ofc and occ cables given the same grade.

I think its all in your brain thinking $$$ cables sound good. Will report back soon after my experiment. :)

Jun 10, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #11,255 of 28,992
I should have 4x24awg cardas bulk cable (4ft = $75~) coming soon and I will be comparing against mogami cables.

Diff is about $17 per feet or if you buy from moonaudio you are looking at about $150 surplus.

And don't forget, no one actually talked about the connectors and type of solder used.

Honestly I don't think my ears can tell between ofc and occ cables given the same grade.

I think its all in your brain thinking $$$ cables sound good. Will report back soon after my experiment.
smily_headphones1.gif

Report back on it. I personally use Mogami for wiring.

Jun 10, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #11,256 of 28,992

popcorn.gif

Me personally....unless I need a different length or have trouble with microphonics.....I'm all good......but to each their own 
biggrin.gif

Yeah, exactly. Audeze, Hifiman and Senn all have 8+ stock cables.

Jun 10, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #11,257 of 28,992
Has anyone tried the newly remastered Led Zeppelin albums with HD800?

Jun 10, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #11,258 of 28,992
  Has anyone tried the newly remastered Led Zeppelin albums with HD800?

I haven't tried them with my HD800's yet, but I'm somewhat disappointed with what I hear so far (from HDTracks, 24/96).  The first album was done well - I'm happy with that one.  But I'm not at all happy with II.  Sounds like a step back from what I recall from CD.  I haven't had a chance to listen to III yet.

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #11,260 of 28,992

Are you talking about the box set Jimmy Page remastered a while back or the ones that just appeared on HDTracks? I have the boxed set and don't really feel that an HD download is going to improve on it very much.

The ones that have just appeared on HDTracks (and Amazon actually).

Jun 11, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #11,261 of 28,992
Anybody know if the serial number of the HD800's are any indication of when they were manufactured? If it starts with a 2 does that mean it is older than one that starts with a 3 for example.

Jun 11, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #11,262 of 28,992
Anybody know if the serial number of the HD800's are any indication of when they were manufactured? If it starts with a 2 does that mean it is older than one that starts with a 3 for example.

They are numbered in order of when they come off the production line. The very first production hd800 is #1 and the latest are #30,000 + . Mine is 17,0** and is about 2 years old.

Jun 11, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #11,263 of 28,992
If they use continuous assignment of serial number, then a lower number would be older, common sense isn't it
wink.gif
?

But to the first part of your question :
Unless there is a list of serial number ranges related to years of purchase, only Sennheiser would be able to give you that reference. You can find something like that (production dates/serial number cross reference) e.g. for Leica film camera bodies. I have never seen it for audio equipment though.

Mine has #26xxx and I bought it 6 month ago.

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #11,264 of 28,992
  If they use continuous assignment of serial number, then a lower number would be older, common sense isn't it
wink.gif
?

But to the first part of your question :
Unless there is a list of serial number ranges related to years of purchase, only Sennheiser would be able to give you that reference. You can find something like that (production dates/serial number cross reference) e.g. for Leica film camera bodies. I have never seen it for audio equipment though.

Mine has #26xxx and I bought it 6 month ago.

That makes sense, of course you don't know how long they have been sitting in a warehouse someplace or on a dealers shelve. Mine is 28 and it is almost new but I got it as a new return so I know it has been around a while before I got it.

Jun 11, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #11,265 of 28,992
They are numbered in order of when they come off the production line. The very first production hd800 is #1 and the latest are #30,000 + . Mine is 17,0** and is about 2 years old.

Thanks for this.....mine is 19XXX....so now I know how old....thanks again 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back