The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Dec 30, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #7,081 of 29,017
  What was it that you built? I am starting building this year as well. I'm thinking of starting with the RJM Audio Sapphire and moving on to other things from there.  

I mentioned "The Wire BAL-BAL" earlier. I can also build one for anybody interested, with many different options.

B,

Ever thought about building a super symmetry Dynahi?

Yeah I have thought about it some time ago, but I can't remember if some parts were unobtanium or not...

this one of the horns you're talking about? 

Hah! Now that is a big horn :) Does that thing play down to 3hz or something? lol!

Dec 31, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #7,082 of 29,017
  Just welcome my HD800 home today.  It will be long nights for a few days...  I'll re-terminate the cable in 4 pin XLR when the plug comes in.

Looking good, congrats! 

Dec 31, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #7,083 of 29,017
  Yeah, I had some stuff to re-order (first-time build woes) but it got it straightened out. My primaries will be the HE-6, and HE-500 as secondary. I am not sure if I will get another headphone in the near future because I am quite pleased with what I have already. Plus, a lot of listening now is with my horns....dat magic midrange! 
tongue_smile.gif
 If anything, I am going to get a NOS DAC and mod it real good. I am super interested in the BottleHead DAC too though.

Good luck with your build as well.
beerchug.gif

How about implementing a Philips TDA1541a? Still a remarkable chip if you like a more analogue sound. 

I'm not surprised that you're happy with the Hifimans. They are the second best dynamic out there after all :wink: But seriously, you should maybe look into vintage amps to power your planars. They can work surprisingly well :) And because you are a bit handy with a solder iron you could make a lot of investment!  

Dec 31, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #7,084 of 29,017
  How about implementing a Philips TDA1541a? Still a remarkable chip if you like a more analogue sound. 

I'm not surprised that you're happy with the Hifimans. They are the second best dynamic out there after all :wink: But seriously, you should maybe look into vintage amps to power your planars. They can work surprisingly well :) And because you are a bit handy with a solder iron you could make a lot of investment!  

Yeah I am currently looking at a TeraDak Chameleon that uses 16x TDA1543. If i were to get it, I would update the power regulation, try to implement an Amanero USB, upgrade caps and perhaps put in a toroid. I need to investigate the I2S further to verify it can accommodate the Amanero board though, then I am all in :)

I'm still looking at some Vintage, but truth be told, there is almost zero benefit to getting one these days unless I find one in a dumpster lol. They have become overpriced now IMO. Granted, there are some topologies that are worth the money, but at what cost of money/time to restore vs. something I can just build myself brand new? Decisions...

I suppose you could say "but it's like restoring an old muscle car", yeah sure, I can totally understand the satisfaction of doing that.

Dec 31, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #7,085 of 29,017
  Yeah I am currently looking at a TeraDak Chameleon that uses 16x TDA1543. If i were to get it, I would update the power regulation, try to implement an Amanero USB, upgrade caps and perhaps put in a toroid. I need to investigate the I2S further to verify it can accommodate the Amanero board though, then I am all in :)

I'm still looking at some Vintage, but truth be told, there is almost zero benefit to getting one these days unless I find one in a dumpster lol. They have become overpriced now IMO. Granted, there are some topologies that are worth the money, but at what cost of money/time to restore vs. something I can just build myself brand new? Decisions...

I suppose you could say "but it's like restoring an old muscle car", yeah sure, I can totally understand the satisfaction of doing that.

I used to own a Dac ah Lite that used 8x TDA1543. Standard it had amazing bass but was edgy on the treble. IMO the TDA1541a is a different beast.  You could maybe dismantle an old philips cd player and rehouse the dac section with a toroidal transformer etc. Would it be as easy as that..? I'm no good at electronics, but you become familiar with certain chips etc. I use an Arcam black box (TDA1541a) sometimes and it works really well with a neutral amp. Big warm spacious sound.  

