The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 14, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #9,166 of 29,017
I'd still try the BHA-1. I haven't heard the Senn or Auralic, but I liked the BHA-1 when I had it. GS-X was just too good, though.

I should get the chance to hear the GS-X at the Charlotte meet next month since HeadAmp is a vendor there. Will be curious to see how it compares to my Questyle with my HD800. Someone in the other thread said they like the Questyle over the GS-X. Honestly that wouldn't surprise me since they built the CMA800R with one purpose in mind, to sound amazing with the HD800. Then again, I think that was the same purpose Sennheiser had for the HDVA600/HDVD800, and it's reception has been lukewarm.

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #9,167 of 29,017
I don't think you should limit yourself to what is available in Canada.  There are no extra charges besides shipping and exchange rate if you import from the US.  You are going to have to pay sales taxes regardless of whether you buy in Canada or buy from the US (unless you are doing under the table deals).  If you like the Vali, the BHA-1 or Senn HVDVD 6000 isn't what I would recommend.

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #9,168 of 29,017
You guys are killing me..
biggrin.gif
.. 10% US exchange + taxes + shipping + duties.  Yup, I've been nailed on duties for the US but it's hit and miss.  It cost me over $180 for the Vali 
blink.gif
 before the Canadian dollar went south, never mind big ticket items.  Anyway, the Senn/Bryston (go Canada!) would really have to smoke the Naim for me to purchase. If they don't work out, then I can save a little longer and try the Questyle (read up on it, thanks Sonido).. also on the list is the DNA Sonnett 2. 
I liked Jude's and Tone Audio's review on the HDVD800 so it's definitely on my audition list. From Jude's review:
The production Sennheiser HDVD 800 I have here elevates the performance of the HD 800, and inspired me to take the photo accompanying this piece. The results are a sort of combination of the sweetness of some OTL (output transformerless) tube amps I've tried with the HD 800, and the electrostatic-like microscopy the HD 800 is capable of, but without any hint of edginess as a penalty for the detail. It's certainly not the only great companion for the HD 800, but it is a great companion for the HD 800.

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #9,170 of 29,017

I should get the chance to hear the GS-X at the Charlotte meet next month since HeadAmp is a vendor there. Will be curious to see how it compares to my Questyle with my HD800. Someone in the other thread said they like the Questyle over the GS-X. Honestly that wouldn't surprise me since they built the CMA800R with one purpose in mind, to sound amazing with the HD800. Then again, I think that was the same purpose Sennheiser had for the HDVA600/HDVD800, and it's reception has been lukewarm.

Throw the mjolnir/bryston into the mix as well if you can find them.

The problem I guess is listening to them throw the same source and recording.

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #9,171 of 29,017
I did read in a post somewhere that the Questyles are built around the HD800s. Does this solve the treble issue (i.e. no need for Anax's mod?)

I'll soon find out. The amp was directly named after the HD800, so I'm being optimistic about its synergy

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Mar 15, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #9,173 of 29,017

I believe so though I'm never tried Anax mod. The Questyle makes the HD800 very smooth.

Sonido, have you heard the HDVA600 / HDVD800 before? If so, how do you think they compare against the Questyle in driving HD800?

Mar 15, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #9,174 of 29,017

Sonido, have you heard the HDVA600 / HDVD800 before? If so, how do you think they compare against the Questyle in driving HD800?

Have not I'm afraid. Really the only amp everyone seems to have heard on here that I can give a comparison to is the Vali, which sounds jagged and rough in comparison to the Questyle. Hopefully, after the meet I'll have more reference points.

Mar 15, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #9,175 of 29,017
After 2 months of ownership the hd800 have really hit all the right buttons with me just sounding right, smooth and transparent with the resolution I always wanted.
IME they don't sound bright, hard or sibilant whatsoever.   Im definitely done buying headphones (unless winning the lottery is in my future).

even on a mjolnir/gungnir (usb gen 2) where schiit stack is suppose to be close to end game I prefer hd800 over the lcd2.2 by a good margin. 
I've been comparing all evening.  I do a good amount of listening to Jazz/classical but this evening listening to a lot of 80's pop like Depeche Mode, Michael Jackson, Lionel Ritchie and the Police and I still prefer the hd800.  my lcd2.2 which I loved just sound muffled, distant and dull in comparison to me now.

I think I'll be parting with the lcd2.2, he500 and hd650 which I always thought I'd hang on to but they just don't get any use at all.  I think I'll put it towards a Ragnarok when it comes out.  I need a speaker amp as my integrated died, this will kill 2 birds with one stone. 

Mar 15, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #9,178 of 29,017
Get the Questyle if you plan to go all in for the HD800. It's not that great for the other headphones I've tried so far, and sentiments are similar for other owners. I've not heard the other high end amps yet, but to me the HD800 + Questyle is a good 30% better than HD800 + Vali, which is quite significant in at this point in diminishing marginal returns. Other owners of the Questyle have pretty much all said it's better than other amps they've used in the past with the HD800. Of course their opinions, and the recurring theme has been adding the qualifier of when using with the HD800. I find it to be a great option that doesn't completely break the bank, but get close to the best sound out of the HD800 for a fraction of comparable sounding amps, with the caveat that it's not going to give that level of sound to other headphones. I guess that's pretty much expected when the design principle was to revolve everything around the HD800.

With the feedback I have read from you and others, there's no doubt the CMA800R is way up there on the list of amps to consider. I just can't ignore all of that positive feedback about the Taurus MkII either.

Mar 15, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #9,179 of 29,017
  After 2 months of ownership the hd800 have really hit all the right buttons with me just sounding right, smooth and transparent with the resolution I always wanted.
IME they don't sound bright, hard or sibilant whatsoever.   Im definitely done buying headphones (unless winning the lottery is in my future).

even on a mjolnir/gungnir (usb gen 2) where schiit stack is suppose to be close to end game I prefer hd800 over the lcd2.2 by a good margin. 
I've been comparing all evening.  I do a good amount of listening to Jazz/classical but this evening listening to a lot of 80's pop like Depeche Mode, Michael Jackson, Lionel Ritchie and the Police and I still prefer the hd800.  my lcd2.2 which I loved just sound muffled, distant and dull in comparison to me now.

I think I'll be parting with the lcd2.2, he500 and hd650 which I always thought I'd hang on to but they just don't get any use at all.  I think I'll put it towards a Ragnarok when it comes out.  I need a speaker amp as my integrated died, this will kill 2 birds with one stone. 

Great stuff :) Yeah I parted with the same headphones when I got my HD800. One thing I would say however, although the HD800 is far superior than all three of those, over time and once you get over the new toy syndrome it can be nice to have an alternative sound to compliment the HD800's. Especially if like me you have some older favourite Jazz or classical recordings that aren't the best quality. The Audeze and 650's are great for cushioning older harsh recordings for e.g. 

Mar 15, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #9,180 of 29,017
No offence to the Vali, even though it's a great $ value, it will probably sound rough next to most amps that pair well with the HD800.  It really does sound rough next to the Naim and I would probably consider the Naim middle of the road for the HD800.  From memory, I think it sounded rough compared to the WA7.

Quote:
  Have not I'm afraid. Really the only amp everyone seems to have heard on here that I can give a comparison to is the Vali, which sounds jagged and rough in comparison to the Questyle. Hopefully, after the meet I'll have more reference points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back