The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Dec 30, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #7,066 of 29,017
  or use this (even has lid color options):
http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/lunchbots-uno-stainless-lunch-container-stainless-lid-1-container/1y-1005?sourceType=sc&source=PG&cm_mmc=PriceGrabber-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&utm_source=PriceGrabber&utm_medium=CSE&utm_campaign=Lunchbots&utm_content=1Y-1005&mr:referralID=add814ea-71a7-11e3-beb7-001b2166c2c0#.UsH9pv-A3mE

OMG BEST IDEA EVER.... a Spiderman lunchbox!

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #7,067 of 29,017
Just welcome my HD800 home today.  It will be long nights for a few days...  I'll re-terminate the cable in 4 pin XLR when the plug comes in.

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #7,069 of 29,017
  OMG BEST IDEA EVER.... a Spiderman lunchbox!

I just noticed they have one with dividers inside it:
http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/lunchbots-duo-stainless-steel-lunch-container-orange-1-container/1y-1003#.UsIA_P-A3mE
and another one that is insulated!!!!
http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/lunchbots-thermal-stainless-insulated-container-dark-blue-1-container/1y-1008#.UsIA7f-A3mE

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #7,070 of 29,017
I think I have finally gained some ground in my love hate HD800 relationship. Finally got my Furutech iHP-35Hx cables for my HD800. There were a few postings on these here some months back and ever since seeing the pics I had been very curious. I finally managed to track down a North American supplier (Parts Connexion) and even managed to get a discount.

I gather the stock cables are quite silver in composition and changing them out has been a positive change so far. The high end glassiness and harshness is gone and there is much more mid detail as opposed to the detail being all in the highs before. Great looking cables, although not in the fancy braided audiophile style and the 1.3M length is just right for me. This is literally the first time I have even toe tapped with the HD800. Pretty pleased with these so far.

Dec 30, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #7,073 of 29,017
Yeah I built a balanced one. This amp is seriously good. You don't even realize it's powered on, dead quiet. There is no shortage of power, approx. 7W into 100 ohms, and I can't even measure the output impedance with a standard DMM. Music is effortless, airy, and is the most transparent headphone amp I have never heard lol! I am currently using it with just the DA8's preamp output, but I can tell it deserves more. I wouldn't hesitate to put this in front of a much costlier DAC. Bass is also incredible, but it has no bloom, so what you get is exactly what your DAC is capable of. It really is a gem, and I can't believe no one else around here hasn't thought of getting this amp. It's also quite small, and I am wanting to put either a Khozmo or Alps quad pot inside the box. If I was to sum up this amp in one word it would be "pure".

Best,
Brunk

Congrats on the successful build brunk! I was wondering when you were going to resurface to share some impressions! Figured you must be too busy enjoying the music. What are your primary phones going to be now?

My boards are still sitting in their envelopes - going to have to get it in gear one of these days and check to see whether all the parts are available again. Here's hoping the se se version sounds akin to the bal bal.

Dec 30, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #7,074 of 29,017
I think I have finally gained some ground in my love hate HD800 relationship. Finally got my Furutech iHP-35Hx cables for my HD800. There were a few postings on these here some months back and ever since seeing the pics I had been very curious. I finally managed to track down a North American supplier (Parts Connexion) and even managed to get a discount.

I gather the stock cables are quite silver in composition and changing them out has been a positive change so far. The high end glassiness and harshness is gone and there is much more mid detail as opposed to the detail being all in the highs before. Great looking cables, although not in the fancy braided audiophile style and the 1.3M length is just right for me. This is literally the first time I have even toe tapped with the HD800. Pretty pleased with these so far.
It's more than likely that your mind is doing a great deal on this sonic change. Maybe the cables did make a change slightly, but generally it doesn't make that big of a difference. It's so small that even on some days you'll find the stock cables sound exactly the same and or even slightly better. The mind is a very powerful thing.

Dec 30, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #7,075 of 29,017
Congrats on the successful build brunk! I was wondering when you were going to resurface to share some impressions! Figured you must be too busy enjoying the music. What are your primary phones going to be now?

My boards are still sitting in their envelopes - going to have to get it in gear one of these days and check to see whether all the parts are available again. Here's hoping the se se version sounds akin to the bal bal.

Yeah, I had some stuff to re-order (first-time build woes) but it got it straightened out. My primaries will be the HE-6, and HE-500 as secondary. I am not sure if I will get another headphone in the near future because I am quite pleased with what I have already. Plus, a lot of listening now is with my horns....dat magic midrange! 
tongue_smile.gif
 If anything, I am going to get a NOS DAC and mod it real good. I am super interested in the BottleHead DAC too though.

Good luck with your build as well.
beerchug.gif

Dec 30, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #7,076 of 29,017
Let me know what you think. (edit: re-read your post - my findings also - I got the 3M) When I did some research here it was poo-pooed. Got it (anyway) at TAVES from Charles @ Headfone Shop.  I also have a Q cable but use iHP the most of the time.  Saving the Q for the LCD-X.  It is a beautiful cable. This should be stock with the HD800
wink_face.gif

Quote:

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #7,077 of 29,017
  Yeah, I had some stuff to re-order (first-time build woes) but it got it straightened out. My primaries will be the HE-6, and HE-500 as secondary. I am not sure if I will get another headphone in the near future because I am quite pleased with what I have already. Plus, a lot of listening now is with my horns....dat magic midrange! 
tongue_smile.gif
 If anything, I am going to get a NOS DAC and mod it real good. I am super interested in the BottleHead DAC too though.

beerchug.gif

What was it that you built? I am starting building this year as well. I'm thinking of starting with the RJM Audio Sapphire and moving on to other things from there.  

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #7,080 of 29,017
tongue_smile.gif

beerchug.gif

this one of the horns you're talking about? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back