Dec 31, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #7,086 of 29,017
Had the HD800 for a year and sold them 4 weeks ago.Don't miss them as I needed something else.
As good as they were there was something about them I couldn't get used to.
It is hard to find words for it but it reminded me of tromp 'oeil wall paintings.Mine had lots of bass and a really meaty sound with the Crack or my vintage Pioneer SX1010 but I always had the impression it was a wafer thin illusion of it.Like a tromp l'oeil!
So goodbye to this entertaining thread and happy 2014.

Dec 31, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #7,087 of 29,017
 ^^Another one who has under-amped em... 
rolleyes.gif

I Joke! Good luck with your next voyage bud 
beerchug.gif

Dec 31, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #7,088 of 29,017
   ^^Another one who has under-amped em... 
rolleyes.gif

I Joke! Good luck with your next voyage bud 
beerchug.gif

maybe your right 
wink.gif

Dec 31, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #7,089 of 29,017
It's more than likely that your mind is doing a great deal on this sonic change. Maybe the cables did make a change slightly, but generally it doesn't make that big of a difference. It's so small that even on some days you'll find the stock cables sound exactly the same and or even slightly better. The mind is a very powerful thing.

It's certainly not a fundamental difference, but there is enough of a change that the indefinably irritating character that I sometimes get from the HD800 is tamed a bit. It just sounds a little more correct, and less affected.

I have no idea what the stock cables are made from, but they certainly seem to have a little bit of a thinner quality in terms of sound, more like a telephone line sort of sound. I know that my rig is a little bit bright for the HD800 so maybe it is something that stands out more for me.

I am supposed to soon receive the well reviewed Questyle CMA 800R and I hope it will have a different treble quality. I will shoot it out against the Burson and sell the loser.

Dec 31, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #7,090 of 29,017
I am not one who believes in cable magic when it comes to HPs cuz I can't hear the differences.  Other people who have spent $ on upgraded cables of course could tell and appreciate the improvements.  My ears are just not that good.
In pro-audio, when I used to run speaker cable/snakes that are hundred feet long, cable quality/gauge do make obvious difference.

Dec 31, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #7,091 of 29,017
I used to be able to tell the difference in hp cables, but now I can't. I think it came down to not caring anymore... Seriously, when you buy an upgrade cable you want it to sound better. But if you don't care, it doesn't sound any different. That can't be said of changing other components and the differences IME.  

Anyways guys the Currawong's don't like cable talk... Even if we do, just saying.

Dec 31, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #7,092 of 29,017
  I used to be able to tell the difference in hp cables, but now I can't. I think it came down to not caring anymore... Seriously, when you buy an upgrade cable you want it to sound better. But if you don't care, it doesn't sound any different. That can't be said of changing other components and the differences IME.  

Anyways guys the Currawong's don't like cable talk... Even if we do, just saying.

i just got my ears syringed today by the doctor - made a huge difference to my listening session today - more than any rig component! 

Dec 31, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #7,093 of 29,017
  i just got my ears syringed today by the doctor - made a huge difference to my listening session today - more than any rig component! 

Thats something I've never had done.  My dad loves getting it done... I can't stand the thought of it. I rarely get wax in my ears though. There's never any when I stick my finger in anyways... Yuk! 

Dec 31, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #7,094 of 29,017

Thats something I've never had done.  My dad loves getting it done... I can't stand the thought of it. I rarely get wax in my ears though. There's never any when I stick my finger in anyways... Yuk! 

Could it be possible that your fingers are too stubby to fit in the ear? You shouldnt let it build up like that. I use a Q-Tip once every 2 days, habit I suppose.

Dec 31, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #7,095 of 29,017

Could it be possible that your fingers are too stubby to fit in the ear? You shouldnt let it build up like that. I use a Q-Tip once every 2 days, habit I suppose.

The older you get the more wax builds up....Another thing to look forward to....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back